Bluetooth 5.0 USB Dongle or PCIe card available?

Catalonia

We do have already some Bluetooth 5.0 devices in the market, (Galaxy S8 for example)

But, do anyone knows any Bluetooth 5.0 USB dongle or PCIe card to buy?

I actually had a really hard time finding Bluetooth 4.2 devices, (only a PCIe card), so I guess that for now, 4.0 is all we can get isn't it?

3 minutes ago, Catalonia said:

We do have already some Bluetooth 5.0 devices in the market, (Galaxy S8 for example)

I actually had a really hard time finding Bluetooth 4.2 devices, (only a PCIe card), so I guess that for now, 4.0 is all we can get isn't it?

Apologies, but as much as you having a hard time finding Bluetooth 5.0 device is news worthy, and related to tech. This is not the tech news we are exactly looking for on this forum.

Thread moved

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Apologies, but as much as you having a hard time finding Bluetooth 5.0 device is news worthy, and related to tech. This is not the tech news we are exactly looking for on this forum.

Thread moved

Ooops. Sorry for that :P

1 minute ago, Stefan1024 said:

Buy a Noedic nRF52 development board and connect it via USB to your PC. Writ a driver and you are done /s

It can't be long until we get dongels.

Shouldn't.

But as I said, when was Bluetooth 4.2 released? Sooo long ago. Still no Bluetooth 4.2 Dongles anywhere.

Seems like everything  is stuck in Bluetooth 4.0

1 minute ago, Catalonia said:

Shouldn't.

But as I said, when was Bluetooth 4.2 released? Sooo long ago. Still no Bluetooth 4.2 Dongles anywhere.

Seems like everything  is stuck in Bluetooth 4.0

Do you actually have a peripheral to pair it with? Developmet kits with 5.0 are out, but it takes time to adapt the hardware chips. And by the way the BT stack is huge and developing and testing the firmware is a fair bit of work.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

51 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

yes, it will be, BT 5.0 is not anything groundbreaking, it's more of an incremental upgrade, phones will be able to use its feature more effectively than a PC. 

-http://www.mouser.com/pdfdocs/bluetooth-5-faq.pdf

OP why do you want BT 5.0? 

Basically because it offers better performance, better power management, I happen to have a BT5 device, from now on many devices will offer BT5 too. It seems like why have BT 2 or 3 when you can have BT4. Is technology moving forward.

51 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

Do you actually have a peripheral to pair it with? Developmet kits with 5.0 are out, but it takes time to adapt the hardware chips. And by the way the BT stack is huge and developing and testing the firmware is a fair bit of work.

If there's a market they'll spend this resources doing it. In fact, I REALLY do hope that BT5 drivers work better under W10 than most BT4 drivers out there, especially Broadcom ones. I end up having so many problems with BT Headphones that I really hope things will get fixed in future releases.

2 hours ago, Catalonia said:

Ooops. Sorry for that :P

Hehe! It's all good! :D

3 hours ago, Catalonia said:

Please note, it's not Bluetooth 5.0. There's no point numbers now. It's just Bluetooth 5.

Why do you want one?

If you're a system integrator trying to play around with it for product development your best bet right now is the reference boards.

If you're a consumer, there's no benefit in it for you anytime in the foreseeable future. The speed benefit for full Bluetooth was dropped due to power constraints, so you only get Bluetooth Smart performance improvements. Increased Bluetooth Smart (Low Energy) bandwidth, range, and PAN device capacity.

The Snapdragon 835 has Bluetooth 5 to tick a feature checklist for consumers. That's why the S8 and Pixel 2 and other devices have it. Not because it has any real-world benefit for end users.

We won't likely see Bluetooth 5 dongles for another year or two, until after there's some Bluetooth 5 peripherals available.

You can find some cheap knockoff adapters that support 4.2. Its just a firmware/driver stack update.

Keep in mind Windows 7, 8, and 10 only have up to 4.1 support in the built in Bluetooth stack, no 4.2 or 5.

