Intel Coffee Lake Leaked News

CPU-Z leaked screenshot show that 8th Generation Intel i7 CPU's will have 6C/12T and run at a lower clock frequency.

Screenshot_20170721-213326.thumb.png.275caa9c8b848ef2e08a55eeec4f839e.png

Anyone with a Skylake or Kaby Lake CPU will be able to upgrade to the 300 series chipset motherboards due to Intel sticking with the LGA 1151 socket. You'll also be able to use Coffee Lake processors with 100/200 series boards. There is always a chance that they will remap the pins. If they do then you'll be stuck with getting a 300 series board but that isn't such a bad thing, is it?

What do you guys think about this?

Thats a funny way to spell Shintel xD hahaha 

Its great that Intel wants to respond to AMD, but will they get it right? Who knows. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, That_PC_Kid said:

Anyone with a Skylake or Kaby Lake CPU will be able to upgrade to the 300 series chipset motherboards due to Intel sticking with the LGA 1151 socket.

A better question is: Will anyone with a Z170/Z270 board will be able to upgrade to a Coffee Lake CPU?

Besides, how is that exactly news if this has been known for a while?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Just now, Morgan MLGman said:

A better question is: Will anyone with a Z170/Z270 board will be able to upgrade to a Coffee Lake CPU?

Besides, how is that exactly news if this has been known for a while?

I don't see why they couldn't upgrade considering Z170 & Z270 are LGA 1151 motherboards.

It was more or less confirmed by the screenshot.

1 minute ago, That_PC_Kid said:

I don't see why they couldn't upgrade considering Z170 & Z270 are LGA 1151 motherboards.

Possibly because of no BIOS update for an old Z170 board? Perhaps.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

4 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

They'll still get an update most likely. But I see what you mean. It'll be up to the motherboard manufacturers.

TAKE SOME SALT PLEASE

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

6 minutes ago, That_PC_Kid said:

They'll still get an update most likely. But I see what you mean. It'll be up to the motherboard manufacturers.

no more Intel making the code need for them 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

It will mostly boil down as to whether the vrm's can handle the power for the cores or not.  There is a good chance than anything less than a z170 will not support it. 

21 minutes ago, That_PC_Kid said:

Anyone with a Skylake or Kaby Lake CPU will be able to upgrade to the 300 series chipset motherboards due to Intel sticking with the LGA 1151 socket.

17 minutes ago, That_PC_Kid said:

It was more or less confirmed by the screenshot.

Except that one of the rumors floating around is that Intel may have remapped the pins on the 1151 socket, making it electrically incompatible with existing 1151 socket CPUs.  Similar to how AMD's TR uses effectively the same physical socket as Epyc, but they're not cross-compatible.

I'm hoping Coffee Lake is, at minimum, Kaby Lake with +2 cores. I'd be interested in upgrading to that if it can achieve the same frequencies as Kaby Lake with the (if slight) IPC improvements, otherwise I'm just going to continue sitting on Haswell-E until Ryzen's refresh.

#4,000

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

17 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

7 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

no more Intel making the code need for them 

Precisely.

If Intel decides that 100 series or even 200 series motherboard won't get support for Coffee Lake, then there's nothing the board manufactures can do about it.

We still have to wait and see if Intel will allow Coffee to run on older motherboards.

34 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Except that one of the rumors floating around is that Intel may have remapped the pins on the 1151 socket, making it electrically incompatible with existing 1151 socket CPUs.

I haven't heard that one. If Intel does do that then everyone will have to upgrade their motherboard too.

Just now, That_PC_Kid said:

I haven't heard that one. If Intel does do that then everyone will have to upgrade their motherboard too.

It's one of several rumors I've seen posted here on the forums, in various posts.  I wouldn't put that past Intel, though.

1 hour ago, intender said:

It will mostly boil down as to whether the vrm's can handle the power for the cores or not.  There is a good chance than anything less than a z170 will not support it. 

there's absolutely no way that anything but a Z170 can support it

any other chipset mobo has the the rated TDP to support 90+W CPUs

1 hour ago, That_PC_Kid said:

that's BS, if they would've done that it means that Kaby nor Skylake can be used - that's just .. dumb

15 minutes ago, zMeul said:

that's BS, if they would've done that it means that Kaby not Skylake can be used - that's just .. dumb

Wouldn't be the first time Intel did something that made little sense, simply to force people to upgrade platforms. Z87 supported Haswell and Devil's Canyon (Haswell Refresh) but didn't "support" Broadwell. 

