Burned Out With Tech Jobs

PineyCreek

Kind of tired of working in the tech industry.  I've worked various technical support roles for computers, home theater systems, televisions, been a network administrator, a network engineer, a network security engineer and technical support for enterprise security appliances.  The pay is good (now anyways) and I know the common issue is always me.  I love technology.  I just am tired of having to pick up the phone for it.  Any suggestions?  I'll take any comments...deep, shallow, constructive, funny, 'suck it up buttercup', etc.

2 hours ago, PineyCreek said:

I've worked various technical support roles...

There's ya problem. Why not learn Software Engineering and then enjoy the easy fun life?

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Maybe get a hobby to get your mind off work?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

Maybe get a hobby to get your mind off work?

That's only going to treat the symptoms of the real issue,  which is a job one fucking hates. Life is too short for that so why not go after the problem at the source.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

16 hours ago, Nuluvius said:

enjoy the easy fun life?

wait, software engineering is easy and fun? 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

4 hours ago, PineyCreek said:

Kind of tired of working in the tech industry.  I've worked various technical support roles for computers, home theater systems, televisions, been a network administrator, a network engineer, a network security engineer and technical support for enterprise security appliances.  The pay is good (now anyways) and I know the common issue is always me.  I love technology.  I just am tired of having to pick up the phone for it.  Any suggestions?  I'll take any comments...deep, shallow, constructive, funny, 'suck it up buttercup', etc.

Heavy Equipment Operator

Oil Rig Roughneck

Your own construction company, start off with easy shit like roofing, fences, decks, patio's, concrete work. Build up the business' reputation and get into renovations with a red seal carpenter, hire some cheap manual laborers and grow baby grow.

Or do you not like to get your finger nails dirty?

If not then software could be your gig. Carpal Tunnel.

You laugh, ok thats what I thought anyways of you.

2 minutes ago, yathis said:

Heavy Equipment Operator

Oil Rig Roughneck

Your own construction company, start off with easy shit like roofing, fences, decks, patio's, concrete work. Build up the business and get into renovations with a red seal.

While all noble and necessary professions, I'm a bit frail for some of those jobs.  Also I'm sensing a fair amount of potential sarcasm :)

1 minute ago, PineyCreek said:

While all noble and necessary professions, I'm a bit frail for some of those jobs.  Also I'm sensing a fair amount of potential sarcasm :)

Nope, no sarcasm to be honest with you.

Maybe a Bestbuy salesman then?

6 minutes ago, yathis said:

Nope, no sarcasm to be honest with you.

Maybe a Bestbuy salesman then?

I'm sorry if I offended then.  In regards to Best Buy salesmen, I'm likely overqualified for the technical side of things, and I'd still like to keep my standard of living.

To be honest, if I confront myself with the other possibilities, anything else that I'd likely to be interested in will take a fair amount of education and experience.  I suppose there's no quick fix for something like this.  Perhaps I should focus on my hobbies that might actually make money some day, if however little, such as fixing computers on the side, writing, etc.  Been thinking about doing some review and how to guides on YouTube even though that market's pretty saturated.  Somewhere in there I can keep training and try to find a job with a better fit.  Lots of people are unhappy in their line of work, and plenty of people are worse off than me.  I should be happy with what I have while trying to improve it at the same time.

Sorry, went a little deep there.

@PineyCreek Hey bruh, nothing offends me online. I literally mean nothing at all.

All I am doing is spitting out suggestions for you, to try and be helpful. From what I read you wanted idea's of a course of action to change your job. I simply stated some careers that have very high upside potential. I dunno how much you make doing what you are currently doing. I'd assume $50K, maybe even $75K, I really have no clue.

Thinking about it now, man you could make a killing spinning your skill set into oil and gas. Whether its starting off as an IT guy with a O&G company, and working your way up to Geoscience computing, maps, lease services..... all paper cut activities. Get on with Nabors, go to offshore and cha ching. Forget about your measly $75K/year job bruh. You could be sipping Margarita's in Cancun for half the year, 21 days at a time.

Just now, yathis said:

@PineyCreek Hey bruh, nothing offends me online. I literally mean nothing at all.

All I am doing is spitting out suggestions for you, to try and be helpful. From what I read you wanted idea's of a course of action to change your job. I simply stated some careers that have very high upside potential. I dunno how much you make doing what you are currently doing. I'd assume $50K, maybe even $75K, I really have no clue.