Bluez on Linux supports 4.2 and parts of 5, but isn't certified for 5 yet. If you plan to use it with Linux make sure you're running the latest version of bluez, since most distros have older packages for stability.

5 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Please note, it's not Bluetooth 5.0. There's no point numbers now. It's just Bluetooth 5.

Why do you want one?

If you're a system integrator trying to play around with it for product development your best bet right now is the reference boards.

If you're a consumer, there's no benefit in it for you anytime in the foreseeable future. The speed benefit for full Bluetooth was dropped due to power constraints, so you only get Bluetooth Smart performance improvements. Increased Bluetooth Smart (Low Energy) bandwidth, range, and PAN device capacity.

The Snapdragon 835 has Bluetooth 5 to tick a feature checklist for consumers. That's why the S8 and Pixel 2 and other devices have it. Not because it has any real-world benefit for end users.

We won't likely see Bluetooth 5 dongles for another year or two, until after there's some Bluetooth 5 peripherals available.

You can find some cheap knockoff adapters that support 4.2. Its just a firmware/driver stack update.

Keep in mind Windows 7, 8, and 10 only have up to 4.1 support in the built in Bluetooth stack, no 4.2 or 5.

Bluez on Linux supports 4.2 and parts of 5, but isn't certified for 5 yet. If you plan to use it with Linux make sure you're running the latest version of bluez, since most distros have older packages for stability.

You seem to know a bit about bluetooth 5.  Instead of me trying to sift through tons of documentation, perhaps you can help me.  When the dongles eventually launch for 5, will we be able to use dual audio mode with older bluetooth speakers/headphones?

2 hours ago, elkenrod said:

You seem to know a bit about bluetooth 5.  Instead of me trying to sift through tons of documentation, perhaps you can help me.  When the dongles eventually launch for 5, will we be able to use dual audio mode with older bluetooth speakers/headphones?

Dual audio isn't some magical new Bluetooth 5 thing. All of the changes to Bluetooth 5 revolve around improvements to Bluetooth Smart (Low Energy) and it's use for IoT.

Afaict from the Bluetooth 5 documentation, there's no changes to a2dp (the profile for transmitting audio). "Dual Audio" appears to be just some driver hackery to take advantage of the radio physically being able to handle multiple connections, it's a software thing in the Bluetooth/audio stack not something added by Bluetooth 5.

Don't expect dual audio to become a standard thing, since I'm not even sure how they manage to stay Bluetooth compliant while supporting it.

The Snapdragon 835 (used in the S8) does have an amazing Bluetooth radio built in, but it being amazing has really nothing to do with it supporting Bluetooth 5.

Edit: P.S. Bluetooth 5 has a total modem bandwidth of 2Mbit/s which is double what Bluetooth 4.0+LE supports (1Mbit/s), but Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, which is supported by all Bluetooth 4.0 and Bluetooth 5 devices, supports speeds up to 3Mbit/s, and Bluetooth 3.0+HS, which is rarely used, supports speeds up to 24Mbit/s by binding it with a WiFi transmission channel. Higher Bluetooth version does not mean more speed.

The S8 can't even use the BT5.0 yet since 7.0 Nougat doesn't support it.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

12 minutes ago, Samppa221 said:

Also, while he indicates that you'll get 2x the speed with Bluetooth speakers, in reality nothing will change with them because the speed benefit is over Bluetooth 4.0. Most modern Bluetooth devices use Bluetooth 2.0's EDR mode which already has triple the bandwidth of Bluetooth 4.0, albeit at a much higher power consumption.

• 1 year later...
On 7/23/2017 at 11:20 AM, Sniperfox47 said:

Also, while he indicates that you'll get 2x the speed with Bluetooth speakers, in reality nothing will change with them because the speed benefit is over Bluetooth 4.0. Most modern Bluetooth devices use Bluetooth 2.0's EDR mode which already has triple the bandwidth of Bluetooth 4.0, albeit at a much higher power consumption.

