What is with the obsession with Steve Jobs?

TheGleaner

There is movies, books, and now an opera. AN OPERA. I mean I don't hear about movies and books, or operas, on Bill Gates, or IBM or etc. Maybe its me and my I don't really see the reason behind the hype with apple and the i(device) line, but really, am I missing something here?

His legacy and achievements have definitely been exaggerated, but there's no denying that he is someone to be remembered. You may not like Apple (I hate them), but you cannot deny the influence they have had on the industry and the world. 

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

Just now, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

His legacy and achievements have definitely been exaggerated, but there's no denying that he is someone to be remembered. You may not like Apple (I hate them), but you cannot deny the influence they have had on the industry and the world. 

But then shouldn't there be the same hype with Gates and Microsoft?

Just now, TheGleaner said:

Gates isn't dead.

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

Just now, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

Gates isn't dead.

True, but even when Jobs was alive there was still the hype(ie: if Jobs walked down the street people would freak out, where Gates walked down the street in Fargo and the only people who seemed worried about him was the local news)

True, but even when Jobs was alive there was still the hype(ie: if Jobs walked down the street people would freak out, where Gates walked down the street in Fargo and the only people who seemed worried about him was the local news)

I guess it's because of how dumb most of the public is. Apple = greatness, something for rich people; MicroSoft = commoner, lame, for lame ppl

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, TheGleaner said:

3 minutes ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

Gates isn't dead.

Apple is the biggest company in the world and liberal. So, you can expect liberal arts to shine for Apple.

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

18 minutes ago, TheGleaner said:

I mean I don't hear about movies and books, or operas, on Bill Gates, or IBM or etc.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0168122/

Bill Gates and Jobs are both characters in the movie, but still.

Though I'm more a fan of documentaries.  I'd suggest the PBS three part documentary The Triumph Of The Nerds:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115398/

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0168122/

Bill Gates and Jobs are both characters in the movie, but still.

Though I'm more a fan of documentaries.  I'd suggest the PBS three part documentary The Triumph Of The Nerds:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115398/

I mean it seems to be yearly: an new thing on Jobs, I thought there would be more Gates since he became the richest person in the world, and windows is used world wide, etc. Thanks for the recommendation.

Because Steve Jobs was one of the first to bring about the Personal Computer for home.  In all reality it was Steve Wazniak (He still plays a role in technology balance & improvement) and Bill Gates, who was probably one of the finest computer engineers of his time. Steve Jobs was not some super smart person like many think he was, he was smart in his business ideas, but you need to understand, he worked around people at HP and Atari, the people who were the actual engineers who COULD HAVE changed the world.  But didn't.  His only real asset was Steve Wazniak, he lead onto everything for Apple, and without Wazniak Apple would be nothing, you could say the same thing about Jobs but not to the same degree, any fine young business man could have spotted Wazniak's talents and with enough creativity and inspiration could have come up with the idea to make it a business.  

In my opinion the thing that set Steve Jobs apart from other businessmen was his attitude.  He was very cocky/arrogant.  That's a bad thing but can also be used as an advantage.  When I was in high school I had a mentor who worked a high up job and thought the same way, very arrogant.   But he achieved everything he put his mind to, his arrogance proved an asset because it made him have a more positive mindset and with a brilliant work ethic, you can use that arrogance to your advantage.  

I'm going to be honest, I don't give a fuck about Steve Jobs.  We need to learn to respect him not based off 'his' innovations but his business skills, and his ideas and philosophy. He did not invent the iPhone, or any new gadget, he merely came up with an idea due to inspiration, and cunningly (and nefariously) had people invent the gadget based on his vision and he marketed it and sold it.  

I mean it seems to be yearly: an new thing on Jobs, I thought there would be more Gates since he became the richest person in the world, and windows is used world wide, etc. Thanks for the recommendation.

Fine, let's go into more detail.  Most importantly, Jobs and Gates aren't the same person.  They aren't just 'Mac' and "PC'.   Jobs really was a visionary and his individual actions had a huge influence on the tech world as we know it.  Jobs went from Atari to starting one of the premiere 'Personal Computer' companies of the 1980s. (Let's not confuse 'Personal Computer' with 'IBM Compatible PC' as I use that term) the Apple II family was everywhere.  The machines lasted in main line service in some schools and institutions well into the 1990s.  Apple with Jobs was already trying something new.  Pippin?  Newton? The Lisa?  Maybe not he most successful products but they were the result of someone trying to get closer to the future.  Even when Jobs was out of Apple, he was trying to start a new revolution with the NeXT computer.  With all this, Jobs built a cult of personality around him.

Bill Gates unquestionably brought Microsoft into being massive company.  He was business savy and over time Microsoft grew into a company that sells the most popular desktop operating system on the planet.  But gets never had that kind of 'Personality'.  Really, he's never seemed the type who was after fame or celebrity for his actions.  He wanted to run the company and develop code.