Thinking about it now, man you could make a killing spinning your skill set into oil and gas. Whether its starting off as an IT guy with a O&G company, and working your way up to Geoscience computing, maps, lease services..... all paper cut activities. Get on with Nabors, go to offshore and cha ching. Forget about your measly $75K/year job bruh.

Hmm, I can see the potential.  I'll look into it.

Just now, PineyCreek said:

Hmm, I can see the potential.  I'll look into it.

What Country you in?

Anything you do you will end up hating it. We recently had a young doctor in my city hit the headlines for showing up drunk and verbally abuse a patient. I think you are at the point in life that most non-useless people make and that is where you want to move into self-employment and attempt to turn that into a viable business. 

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Anything you do you will end up hating it. We recently had a young doctor in my city hit the headlines for showing up drunk and verbally abuse a patient. I think you are at the point in life that most non-useless people make and that is where you want to move into self-employment and attempt to turn that into a viable business. 

I'd say that's a fair assessment.  Admittedly, I'd rather work where I only have myself to blame for my failures and I can feel particularly good about my successes.  I haven't reached the showing up drunk stage though...although my current place of employment does have a beer fridge.  It's a good company, good benefits (again, 'suck it up buttercup, you've got it pretty good').  Work just feels unfulfilling.

Also, keep the comments coming.  You guys are likely far more effective than a therapist or HR counselor would be, and I am enjoying exploring others' viewpoints on the subject.

1 hour ago, PineyCreek said:

I haven't reached the showing up drunk stage though

Confucius said only when a grasshopper has mastered hopping may he jump with the beverage of hops.

Seriously start a business. Do something else in a different industry. When the next recession hits, or you get laid off, you will thank me for telling you to diversify your income sources.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

3 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Anything you do you will end up hating it.

Total garbage. I love what I do - it's a hobby and a job.

8 hours ago, PineyCreek said:

I haven't reached the showing up drunk stage though

That is perhaps because you are not apart of the 20% of the population that are an alcoholic/addict. BTW That is a real number and major corporations use it. But that part of it all maybe just hiding back there somewhere, or you may have dodged that gene.

Could just become a zombie like me and get anti-depression/anxiety medicine that makes you feel numb so you can go on doing your one purpose in life which is to pay bills.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

My entire life is references to TV shows and Memes.

Dell OptiPlex GX1, Intel Pentium 3 @ 450MHz, 128MB PC133 RAM, Windows 98 Second Edition, Office 97' Professional

18 hours ago, PineyCreek said:

I just am tired of having to pick up the phone for it.  Any suggestions?

Why don't you search a job that doesn't require you to pick up a phone that often? Tech industry is so large there is surely a job for you out there.

I've also been in support my whole working life (Except in retail when Under 18, And Fuck that shit) I've recently taken a step back from large corporate Sys Admin to Senior Support Tech because I changed country and had to grab the first job that popped up, and yeah man also hating it. but the good side is I have 5+ years in Tech support so I'm starting a BCOM, Time to start getting into Management, Hoping to become a IT Manager and than I'm still involved in tech and researched and testing new systems, few boring meetings with the other managers but I'm not picking up a phone to help idiot users. 

Prob is support does pay well enough for it to become your life, but man it'll destroy you. for me I'm also looking at ways to get out of the support side and into a newer Tech field. Unfortunately I've never had much attraction to coding  

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

10 hours ago, Nuluvius said:

Total garbage. I love what I do - it's a hobby and a job.

You must not have been doing it for very long, then.  Let us know how it feels twenty years on.

8 hours ago, Ringthane said:

You must not have been doing it for very long, then.  Let us know how it feels twenty years on.

I'll choose to ignore that tiny obnoxious noise for now.

So in the last decade I have been able to enjoy choosing where I work from i.e. home, an office or a beach for example, when I work i.e. setting my own hours/days and having the ability to bugger off on holiday to a great many remote tropical islands to mention just a few of the things on the quality of life side.

5 hours ago, yathis said:

Variety is the Spice of Life.

Indeed, and I have had the pleasure to work in a wide verity of different sectors within the industry so far including robotics and embedded, image processing, data mining, statistical analysis and media research as well as seeing genetic engineering and manipulation, energy management and aerospace & defence sectors. Moreover I'm free to choose whether I contract or freelance or go permanent for a while. In fact I have to turn down work on a regular basis.

All of this is so very vastly different to the other decade and a half, at least, that I spent in menial blue collar work, before I raised much the same question: 'What the hell am I doing with my life?'

Perhaps you might like to point out or enlighten me as to which particular area I should hate? xD Or maybe you simply just haven't found what makes you happy as yet.