What DAC For Under $150? (And What's an ODAC?)

Max_Settings

I am trying to decide on what DAC I should get to pair with the HD 6XXs and Aune X7S I have coming. My initial pick was the Schiit Modi 2, however I have heard a lot about something called an ODAC? Tons of people say that's about all you will ever need. I am not sure exactly which one they are talking about. I think it is this https://www.jdslabs.com/products/46/standalone-odac-rev-b/ But there are other things from JDS Labs that have similar names. What is the famed "ODAC" I keep hearing about and what DAC should I get under $150? 

1 minute ago, Daniel Z. said:

The 2i2 is for recording through XLR to a PC, I'm looking for something for audiophile headphones

Just now, Max_Settings said:

The 2i2 is for recording through XLR to a PC, I'm looking for something for audiophile headphones

it has output for headphones

it has output for headphones

Yes, but I'm pretty sure it is not really meant to be a high quality DAC.

The schiit audio stuff is good

Yes I know, that's why I said I am probably going with the Modi 2. I just wanted to know if there was something better and what an ODAC is

The ODAC or Objective DAC is simply a brand product from JDSLabs, it does nothing that any other DAC wouldn't do. From what i understand it used to be very competitive but has been left behind by more recent products. The consensus being that there are better products for less.

What you should realise about the Schiit Modi, and the ODAC for that matter, is that it is simply a DAC, with pre-amp or line level outputs. This means you need a separate amp to actually drive any headphones as the outputs are unsuitable to plug a headphone into.

If you look at the Amp/DAC suggestions thread you'll find more info and suggestions as to what you should buy.

16 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Yes I know, that's why I said I am probably going with the Modi 2. I just wanted to know if there was something better and what an ODAC is

The ODAC is a model of DAC made by JDSLabs

My life

1 minute ago, anothertom said:

The ODAC or Objective DAC is simply a brand product from JDSLabs, it does nothing that any other DAC wouldn't do. From what i understand it used to be very competitive but has been left behind by more recent products. The consensus being that there are better products for less.

What you should realise about the Schiit Modi, and the ODAC for that matter, is that it is simply a DAC, with pre-amp or line level outputs. This means you need a separate amp to actually drive any headphones as the outputs are unsuitable to plug a headphone into.

If you look at the Amp/DAC suggestions thread you'll find more info and suggestions as to what you should buy.

Yes I am aware I need a separate AMP. I mentioned in my post that I have already bought an AMP

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

The ODAC is a model of DAC made by JDSLabs

Yes I a aware of that as well, I just wanted to know people's opinions on in and see if the one I linked is correct

The ODAC was designed by Nwavguy and Yoyodyne Consulting to be a very clean, good measuring DAC as an FU to much more expensive units at the time. Is it better than the modi 2, I own both and I cant really tell a difference.  I own a couple of them and they are nice because they are small and easily hidden away compared to the much larger modi 2. Now JDS labs has the OL DAC and the EL DAC. They were designed by JDS labs. From what I have herd the OL DAC is very good with similar functionality to the Modi 2 Uber. The EL DAC isn't worth it in my opinion, just too much money for what it is.

3 minutes ago, Jdnoss1234 said:

The ODAC was designed by Nwavguy and Yoyodyne Consulting to be a very clean, good measuring DAC as an FU to much more expensive units at the time. Is it better than the modi 2, I own both and I cant really tell a difference.  I own a couple of them and they are nice because they are small and easily hidden away compared to the much larger modi 2. Now JDS labs has the OL DAC and the EL DAC. They were designed by JDS labs. From what I have herd the OL DAC is very good with similar functionality to the Modi 2 Uber. The EL DAC isn't worth it in my opinion, just too much money for what it is.

So is this the ODAC? https://www.jdslabs.com/products/46/standalone-odac-rev-b/

And is the ODAC or OL DAC better?

Yes That is the ODAC and sonicly they are both very good so I would base my decision on dollars and features. With an X7s you will want RCA output to keep crosstalk to a minimum. So, the ODAC will run you $170 new or about $120 used with RCAs and will be USB only and powered by USB which means no wall-wart.

