So this is a funny story related to my 4770k

After i resetted my PC (because it was about time) i decided to go tinker with my motherboard bios, i noticed a 'max performance' setting, so i turned it on, also turned chassis and CPU fan on turbo cuz y'know, why not.
My motherboard is a asus B85M-G (First PC here, pre-assembled by a shop, will do next one myself and make sure its an ATX board)  and my CPU is an i7 4770k.

I noticed in task manager that my CPU clock speed was boosted to 4.2ghz, and i was suprised, i couldn't reach that speed normally on this motherboard since it's not an overclockable chipset.

So i went into gaming, with my gtx970 being our humble assistant, first Battlefield 1, with MSI afterburner for stat tracking, CPU never went above 70C and everything is rock solid stable (Cooler master hyper 212 evo for the epic win)

Other games? No problem!

Now my question is, would it be safe to leave it on this mode and let the CPU run above 4ghz on this chipset, or would it be wiser to reset it back to it's 3.50 ghz? (3.9ghz actually, as i used intel XTU to set the cpu to perma turbo boost)

Thanks in advance for the answers!

You can't swim against the waves, but you can learn to surf them.

Task Manager is often incorrect with clockspeeds

Check using NZXT CAM or Afterburner that the CPU is actually at 4.2

idk

Some older 8 series Mobos could overclock through some tweaks. 

Intel wasn't too happy about that and tried to order all the manufacturers to remove that option. Some didn't get removed, most got. You could have one of those happy boards that kept that feature.

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

It's running at 4.2ghz, intel XTU also says so.

Extremely happy with this! :D

You can't swim against the waves, but you can learn to surf them.