PC Optimizers - Real Fix or Just Snake Oil?

I recently installed a fresh copy of Windows and at a friend's suggestion I also installed Advanced SystemCare for its Speed Boost option in the hopes that it might squeeze slightly faster framerates from my outdated AMD FX-4300 CPU.

I was genuinely surprised when I ran a full system scan and it claimed to have found 9,798 browser security issues and 292 registry errors (see attached). As I said, this was a fresh install of Windows. It only had a few applications and the latest Windows updates installed (Chrome, Firefox, AVG Free, Steam, CCleaner, Advanced SystemCare and a few mainstream games downloaded from Steam). Also, this was after I had just finished running CCleaner and fixed several registry errors that it claimed to have discovered.

My theory is that most of these supposed optimizers and speed boosters aren't actually fixing much if anything at all and they are just a ploy to get you to install other bundled bloatware and malware.

I did a search to see if I could find any benchmark tests on the various PC optimizers available but came up dry. What are your thoughts on this? Do you use third party optimizing software? If so, which ones and do they honestly make any kind of noticable difference in your computer's performance?

advanced-systemcare.png

Unless there's a real problem that they can somehow fix, most system tuners/optimizers are purely snake oil. Some PC cleaning tools are rather adept at clearing up space, which the end user may find useful (CCleaner).

LOL something is fishy if a clean install gets those results. The best optimizer is not to have junkware begging you to pay for premium.

Just now, Shadestones said:

Unless there's a real problem that they can somehow fix, most system tuners/optimizers are purely snake oil. Some PC cleaning tools are rather adept at clearing up space, which the end user may find useful (CCleaner).

I think you're right. I hadn't heard of Advanced SystemCare before but it seemed to be legit. I haven't found that it actually makes much of a difference yet but at least it wasn't trying to install WeatherBug haha

Check out the PC Optimizer I found...

Image result for snake oil

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

15 minutes ago, crashypants87 said:

I did a search to see if I could find any benchmark tests on the various PC optimizers available but came up dry. What are your thoughts on this? Do you use third party optimizing software? If so, which ones and do they honestly make any kind of noticable difference in your computer's performance?

I dont trust them. Update your windows and drivers. A clean install will always have vulnerabilities. Think about this; if there was a way to better optimize windows dont you think the Microsoft Corporation would already be doing this? They do have some sort of "gaming" mode for windows 10 but that has shown to only be good for low end hardware.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Razer Cortex works if you have a really cheap set-up, although the best bet is to just upgrade if your current hardware isn't doing it for you.

Sidenote: all that Razer Cortex does is suspend certain running applications that are unneeded while you game, something you can do manually if you wish- but Razer Cortex makes it easier.

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

I dont trust them. Update your windows and drivers. A clean install will always have vulnerabilities. Think about this; if there was a way to better optimize windows dont you think the Microsoft Corporation would already be doing this? They do have some sort of "gaming" mode for windows 10 but that has shown to only be good for low end hardware.

I had heard about the Gaming Mode optimization built into Windows 10. Is that part of the Fall Creators Update or has that been rolled out already?

4 minutes ago, EPENEX said:

Razer Cortex works if you have a really cheap set-up, although the best bet is to just upgrade if your current hardware isn't doing it for you.

I am planning to upgrade as soon as I can afford it. I already have everything I need for my new Ryzen 5 1600x build except for the CPU. I'm still saving up. In the meantime, I plan to squeeze every last drop of performance that I can from my old gaming rig before I retire it.

I haven't tried Razer Cortex before. I'll give that a try. Thanks for the tip!

Just now, crashypants87 said:

I had heard about the Gaming Mode optimization built into Windows 10. Is that part of the Fall Creators Update or has that been rolled out already?

Plenty of youtube videos on it.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Isn't advanced system care the one that's supposed to be a really harmful virus?

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

23 minutes ago, YedZed said:

Isn't advanced system care the one that's supposed to be a really harmful virus?

lol oh god

Registry Cleaners are always gonna be pretty useless, and/or potentially dangerous to the OS. CCleaner and other stuff that clears temp files is fine though

7 hours ago, crashypants87 said:

I recently installed a fresh copy of Windows and at a friend's suggestion I also installed Advanced SystemCare for its Speed Boost option in the hopes that it might squeeze slightly faster framerates from my outdated AMD FX-4300 CPU.

I was genuinely surprised when I ran a full system scan and it claimed to have found 9,798 browser security issues and 292 registry errors (see attached). As I said, this was a fresh install of Windows. It only had a few applications and the latest Windows updates installed (Chrome, Firefox, AVG Free, Steam, CCleaner, Advanced SystemCare and a few mainstream games downloaded from Steam). Also, this was after I had just finished running CCleaner and fixed several registry errors that it claimed to have discovered.