The OL dac is $140 and already has RCAs, but it isn't likely you will find one used. The OL DAC also has optical SP/DIF which is handy if you want to hook up to something other than a computer or if your computer has noisy USBs. The OL DAC has and external power supply which is good to lower the noise over USB if it is a problem but then you have another power adapter to deal with. 

So, think about what features you want (compact and simple vs. larger and full featured) and how much you are willing to spend and if you want to buy used. You can't go wrong with either one. 

2 minutes ago, Jdnoss1234 said:

Yes That is the ODAC and sonicly they are both very good so I would base my decision on dollars and features. With an X7s you will want RCA output to keep crosstalk to a minimum. So, the ODAC will run you $170 new or about $120 used with RCAs and will be USB only and powered by USB which means no wall-wart.

The OL dac is $140 and already has RCAs, but it isn't likely you will find one used. The OL DAC also has optical SP/DIF which is handy if you want to hook up to something other than a computer or if your computer has noisy USBs. The OL DAC has and external power supply which is good to lower the noise over USB if it is a problem but then you have another power adapter to deal with. 

So, think about what features you want (compact and simple vs. larger and full featured) and how much you are willing to spend and if you want to buy used. You can't go wrong with either one. 

Ok thank you. I think I will go with the OL DAC. One last question. Do you think it is worth the $30 more than the Modi 2?

Is it worth $30 more. Yes, it has more features. 

At $130 it places itself directly between the modi 2 and the modi 2 uber based on features. So if you dont need external power and optical go modi 2. If you need to be able to hook up to something like a game console or you have noisy USB ports go OL DAC. Lastly if you want Digital Coax go with the modi 2 uber.

The correct answer is that you should not bother with a DAC until or unless you level up your audio setup more.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

The correct answer is that you should not bother with a DAC until or unless you level up your audio setup more.

HD 6XXs is not enough to invest in a DAC?

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

HD 6XXs is not enough to invest in a DAC?

1. Audio is not something you "invest" in. It is a hobby that sucks up money for personal enjoyment.
  2. HD 650 will scale with better gear, but hanging around in the realm of most $150-500 DACs is going to amount to a few percentage points of improvement.
  3. Your music probably sucks in terms of mastering and likely doesn't have enough detail to warrant a DAC upgrade.

They scale with more resolving gear, but don't bother with DACs unless you are comfortable with spending over a thousand. Lower priced DACs are not going to make much difference until you step up to the gumby.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

1. Audio is not something you "invest" in. It is a hobby that sucks up money for personal enjoyment.
  2. HD 650 will scale with better gear, but hanging around in the realm of most $150-500 DACs is going to amount to a few percentage points of improvement.
  3. Your music probably sucks in terms of mastering and likely doesn't have enough detail to warrant a DAC upgrade.

From what I have read once you go over around $150 with DACs there really isn't much improvement because of how electronics work. And I plan on using Spotify's high quality streaming, and Spotify Hifi when it comes out to stream FLAC.

Just now, seduce_me said:

They scale with more resolving gear, but don't bother with DACs unless you are comfortable with spending over a thousand.

Like I just said I read that DACs don't really improve all that much once you pass around $150. Because audio can only be cleaned up so well.

From what I have read once you go over around $150 with DACs there really isn't much improvement because of how electronics work. And I plan on using Spotify's high quality streaming, and Spotify Hifi when it comes out to stream FLAC.

Well, believe what you like. I'm just trying to save you $150.

When I said your music sucks, I meant the mastering, not the file file or streaming format. What kind of stuff do you listen to?

Just now, SSL said:

Well, believe what you like. I'm just trying to save you $150.

When I said your music sucks, I meant the mastering, not the file file or streaming format. What kind of stuff do you listen to?

All kinds of things. And I notice that you have a little collection of DACs and AMPs there for someone who claims that they are not worth it.

All kinds of things. And I notice that you have a little collection of DACs and AMPs there for someone who claims that they are not worth it.

That's how I know what I'm talking about, unlike people on reddit and youtube who have no actual experience with audio gear.

You seem determined do buy a DAC, and of course you must do what you feel is best. I'm just saying that low-end DACs in my experience do not make much difference. Your dollars would be better spent elsewhere.