While I don't expect them to do that again, it's certainly not out of the question. I hope that they don't, as I would love to have an upgrade path in the future without being forced to update my platform. 

1 hour ago, Suika said:

I'm hoping Coffee Lake is, at minimum, Kaby Lake with +2 cores. I'd be interested in upgrading to that if it can achieve the same frequencies as Kaby Lake with the (if slight) IPC improvements, otherwise I'm just going to continue sitting on Haswell-E until Ryzen's refresh.

#4,000

I wouldn't expect an IPC boost of any kind, but from what I've seen clock speeds do look rather appealing. The 8700k's stock turbo boost is extremely high, given it's a 6c processor, and (in theory) it should be compatible with our current 1151 delid tools. I would expect 5-5.1ghz to be possible with an AIO. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

2 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Except that one of the rumors floating around is that Intel may have remapped the pins on the 1151 socket, making it electrically incompatible with existing 1151 socket CPUs

or like 2011 to 2011v3

if they changed the mapping of the pins, I trust that they'd modify the name just enough to differentiate the two as they have in the past.

Man, oh, man. Haven't seen an industry-wide kerfuffle like this in ages. This is what competition looks like. This is also why I more or less blame AMD for the dry-stint and the stagnant core counts. They sat on their posteriors for way too long (I know that's a pretty broad stroke though). Now here's hoping this drive lasts, and AMD stays afloat to provide good products to instigate competition. Intel can come up with genuinely good offerings, but this sudden rush of core count, mainstream product leaks and the like does denote some sandbagging as this stuff is planned way in advance.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

Just now, LooneyJuice said:

This is also why I more or less blame AMD for the dry-stint and the stagnant core counts. They sat on their posteriors for way too long (I know that's a pretty broad stroke though).

To be fair, you can't just whip up a new CPU architecture without devoting resources, and AMD has had very limited resources for years.  Although a huge part of the problem was the previous management.  It's actually quite astonishing what AMD has pulled off with Ryzen, given their financial state.

If anything, Intel deserves much of the blame for resting on their laurels.  They had the resources to invest into progressing CPU tech and they chose instead to merely do minor, incremental improvements.

26 minutes ago, LooneyJuice said:

This is also why I more or less blame AMD for the dry-stint and the stagnant core counts. They sat on their posteriors for way too long (I know that's a pretty broad stroke though).

You're forgetting the fact that AMD did indeed push for a higher core count years ago, but they fucked up.

Plus AMD is a poor company compared to Intel. It's not like they have Intel's money to allocate to R&D.

25 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

To be fair, you can't just whip up a new CPU architecture without devoting resources, and AMD has had very limited resources for years.  Although a huge part of the problem was the previous management.  It's actually quite astonishing what AMD has pulled off with Ryzen, given their financial state.

If anything, Intel deserves much of the blame for resting on their laurels.  They had the resources to invest into progressing CPU tech and they chose instead to merely do minor, incremental improvements.

That's why I mentioned broad strokes. I think what saved them was the restructuring. Amazing what you can do when there are just the right amount of cooks in the kitchen.

Additionally, regarding Intel, I get what a lot of people say when it comes to "Try to develop the best product you can for the best price you can". The problem is, why? Why should they? I'm not condoning it, but these are businesses, not Nonprofits. Unless we're talking about a market with strong consumer protection, the only thing that I think would keep any big company like that in check is competition. Everyone gets complacent when dominating the market though, which is fortunate, as complacency makes mistakes, and mistakes piss people off.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

You know sometimes I wonder, should we really applaud AMD for Ryzen?

Or should we blame Intel for sitting on their asses for basically an entire decade?

Because when you stop to think about it, AMD in reality caught up to technology that Intel had for a decade. And the only reason AMD threatens Intel's place now is because Intel themselves have been stagnating, just slowly giving us small improvements.

Of course limitations exist and sometimes you can't just make something that's x amount faster than the previous thing you did, but... come on. 

3 hours ago, That_PC_Kid said:

I think its cofefe

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_