Gates and Jobs are two very different people and Gates is, well, less interesting, even if he is unquestionably successful.

overhyped i guess , but it did bring in milestone changes to how we use tech , But regardless i don't see mainstream praise & worship of Nokia founders for having the early patents that paved way for the tech apple products thrived upon.

Details separate people.

1 hour ago, Mike_The_B0ss said:

Because Steve Jobs was one of the first to bring about the Personal Computer for home.  In all reality it was Steve Wazniak (He still plays a role in technology balance & improvement) and Bill Gates, who was probably one of the finest computer engineers of his time. Steve Jobs was not some super smart person like many think he was, he was smart in his business ideas, but you need to understand, he worked around people at HP and Atari, the people who were the actual engineers who COULD HAVE changed the world.  But didn't.  His only real asset was Steve Wazniak, he lead onto everything for Apple, and without Wazniak Apple would be nothing, you could say the same thing about Jobs but not to the same degree, any fine young business man could have spotted Wazniak's talents and with enough creativity and inspiration could have come up with the idea to make it a business.  

In my opinion the thing that set Steve Jobs apart from other businessmen was his attitude.  He was very cocky/arrogant.  That's a bad thing but can also be used as an advantage.  When I was in high school I had a mentor who worked a high up job and thought the same way, very arrogant.   But he achieved everything he put his mind to, his arrogance proved an asset because it made him have a more positive mindset and with a brilliant work ethic, you can use that arrogance to your advantage.  

I'm going to be honest, I don't give a fuck about Steve Jobs.  We need to learn to respect him not based off 'his' innovations but his business skills, and his ideas and philosophy. He did not invent the iPhone, or any new gadget, he merely came up with an idea due to inspiration, and cunningly (and nefariously) had people invent the gadget based on his vision and he marketed it and sold it.  

Afaik Jobs himself in personal life was a massive douchebag, to put it mildly.

30 minutes ago, coolkingler1 said:

Yup, Steve Jobs was a complete and utter douche bag, especially towards his family and kid(s).

Most of all he was a complete and utter douche bag towards the founding members of Apple.

Jobs has a lot more mainstream 'flair' than most other tech industry leaders, plus the company with which he was is one of the biggest in the world.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

24 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Jobs has a lot more mainstream 'flair' than most other tech industry leaders, plus the company with which he was is one of the biggest in the world.

Jobs HAD a lot ..............

9 hours ago, coolkingler1 said:

A contributing factor was probably that his parents let him run all over them, his real parents were both very successful and intelligent people who went to Stanford or Harvard, some prestigious university. He and Wazniak used to pull pranks on people.  That's the kind of people they were... the college bullies. 

I don't have anything against having fun, but his teacher at school literally had to pay him to do his homework.  I know because I read a FULL Steve Jobs biography in 11th grade.  So... yeah. 

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

8 hours ago, Mike_The_B0ss said:

Wazniak

Another person who got fucked by Steve.

Waiting for a statement from @DrMacintosh

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Apple exploited advertizing and cutting edge tech when they were brand new to set themselves apart from the competition. 

You can hate Apple all you want but the iPod did factually change the world, you can hate Apple all you want but the iPhone did factually shift the direction of phones to become what we know them as today, you can hate Apple all you want but the 1st Macintosh was pretty freaking cool and PCs became better as a result. 

Steve was at the head of all of that. He was the presenter of Apple and it was his style that can make a good story. 

Many simply dont like the idea that someone from a company they do not like could have had a cultural influence that surpases that of the companies they like.  

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

For me this is the same argument as Nintendo with the Wii. But I guess is not a crime to walk around the earth despising the work of these people, that actually changed the earth you're living on. I may not share it, but I respect it at least.

18 hours ago, yathis said:

Yup, Steve Jobs was a complete and utter douche bag, especially towards his family and kid(s).

Most of all he was a complete and utter douche bag towards the founding members of Apple.

But it was the massive amount of douchebaggery that made apple release better products. Sure it's not nice to dump an iPod prototype in a fish tank to watch for bubbles but as a result Apple did; 

"Make it thinner" -Steve Jobs c.2001  

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

16 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

But it was the massive amount of douchebaggery that made apple release better products. Sure it's not nice to dump an iPod prototype in a fish tank to watch for bubbles but as a result Apple did; 

"Make it thinner" -Steve Jobs c.2001  

There's also the question of what are you talking about. I mean yes, Steve was like he was, but many people live their lives being douche bags in common things, but because they are main stream and accepted as such, is not taked into account. People like Steve Jobs or Elon Musk are really intense and yes, they can be douchbags, but they make things happen, and we should be fucking thankful that some people are dedicating their lives to improve ours.

But I guess history never changes.

5 minutes ago, Tiz said:

they make things happen,

This, and it's an important part to any company. 

Someone that tip toes around is why companies go down hill, you need someone that says 'Fuck you, you prick' (not a reference to Jobs or Elon Musk) and gets shit done IMO