Drive Mirroring Software for Mac

Ok, let's try this again

To mods: THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT HACKINTOSH HELP

Looking for some drive mirroring software to move from a 128GB SSD to a 500GB SSD. I'm currently running a hackintosh, so obviously i can run windows software too, however THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR HELP ABOUT THAT.

The problem i have, it none of the drive mirroring software i have tried can mirror HFS drives properly (HFS=Mac's file system), does anyone have any suggestions for a drive mirroring software that will mirror all 3 partitions correctly (EFI (Fat 32), Recovery (HFS) & Main SSD Partition (HFS) ) via a bootable CD, so i can restore it to a newly installed drive again via a bootable CD. There used to be a nice free one that i can't remember the name of and can't seem to find anymore!

Ideal requirements would be:
Free

Fastish

Ideally block by block copy

Bootable CD (this one is a must)

If mods still think this is about hackintosh help, it's not - think of it this way. i need a drive cloning boot cd for mac, as none of the windows ones mirror HFS properly.

(also moved to better section this time)

Thanks!

you can't use dd for this?

Captain Obvious says if you dont want to get a thread locked then dont mention hackintosh.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

you can't use dd for this?

Captain Obvious says if you dont want to get a thread locked then dont mention hackintosh.

No, i get that. I have no experience using dd really except copying and pasting some commands, and i just want the easiest method.

For the locked thread, i get that, just thought it was important to mention as i know the behaviour of the drives can be slightly different, but yeah really just looking for a decent osx one i guess.

If you have any experience with DD feel free to help :P The idea was to make an image of the drive, and restore the image. Most of the windows ones don't restore the partitions correctly, and can't find an OSX one with a bootable CD

12 minutes ago, MLGMelon said:

Ok, let's try this again

Looking for some drive mirroring software to move from a 128GB SSD to a 500GB SSD. I'm currently running a hackintosh, so obviously i can run windows software too, however THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR HELP ABOUT THAT.

The problem i have, it none of the drive mirroring software i have tried can mirror HFS drives properly (HFS=Mac's file system), does anyone have any suggestions for a drive mirroring software that will mirror all 3 partitions correctly (EFI (Fat 32), Recovery (HFS) & Main SSD Partition (HFS) ) via a bootable CD, so i can restore it to a newly installed drive again via a bootable CD. There used to be a nice free one that i can't remember the name of and can't seem to find anymore!

Free

Fastish

If mods still think this is about hackintosh help, it's not - think of it this way. i need a drive cloning boot cd for mac, as none of the windows ones mirror HFS properly.

Thanks!

Can you clarify exactly what you want?

Do you want to clone the drive (and partitions) once, or do you want real time drive mirroring (Akin to "RAID1")? Different things, requiring different solutions.

I'm assuming that you want to clone the drive, based on some of your post.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, MLGMelon said:

I'll give that a go, didnt't think about booting linux to be honest.. it's been a long day

Cheers!

you have to boot a live cd to make a copy of the OS drive, or plug it into another computer.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Can you clarify exactly what you want?

Do you want to clone the drive (and partitions) once, or do you want real time drive mirroring (Akin to "RAID1")? Different things, requiring different solutions.

I'm assuming that you want to clone the drive, based on some of your post.

Yeah basically a bootable CD to clone the drive to an image that i can restore to a bigger SSD with the same bootable CD. Most of the windows ones i've tried can't seem to restore HFS partitions properly. Rather not use Linux DD to do it, but i'll give it a go anyway

1 minute ago, MLGMelon said:

Yeah basically a bootable CD to clone the drive to an image that i can restore to a bigger SSD with the same bootable CD. Most of the windows ones i've tried can't seem to restore HFS partitions properly. Rather not use Linux DD to do it, but i'll give it a go anyway

Have you tried using CloneZilla? That's my go-to drive cloning software.

I'd do a "Device-to-image" clone, creating an image file on your secondary SSD. That way you can still use that SSD for other things.

When doing a search online, I've seen references to HFS+ for compatible file systems, but no mention of HFS. I imagine it'll still work, as I did not spend more than 30 seconds searching.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Have you tried using CloneZilla? That's my go-to drive cloning software.

I'd do a "Device-to-image" clone, creating an image file on your secondary SSD. That way you can still use that SSD for other things.

When doing a search online, I've seen references to HFS+ for compatible file systems, but no mention of HFS. I imagine it'll still work, as I did not spend more than 30 seconds searching.

I think they are pretty much the same, but + is a little harder to work with (all my HFS partitions are HFS+, didnt think about that) - i'll look into it, thanks!+

I've always used super duper to clone hard drive.  Worth a shot. Go to youtube and search for some tutorials.

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

On 7/21/2017 at 3:45 PM, MLGMelon said:

Ok, let's try this again

Free

Fastish

Thanks!

If you still need help, have you tried SuperDuper?  It's free and has work 100% of the time for me.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.