SMALLEST SLI GAMING RIG – ONE OF A KIND!

Learn more about Project Orthrus: http://geni.us/QKiQ8wz

Follow LukeD on Twitter: https://twitter.com/LukeD_NC

Buy GTX 1080 Ti on Amazon: http://geni.us/szrn

This is, by far, the coolest case that we've laid our hands on so far, and for now it's one of a kind... Project Orthrus!!

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who loves having such power crammed into a little box, I am more fascinated by these types of PCs more than laptops in that genre though, they seem so much more portable, and is getting a lot more affordable.

What LukeD did there, was incredibly smart, something I would have never thought of, you see, as companies try to make PCs smaller and smaller, they don't mind it hindering performance, but LukeD's design supported everything that a normal PC would have, but just shrunk down into a much smaller case (15 litres! I can't believe it) with excellent airflow, and support for SLI and Custom Water Loops which you don't see often, after seeing what this guy did with the case, I'm not surprised that the performance is almost identical to the PC in a bigger case.

Well, I hope the disadvantage isn't the price, though I don't see any disadvantages with it, so far (Oh yeah, other than the one-time stuff like cable-management and stuff which every M-ITX lacks).

That's fucking amazing but it does look like it needs to be just a touch larger in each direction. The way those tubes are bending is very VERY awkward. 

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

I have seen something similar to this, but in a ITX size MOBO + case and with custom watercooling. However it was made in 2012 and used top-of-the-range parts of that time i.e two 7970 in Crossfire and a I7 3930K, so it is not performing as well as this one.

LINK:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1304413/build-log-of-unobtainable-x79-and-crossfire-in-a-white-bitfenix-prodigy

Current Specs: CPU: Intel I5 4690K, Motherboard: ASUS Z97-AR, RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz, GPU: Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 390, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, HDD: 3x Seagate Constellation ES 500GB in RAID 5, PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Case: Antec LanBoy Air Blue/Black. Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate(2012), Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 1.

Jesus christ this thing looks amazing. Though i cant imagine someone attempting to build a custom loop in there. Then again, in some of those glam shots people post online i still cant imagine how they did it... so im more than willing to see someone prove me wrong.

Id love to get something like that case, though im sure when it does go on sale it will be like a run of 500 of them and will cost 300 bucks... I can dream though

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

Outstanding. I think they skipped over the most difficult part though. Cable management. C'mon, I know you just drilled a hole in table, and hid them underneath. xD

Best Excuses:

#1(simple) "Well, I never liked that stupid thing anyway!"

#2(complex) "Obviously there was a flaw in the material, probably due to the inadvertent introduction of contaminants during the manufacturing process."

Now this is more like it! This is way better than the thumbdrive video. Now lets see if you guys can one up this! You can use SLI on a Mini-ITX motherboard using what is called PCI-Express Bifurcation. This will take the single 16x slot and split it into two 8x slots. The X370 chipset supports Bifurcation and ASRock's motherboards are usually pretty good at supporting it, and hey they just released a new ITX motherboard you guys haven't covered yet the Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac. (Hint hint I have one in my Dr Zaber Sentry and it's an awesome board ;)) With the motherboard smaller you can also go smaller on the GPU with custom water cooling you can make your GTX 1080 Ti FEs into single slot cards. Throw in an SFX Power supply and you are off to the races. Now in true LTT fashion you can build a case around these components. Doesn't need to be nice, just small and have RGB!

I think secretly I just want Scrapyard Wars small form factor edition. xD

Just here to say - WOW. I basically want one, once the final build/design process is cleaned up a tad.

Serious Kudos to LukeD.

I'd love to know how loud it is, the PSU looks like a 1u one and those are quite loud iirc.

Anyone know where to buy a custom SLI bridge like the one shown in the video. I want to use to use the lowest and highest PCIE slots for SLI on the asus Maximus IX hero. by counting the slots on the mobo I count 6 slots from the top to bottom slot and only see bridges for sale that are 5 slots max card to card.

10 hours ago, rjfleming82 said:

Anyone know where to buy a custom SLI bridge like the one shown in the video. I want to use to use the lowest and highest PCIE slots for SLI on the asus Maximus IX hero. by counting the slots on the mobo I count 6 slots from the top to bottom slot and only see bridges for sale that are 5 slots max card to card.

Pretty sure the one in the video was custom made by splicing two together. If you are good with a soldering iron and get two long ones that are ribbon cables I would assume you could do it yourself.

• 2 years later...

I know, a bit old topic but still, is this project dead already...looks like what Google tells me.

What about alternatives, looking for the same way of mounting 2x GPU, I don't care if small case or mid, tower.

Much as I'm trying to find this long custom SLI Bridge aka Nvlink.. i cannot :)

All suggestions are welcome, thanks.

On 7/25/2017 at 12:46 PM, rjfleming82 said:

That will be a tad hard as the lowest slot is only wired for x4, unless you want x4/x4 config. 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

1 hour ago, DoctorNick said:

That will be a tad hard as the lowest slot is only wired for x4, unless you want x8/x4 config. 

As mentioned by Linus on the Tetris build, SLI over NVlink will need a minimum of x8.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

On 7/22/2017 at 1:55 PM, Vespertine said:

Maybe because they sound like an airplane?

the title states SMALLEST so no noise is associated with anything

21 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

That will be a tad hard as the lowest slot is only wired for x4, unless you want x8/x4 config. 

always reverts to the lowest

21 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

the title states SMALLEST so no noise is associated with anything

always reverts to the lowest

Yeah your right

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price.