Corsair H100i v2 which fans

Hi guys,

well i had to ask this, because im not sure how to handle it.

My Corsair H100i v2 cools at the moment my i7 4770k. I dont know exactly how hot my cpu should get, and at which temperatures i should cool more.

The custom fans (2x) which came with the h100i v2 were loud but went up to 2750 rpm and cooled my cpu at full capacity prime 95 for 3 hours at about 80-85 degrees.

Now i installed Noctua NF F12 fans, which just go up to 1500 rpm max. As i thought, it cools less :D. In idle at about 5-10% load my h100iv2 has a temperatures of 37,3 degress while the fans spin at 900 rpm. my cores are between 38-45 degrees at this load, core 1 and 2 most heat (why?).

Should i get back to my old fans or stay with the new noctua? While prime 95 full capacity full heat, my cores went up to 90-95 degrees at 1500 rpm each.

Or are there any other good fans, which are able to cool my h100i  v2 to reasonable temeperatures and are still "silent"?

16 minutes ago, Zerebratox said:

Hi guys,

well i had to ask this, because im not sure how to handle it.

My Corsair H100i v2 cools at the moment my i7 4770k. I dont know exactly how hot my cpu should get, and at which temperatures i should cool more.

The custom fans (2x) which came with the h100i v2 were loud but went up to 2750 rpm and cooled my cpu at full capacity prime 95 for 3 hours at about 80-85 degrees.

Now i installed Noctua NF F12 fans, which just go up to 1500 rpm max. As i thought, it cools less :D. In idle at about 5-10% load my h100iv2 has a temperatures of 37,3 degress while the fans spin at 900 rpm. my cores are between 38-45 degrees at this load, core 1 and 2 most heat (why?).

Should i get back to my old fans or stay with the new noctua? While prime 95 full capacity full heat, my cores went up to 90-95 degrees at 1500 rpm each.

Or are there any other good fans, which are able to cool my h100i  v2 to reasonable temeperatures and are still "silent"?

Perhaps put 2 of the slower ones in push - and the two faster ones - in pull - and set the Quiet setting. This way even if the fans overall are slower - the air moved will be significant enough to remove the heat.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

Just now, FIXXX said:

Perhaps put 2 of the slower ones in push - and the two faster ones - in pull - and set the Quiet setting. This way even if the fans overall are slower - the air moved will be significant enough to remove the heat.

i can just mount 2 fans on the h100i v2, how should this be possible?

1 minute ago, Zerebratox said:

i can just mount 2 fans on the h100i v2, how should this be possible?

Anyone have a v2? Mine is the regular 100i and it has holes on both sides.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Are the fans plugged into the block or motherboard? sounds like motherboard to me, which is not the best configuration.

Just now, FIXXX said:

Anyone have a v2? Mine is the regular 100i and it has holes on both sides.

Wait, it seems like i did some mistakes xD, where do i mount it? Mine is mounted on the top, i see the problem.

So i should mount mine at the front? with 2 quiet in and 2 fast out?

Just now, Zerebratox said:

Wait, it seems like i did some mistakes xD, where do i mount it? Mine is mounted on the top, i see the problem.

So i should mount mine at the front? with 2 quiet in and 2 fast out?

Depends on the setup inside the case.

If there isn't enough force to take out the air inside the case - then you'll start getting pockets of hotter air inside, heating up some components, but it's really not THAT much of a problem.

I put mine in the front, as you're thinking of doing. Just make sure you have enough room for the GPU and the drives.

Just now, FIXXX said:

Depends on the setup inside the case.

If there isn't enough force to take out the air inside the case - then you'll start getting pockets of hotter air inside, heating up some components, but it's really not THAT much of a problem.

I put mine in the front, as you're thinking of doing. Just make sure you have enough room for the GPU and the drives.

I have a Phanteks Enthoo pro case, it should be big enough to fit it in, but i would have to remove the hdd cases, that would probably the lowest problem.

