Nearly perfect video games

Almost every video game we play, even if we end up loving them, has flaws. What are some video games that you found perfect except for a certain... weakness or two? It could be a level, mechanic, character, etc.

I know there are video games subforums, but they are sectioned into different platforms and my question encompasses all of them.

For me, it was Persona 5. There was an incredibly frustrating dungeon in the late-game that turned you into helpless mice. Going into combat could prove fatal for your party.

CPU: Intel i5 3550           | Cooler: Corsair A50          | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77      | Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB   | GPU: GTX 1650                | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)  | PSU: EVGA 650W G2            |

bot w spent 12 hours straight on 1 level then i found out how helpful a shield could be 

also all those shrines made me cry 

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

This is way to wide of a question. Kingdom hearts is the first game that comes to my head because of the story, creativity, and immersive-ness. when it comes to fluid controls I have yet to find a game that can compete with Black Ops 3 with it's 3D like playstyle (running on walls, double jumping, accurate gun mechanics, etc...

11 minutes ago, Vernw3 said:

bot w spent 12 hours straight on 1 level then i found out how helpful a shield could be 

That never happened to me. I'd like to think it's because of the instincts Dark Souls helped me develop.

I'm almost done with all the shrines in the second area of BotW, and I haven't really found any of them challenging.

2 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

Ocarina of Time was perfect, not a single thing wrong with that game.

Well, that's not what I asked for. D:<

CPU: Intel i5 3550           | Cooler: Corsair A50          | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77      | Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB   | GPU: GTX 1650                | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)  | PSU: EVGA 650W G2            |

4 minutes ago, Gale said:

That never happened to me. I'd like to think it's because of the instincts Dark Souls helped me develop.

I'm almost done with all the shrines in the second area of BotW, and I haven't really found any of them challenging.

Well, that's not what I asked for. D:<

it was not that it was hard its that i did like 70 shrines in one night 

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

24 minutes ago, Gale said:

Almost every video game we play, even if we end up loving them, has flaws. What are some video games that you found perfect except for a certain... weakness or two? It could be a level, mechanic, character, etc.

I know there are video games subforums, but they are sectioned into different platforms and my question encompasses all of them.

For me, it was Persona 5. There was an incredibly frustrating dungeon in the late-game that turned you into helpless mice. Going into combat could prove fatal for your party.

Tetris 
Pros:

universally understood, anyone can play.

very easy to play/understand.

very hard to master.

not reliant on pretty graphics or sound to keep you entertained.

no DLC or paywall or similar at all (well some might have, but it's for other added on mechanics, not original gameplay itself)
multiplayer if you want.

Cons:
it can make you really frustrated

it can make you addicted to playing it

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

i think the things that's the best about these "prefect" games is the insane amount of bugs they have that ultimately made them better.

12 minutes ago, HunterSkater429 said:

Minecraft 

19 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

Ocarina of Time was perfect, not a single thing wrong with that game.

these are prefect examples in my opinion as are the original pokemon and mario games.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

Witcher 3

Love the game to absolute bits, but it's not perfect. It's prone to issues with AI pathfinding, collisions, the infamous Roach and very temperamental movement. The latter was caused by a conscious choice to go with animation fluidity (something that was lacking in Witcher 2) rather than absolute control fidelity (found it wasn't an issue in combat surprisingly). CDPR responded with an alternate movement response mode which even though I won't use because the movement is seared into my brain, I'd recommend fresh players start with it enabled. Trust me, it took me a long time to recognize its faults, I'm super biased in favor of this game. There may be more things I'm not aware of. Other than that, words cannot describe how I feel about the game. The story is incredibly nuanced, and the two expansion packs somehow manage to top each previous installment. Blood and Wine took already 10/10 writing and somehow took it to the next level. With Toussaint being a colorful world so far removed from the original war-torn world of Velen, it's legitimately as if you walked into a fairy tale.

Also, Faux Norsemen in the Skellige Isles. Gorgeous place, awesome people.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I could not help myself, HHHGNNN!

Also, Ansel's pretty good.