My theory is that most of these supposed optimizers and speed boosters aren't actually fixing much if anything at all and they are just a ploy to get you to install other bundled bloatware and malware.

advanced-systemcare.png

Don't believe everything you hear. Im sure all the people who are saying iobit is bad it'll give you virus's and install rootkits and then bootnuke your hard drive or SSD have never used the program at all. I have been using iobit programs for almost 6 years now and i can confirm that the program do its job.

The key tools you want use are SMART RAM, turbo booster ( game or work mode) and game booster. Smart defrag helps extend the life span of hard drive immensely. The last one is malware fighter best protection ive used. Key thing though in order to see the best results all programs should be fully unlocked, its your job to figure that part out. Payed or not payed

The security fixes are just software changing some values and stuff like that. Those software are most useful to clear temp files and accessing startup list.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Never had an issue with CCleaner.  I've never heard of the application you're using.  I'd trust CCleaner though.

3 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

The security fixes are just software changing some values and stuff like that. Those software are most useful to clear temp files and accessing startup list.

Yeah but what values? It's so vague which is why I don't trust Advanced SystemCare. At least CCleaner tells you what it's doing, like clearing browser cache, and it gives you everything it changed on the log. Advanced SystemCare just gives you a Fix button.

4 hours ago, vash9852 said:

Don't believe everything you hear. Im sure all the people who are saying iobit is bad it'll give you virus's and install rootkits and then bootnuke your hard drive or SSD have never used the program at all. I have been using iobit programs for almost 6 years now and i can confirm that the program do its job.

The key tools you want use are SMART RAM, turbo booster ( game or work mode) and game booster. Smart defrag helps extend the life span of hard drive immensely. The last one is malware fighter best protection ive used. Key thing though in order to see the best results all programs should be fully unlocked, its your job to figure that part out. Payed or not payed

I appreciate your response. I tried the tools you mentioned which seemed legit but I didn't notice any real difference in performance. I'm wondering if there are any benchmarks out there that prove the effectiveness of these tools like memory cleaners. If it is just closing background processes, does that mean that these applications will load slower the next time you open them? Does it work the same way as the 3rd party optimization apps you can download from the Google Play Store on Android? And what background processes are actually being closed? Are these Windows processes? As far as I can tell, there is no log that shows you what it is actually doing. If it is closing unneeded processes that are running in the background, I would rather find out which ones they are and possibly just remove them. The lack of transparency makes me wary of giving them my credit card info to purchase the full program.

10 hours ago, SilverMight said:

Registry Cleaners are always gonna be pretty useless, and/or potentially dangerous to the OS. CCleaner and other stuff that clears temp files is fine though

I would love to see someone actually benchmark these programs and compile a list of the ones that are actually helpful. I would love to have an arsenal of tools available to fix software issues and optimize performance on my PC. Currently, with so many options available and with so many of them potentially being hazardous, it's hard to justify.

I agree about CCleaner, though. I have been using it for years and it is very transparent about what it does and does exactly what it advertises. Not sure about the registry fixes, though.

Most of these just have a messed up time and date format when installed, which purposely shows a random amount of errors that mean nothing. Once you give them money, all it does is change the time and date format so it is correct. Very lucrative.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this post solved your problem, please press the check below :).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

14 hours ago, Saddy said:

Most of these just have a messed up time and date format when installed, which purposely shows a random amount of errors that mean nothing. Once you give them money, all it does is change the time and date format so it is correct. Very lucrative.

Interesting, I haven't heard this before but I want to believe it. Any research to back this up? That seems fraudulent if it's true.

4 hours ago, crashypants87 said:

Interesting, I haven't heard this before but I want to believe it. Any research to back this up? That seems fraudulent if it's true.

I can't find it right now, but I remember hearing about it from multiple computer security YouTubers.

If this post solved your problem, please press the check below :).

On 7/23/2017 at 8:36 AM, vash9852 said:

Their registry cleaner literally destroyed an older PC of mine. Programs wouldn't run at all because of it. Came up with some obscene message. Restarted, and the OS was dead. Keep in mind I was 9 when this happening, so not a great troubleshooter, but still.

Practically all computer optimizers are snake oil. They hide behind scary sounding words and alarms to get people who don't know better to buy their software that does something your system or application can do already. As some measure of proof, I tried making Windows 10 lean from a fresh install. I saved about 600MB of RAM and cut about a third of the processes. The amount of performance I got was anywhere from <1% to maybe 2% on average.

The impact of the OS by itself should be very small. If it's not, then 9 times out of 10, something else is making the OS not behave.