Except headphones which tend to use BLE to lat longer on battery - at least on paper.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/23/2017 at 1:58 AM, Sniperfox47 said:

Dual audio isn't some magical new Bluetooth 5 thing. All of the changes to Bluetooth 5 revolve around improvements to Bluetooth Smart (Low Energy) and it's use for IoT.

Afaict from the Bluetooth 5 documentation, there's no changes to a2dp (the profile for transmitting audio). "Dual Audio" appears to be just some driver hackery to take advantage of the radio physically being able to handle multiple connections, it's a software thing in the Bluetooth/audio stack not something added by Bluetooth 5.

Don't expect dual audio to become a standard thing, since I'm not even sure how they manage to stay Bluetooth compliant while supporting it.

The Snapdragon 835 (used in the S8) does have an amazing Bluetooth radio built in, but it being amazing has really nothing to do with it supporting Bluetooth 5.

Edit: P.S. Bluetooth 5 has a total modem bandwidth of 2Mbit/s which is double what Bluetooth 4.0+LE supports (1Mbit/s), but Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, which is supported by all Bluetooth 4.0 and Bluetooth 5 devices, supports speeds up to 3Mbit/s, and Bluetooth 3.0+HS, which is rarely used, supports speeds up to 24Mbit/s by binding it with a WiFi transmission channel. Higher Bluetooth version does not mean more speed.

As far as I can tell the main features for 5 is the ability to trade speed for distance.  Music takes very little bandwidth so being able to boost the distance ar which it is still viable is quite interesting.  I had a Sol Republic speaker with Motorola BT (not sure which version) but it had a 400 foot range. I have yet to see anything like it ever again, I can only hope that 5 will have that kind of range.  I see many laptops with 5 integrated into thier wireless card now and the only mention of it for desktop use is m.2 to pcie adapter cards with the same laptop wireless card on the board.

On 11/17/2018 at 12:38 PM, vegavin23 said:

Except headphones which tend to use BLE to lat longer on battery - at least on paper.

Holy thread revival, Batman!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone. Bought a JLAB headphones with Bluetooth 5 recently. Found out it wasn't installed on my relatively new computer. The Dongle I have found is only on EBAY at the moment and all the Transmitters are higher in price. Thing is...The Bluetooth 5 does work with my cheap J3pop, so I'm just going to use exclusively with phone. For the price of transmitter I can just by older headphones to be compatible with Bluetooth 4.0. Anyway Want to update this thread a little as new member. Google away, they are finally out there, of course, I suppose some of you already know that since you were already on the lookout. 

15 minutes ago, jasonerasing said:

...The Dongle I have found is only on EBAY at the moment and all the Transmitters are higher in price...

Can you provide a link to that? I just checked fleaBay and couldn't find it.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

1 hour ago, jasonerasing said:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=bluetooth+5.0+adapter

hahaha, fleaBay ...actually I don't use Ebay. So, excuse if the whole thing is a boondoggle. 

Thank you. I misunderstood what you referring to. Sorry.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

• 10 months later...

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread ?, but this is still slightly relevant today (Nov 04, 2019).

But I think I found some solutions on Amazon that should fit the bill quite well, along with an additional benefit of bleeding edge Wi-Fi 6:

Both are new Wi-Fi 6 cards that happen to also tout Bluetooth 5.0 as an additional feature.

• 1 month later...
On 11/4/2019 at 5:28 AM, JamesAndersonJr said:

Both are new Wi-Fi 6 cards that happen to also tout Bluetooth 5.0 as an additional feature.

Be warned: This is NOT a PCIe Bluetooth adapter, it's a PCIe Wifi adapter with a USB Bluetooth adapter glued to it. You need to plug it into a USB header on the motherboard to get bluetooth functionality. All the positive reviews are for the Wifi function, not the Bluetooth.

Yes, this thread is over two years old. And yet, today, we STILL don't have any good BT5 options other than tons of audio transmitters and crappy mislabeled 4.2 adapters.