ZB62hFa.png

Wolfenstein New Order

One of my favorite story-driven FPS games to date (up there with the Metros etc), let down at the very end by a very dodgy, cumbersome, and in contrast to the rest of the game, stale boss fight. Besides that, an extremely satisfying and varied experience. It took the Wolfenstein name and gave it a way more deep, dark and nuanced tone than it ever deserved.

The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion

It was the first ES game I ever spent any reasonable amount of time with (I was too late to appreciate Morrowind as it was already dated and rickety by the time Oblivion was out). I finished it, I enjoyed it, but it suffered from the usual array of Bethesda RPG issues, with the intermittent sparks of brilliance. What redeemed it eventually for me was The Shivering Isles expansion. The story and the world were pretty sublime at the time. Unfortunately somewhat hampered by the awkward combat, unnerving character interactions, the damn Conversation Pie™ and some repetitive scenery and the like.

As a taster, the world of The Shivering Isles was divided into two. Mania and Dementia, ruled by a temperamental and capricious God of Madness. 'Nuff said.

Star Wars Battlefront II (2005)

To this day, extremely varied gameplay for what it is. Functional ground and vehicular combat, mixed with some campaigns and a different take on linear gameplay for Single Player playthroughs. The interface though... Oh the interface was absolutely atrocious. Even in the old days it looked like something a mod would implement over an existing game. Otherwise, the game was a hoot.

B-17 Flying Fortress

Very faithful representation of a WW2 B-17 bomber crew, with all the drama that entails. Excruciatingly detailed, but unless you were a hardcore Aviation nut, sitting through an 8 hour sortie in real time could tax the best of us.

ARMA 3

The most versatile combat game of them all. Massive terrains, an essentially infinite number of gear (vanilla and mods), gorgeous Islands, bombastic scale, and the most awe-inspiring battles you'll ever see if you join a big group. Can accommodate an insane amount of people on the same server. Does a good job of spreading the emphasis on different vehicles, rather than everything just being complimentary to infantry. 

Horribly, massively, excruciatingly buggy. No joke, there are things ARMA players will put up with, that others would just call broken, leave a negative review on steam and post it on twitter as another example of what Steam will let through these days. For all its massive scale, it still can't quite take advantage of modern hardware properly and will invariably do its own thing performance-wise when it deems appropriate to do so. Got a 7900X and 2 1080tis? Great! Prepare to see anything from 150fps to 28. Better now with 64bit, and active development since its initial release in 2013, but you have to be a very patient human being.

Cool little topic BTW, always like engaging in little discussions regarding this particular topic. It's a nice way of killing bias as well and not offering blind recommendations. It's why I, when asked "Is Witcher 3 any good?", I suppress the squealing, take a deep breath and go "I adore it, I'm very biased though, so maybe ask some people or watch a partial walkthrough to get a feel for it". It takes every ounce of mental strength I have.

EDIT: Flavor

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

BeamNG.drive. I love the game, but some stuff is really annoying. I don't like the fact that control bindings and mods aren't cloud saved, and that mods aren't auto updating (at least provide the link to the mod, it makes it WAY faster to update them all!).

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Snoopy on commodore 64, insanely hard for a kids game but at the time it was on the level of dark souls just with happy music. Also lazarian on Atari and kid Icarus on nes

6 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

these are prefect examples in my opinion as are the original pokemon and mario games.

It's not even nostalgia either, these games just had simple mechanics that they executed perfectly, and it made the game enjoyable to play, yet difficult, and required skill.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

1 minute ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

It's not even nostalgia either, these games just had simple mechanics that they executed perfectly, and it made the game enjoyable to play, yet difficult, and required skill.

exactly

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

Diablo 2

Witcher 3

Black & White 2

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Rayman Legends, Uncharted 4, Mario Kart 8, Portal 2, The Last of Us, The Witcher 3...

Funny, only The Last of Us is not a sequel in that group... Basically I collected the ones I gave a 5/5. I use a spreadsheet to rate the games I play. I know, I'm weird, but I just wanted to improve a bit how I analyze games and I didn't found any truly good websites to rate games. All of them were "rate the game" but I wanted something a bit more specific.

eRd23TDXSz6VHgAVNGFVaA.png

Also the rates aren't flat. Basically the gameplay rating is the one that weights more. Been using it since 2015.