I dont have much knowledge of cooling, in the front i have a 900 rpm 200mm fan by thermaltake and in the back one 120mm 1200rpm bequiet silent wings 2 fan.

And like i described on top the watercooling with the fans inside the case pushing air into it.

I have a Phanteks Enthoo pro case, it should be big enough to fit it in, but i would have to remove the hdd cases, that would probably the lowest problem.

I dont have much knowledge of cooling, in the front i have a 900 rpm 200mm fan by thermaltake and in the back one 120mm 1200rpm bequiet silent wings 2 fan.

And like i described on top the watercooling with the fans inside the case pushing air into it.

Just add 2 other coolers in front and see how it goes, make sure to check before closing the case. It's such a bother to re-open and reconnect stuff.

Just now, FIXXX said:

Just add 2 other coolers in front and see how it goes, make sure to check before closing the case. It's such a bother to re-open and reconnect stuff.

? u mean with the current cofiguration 2 fans in the front?

Or should i mount the block in the front?

2 minutes ago, Zerebratox said:

-snip-

where have you connected your fans to? the fan headers coming off the pump or to the motherboard? to me it sounds like it is connected to the motherboard, which is not the best

Just now, For Science! said:

where have you connected your fans to? the fan headers coming off the pump or to the motherboard? to me it sounds like it is connected to the motherboard, which is not the best

the fans are connected to the pump

step 1, DON'T USE Prime 95, NOTHING will ever approach that level of torture testing in the real world, not even video converting.

step 2 if you want to drop temperatures dial back your overclock 1 or 200 megahertz and see how much you can drop the voltage, a small clockspeed drop can sometimes result in a HUGE voltage drop (for example on my 6700k going from 4.6 down to 4.5 results in dropping voltage from 1.345 to 1.29 which results in a significant temperature drop of 10-15c) lower starting temps means lower fan speeds can be used, I have the included SP120 fans that come with my H100i V2 in a pull configuration on the radiator with the fans connected to the block and controlled through the Corsair Link software, I have the pump set to performance and the fans set to Quiet and it's completely inaudible and temps peak in the low 70's C

so how big an overclock are you running and what are your voltages like? You might just be asking to much from your chip.

1 minute ago, Daniel644 said:

step 1, DON'T USE Prime 95, NOTHING will ever approach that level of torture testing in the real world, not even video converting.

step 2 if you want to drop temperatures dial back your overclock 1 or 200 megahertz and see how much you can drop the voltage, a small clockspeed drop can sometimes result in a HUGE voltage drop (for example on my 6700k going from 4.6 down to 4.5 results in dropping voltage from 1.345 to 1.29 which results in a significant temperature drop of 10-15c) lower starting temps means lower fan speeds can be used, I have the included SP120 fans that come with my H100i V2 in a pull configuration on the radiator with the fans connected to the block and controlled through the Corsair Link software, I have the pump set to performance and the fans set to Quiet and it's completely inaudible and temps peak in the low 70's C

so how big an overclock are you running and what are your voltages like? You might just be asking to much from your chip.

I didnt oc yet, my i7 4770k runs at normal 3,7 ghz

To address a few of your questions:

- To have more than 2 fans connected to the pump you will need to have a PWM splitter, although I am not sure how much power the pump fan header can supply and wouldn't necessarily go down this route yet.

- To do push/pull with 2 different types of fans, I would personally match the fans together (push/pull with the same fans)

- Why are some cores hotter than others? TIM application or solder variance, or paste application, or even load variance, don't worry

- Fans that are faster will be louder, so I think you just have to go with it. The industral PPC can spin to 2000 rpm or 3000 rpm, but again, will be louder.

- Make sure your fan header that the pump is connected to is set to 100% DC mode so that the pump performs properly

Also please state the version of Prime95 if you insist to report temperatures from it. I would highly recommend you to try RealBench and let us know the CPU temperatures for the stress test of Realbench.

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

To address a few of your questions:

- To have more than 2 fans connected to the pump you will need to have a PWM splitter, although I am not sure how much power the pump fan header can supply and wouldn't necessarily go down this route yet.