The best game in my option is nearly perfect. I've played that game for hours upon hours. The only thing I didn't like about it is the lack of expansive DLC. Sure Shivering Isles added a new world space but that is only one DLC. Knights of the Nine only added a little bit to the game. At least we have modders.

C64

The Last Ninja 1 & 2

Amiga

Mega-Lo-Mania

Moonstone

Turrican 1 & 2 (Factor 5 was recently revived and has reobtained the turrican license)

Theme Park

Lemmings

NES

Megaman 2

Mario 3

SNES

Super Mario World (This is the perfect game)

Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2

Killer Instinct (the 2nd best fighting game ever made)

N64

Super Mario 64

Perfect Dark

Killer Instinct Gold (the best fighting game ever made)

Goldeneye

PC

Doom

Syndicate Wars (not the shitty modern remake)

[The Original]Deus Ex (and the sequel which I don't remember it's name)

Half Life

GTA San Andreas (Specifically V1.01 with 1080p support and all the music)

Portal 1 & 2

The Witcher 3

Wolfenstien TNO

Honourable mentions to Breath Of The Wild but I couldn't include because while it was the game I've enjoyed the most in a very long time the weapon degradation mechanic is just too frustrating to ignore.

These are most of the ones I remember off hand, I'm sure there are some I've missed though.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Transport Tycoon Deluxe   - wasted hundreds of hours playing random scenarios, starting with steam trains in the 1970s and going all the way up to 2050 with monorail trains and ufo like planes. The only downside I could think of today would be that it had no "real" single player campaigns with some missions (like for example start in an area like Canada and create a passenger transport system within 30 years and between 90% of the cities)

Dune 2000 - felt great to me when I was young, one of the few games of that genre along with C&C Red Alert that I was patient enough and willing to me play single player campaigns to the end remember the same sounds over and over used to annoy me after a while

Syberia - wonderful game, almost perfect if only just a few of the puzzles would be a bit more obvious and if the game didn't have locked resolution (because of pre-rendered backgrounds)

I was almost ready to say "The Longest Journey" - i was impressed by it at the time - but to me it failed in the puzzles department, some were really not logical and requiring to carry objects and combine them in weird ways that made little sense.

Half-Life - if you go back in time when the game was launched, it was incredible ... if only it didn't have the Xen maps (which feel like jump in difficulty and ugly to me and too different from majority of the game)

8 hours ago, Vernw3 said:

Funny thing is I rarely used a shield.  Partly because I was afraid of them randomly breaking.  

Seriously would it have been so bad to include health bars for equipment?  ?

It was annoying that you could use something and have no idea how close it was to breaking until it started flashing red.

The shrines were actually a lot more fun than I thought they'd be but I still would consider it a second flaw for Breath of the Wild because I miss normal Zelda game dungeons.  

8 hours ago, Droidbot said:

Forza Horizon 2 and Simpsons Hit And Run

Both fucking masterpieces. 

Simpsons hit and run. What. A. Gem.

Need for Speed Hot Persuit. Out running lambo's while listening to 'Once was a Kid' is one of my fondest  gaming memories

8 hours ago, Tiz said:

Rayman Legends, Uncharted 4, Mario Kart 8, Portal 2, The Last of Us, The Witcher 3...

Funny, only The Last of Us is not a sequel in that group... Basically I collected the ones I gave a 5/5. I use a spreadsheet to rate the games I play. I know, I'm weird, but I just wanted to improve a bit how I analyze games and I didn't found any truly good websites to rate games. All of them were "rate the game" but I wanted something a bit more specific.

eRd23TDXSz6VHgAVNGFVaA.png

Also the rates aren't flat. Basically the gameplay rating is the one that weights more. Been using it since 2015.

I'm curious what flaws you noticed in Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us?

7 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Honourable mentions to Breath Of The Wild but I couldn't include because while it was the game I've enjoyed the most in a very long time the weapon degradation mechanic is just too frustrating to ignore.

These are most of the ones I remember off hand, I'm sure there are some I've missed though.

Thankfully once I got partway into the game I started to manage to collect enough weapons that I usually had plenty of them.  There were only a few times where I ran low.  Usually after trying to fight a guardian.  

So while I agree having that "feature" left out would be better it wasn't as bad as I feared it would be.