- To do push/pull with 2 different types of fans, I would personally match the fans together (push/pull with the same fans)

- Why are some cores hotter than others? TIM application or solder variance, or paste application, or even load variance, don't worry

- Fans that are faster will be louder, so I think you just have to go with it. The industral PPC can spin to 2000 rpm or 3000 rpm, but again, will be louder.

- Make sure your fan header that the pump is connected to is set to 100% DC mode so that the pump performs properly

So i should maybe stay with the fans i got myself? Or buy some more powerful fans (which could be maybe more silent than the fans which are normally mounted?)

I think my system isnt cooled as good as i hope. I told you how my config works, are there any better ways how to deal with heat staying in my case? (cable management is nearly perfect, so nothing in the way of airflow)

And what did you mean with "make sure your fan header that the pump is connected to is set to 100% dec mode so that the pump performs properly"?

Also please state the version of Prime95 if you insist to report temperatures from it. I would highly recommend you to try RealBench and let us know the CPU temperatures for the stress test of Realbench.

asus realbench? how long should i run the stress test?

Just now, Zerebratox said:

asus realbench? how long should i run the stress test?

You can run it for 15 minutes, and then just tell us what is the maximum temperature. The core temperatures will at least be informative for me.

You can run it for 15 minutes, and then just tell us what is the maximum temperature. The core temperatures will at least be informative for me.

In this case i will run it with the ncotua 1500 rpm fans now for 15 min and tell you how hot i went

2 minutes ago, For Science! said:

just the normal stress test with up to ? gb ram?

8 minutes ago, For Science! said:

With the noctua fans running both at 1500 rpm at the top with pull from the inside to the block and performance pump 2850 rpm. The 200 mm front fan runs with 700 rpm and the bequiet silent wings 2 are running with 750 rpm in the back(140mm)

The Heat on Core 1-4 is at its max with 74 degrees. The H100i v2 is at its max temperature at 41  (getting hotter from time to time) degrees and the gpu is at about 60-64 degrees.(1900 rpm)

Should i try the same with the previous fans? And i am bad at putting on paste on the cpu so its always something uneven and i am not sure how much i can put on it(do i have to see through the paste and be able to read what it says on the cpu, or can it be like a little bit more?

#Picture at 14 min

heat.PNG

2 hours ago, Zerebratox said:

-snip-

Looks fairly normal to me, wrt to the thermal paste, if you are screwing down the block in a X pattern then that's pretty much the only thing you can do to make sure the block goes on straight. Alternatively put the CPU block on before you mount the radiators, since the tubing can put torsion on the pump block and that can contribute to an uneven spread.

Since the water temperature is very reasonable at 41.5 degrees even at fairly heavy load, I would say that the fans are performing fairly well. You have some room for overclocking too (not much, but some)

4 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Looks fairly normal to me, wrt to the thermal paste, if you are screwing down the block in a X pattern then that's pretty much the only thing you can do to make sure the block goes on straight. Alternatively put the CPU block on before you mount the radiators, since the tubing can put torsion on the pump block and that can contribute to an uneven spread.

Since the water temperature is very reasonable at 41.5 degrees even at fairly heavy load, I would say that the fans are performing fairly well. You have some room for overclocking too (not much, but some)

So i dont have to worry about anything? What if i oc my CPU on 4ghz, would this still be enough?

And what about airflow, should i mount 2 120mm or 1 200mm on front?

So i dont have to worry about anything? What if i oc my CPU on 4ghz, would this still be enough?

And what about airflow, should i mount 2 120mm or 1 200mm on front?

So if you were doing push-pull with the 4 fans you have, this is what I would do, since it doesn't make much sense to overpower one fan with another

[ NF-F12 ] [ Corsair Fan]

[--------Radiator-----------]

[ NF-F12 ] [ Corsair Fan]

What kind of 980 do you have? it kind of affects whether you want to top mount or front mount the radiator. In a gaming situation your GPU is likely to be the noisier out of the 2 so its actually better to not worry about your CPU fans too much.