What's so bad about alienware laptops?

I hear a lot of people saying that Alienware laptops are bad, but they don't give a good reason for why they're bad.

But there wre some reasons I heard for why they are bad:

-Overpriced (I don't think it's overpriced anymore. Especially with the new models)

-Thermal issues (This issue was know with the sky lake models, but I heard they fixed it with the kaby lake models)

-Bad customer service (other brands have this same problem. also, this isn't a big problem to me.)

Can someone explain why people don't like Alienware laptops?

Because, I might be getting one with a 120Hz screen. I have tried looking for other laptops, either they're actually overpriced or have a pretty bad design.

Price is the main thing. Their newer stuff is better 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

People don't like buying prebuilts

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

1 minute ago, Billy_Mays said:

People don't like buying prebuilts

yepp, we all build our own laptops. Solder the CPU and everthing...

Read the post before commenting.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

Just now, Moress said:

I think that you may have missed the point. Have a look at the Clevo chassis for example...

In any event, current Alienware build quality is garbage and they have made it harder to upgrade, customise and maintain.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

4 minutes ago, Nuluvius said:

I think that you may have missed the point. Have a look at the Clevo chassis for example...

I've never once seen someone post about building their laptop. The person I quoted wasn't talking about using a Clevo

Do agree with the second line though

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

8 minutes ago, Nuluvius said:

I think that you may have missed the point. Have a look at the Clevo chassis for example.

Yeah, but what about the cpu, the gpu, psu, etc.

I don't think it's possible to buy these parts for laptops

15 minutes ago, Moress said:

I was joking I don't know all of the emote patterns

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

10 minutes ago, MSM_15 said:

When most pepole talk about this I Imagine there referring to Ram and storage

My life

12 minutes ago, MSM_15 said:

It is, for the most part. 

Broadwell and later are soldered to the PCB, so you'll need to get a premade mobo or a desktop mobo, like some Clevo chassis. 

GPU is mounted by the MXM socket, and GPUs are quite common for these. Eurocom for example offers upgrade kits for some of their older laptops so they can get them up to speed with the latest GPU upgrades. Machines that came with Fermi GPUs can be upgraded to Kepler 680M, 7970M, etc. 

PSU is just general - 330W bricks are common as well. 

22 minutes ago, Nuluvius said:

In any event, current Alienware build quality is garbage and they have made it harder to upgrade, customise and maintain.

IMHO this is incorrect as hell. 

Alienware is as good as ever. Their laptops feel solid, well built. Ask any reviewer or owner. 

The 'Alienware is shit' is just almost a meme at this point. 

Their machines run cool, are easy to maintain, and you can upgrade your machine in the future quite easily. 

The mid-2013 Alienware 17 can be upgraded with a fucking 1070, and yet '''lol no upgrades'''

idk

13 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

IMHO this is incorrect as hell. 

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

So, Should I still buy an Alienware laptop?

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

You shouldn't avoid them. But that doesn't mean you should buy them.

Look at other options too and see what works best for you.

Well, I did!

MSI: too much bloatware and the c00l r3d dr4g0n design doesn't match my taste.

Razer: way too overpriced compared to other laptops, runs pretty hot and doesn't provide 120Hz screens

Aorus: Can't even buy it, seriously it's not available!

Asus: sometimes have thermal issues, battery life is very disappointing and the design doesn't match my taste.

Acer: quality control issues, outdated drivers and doesn't provide 120Hz screens.

5 minutes ago, MSM_15 said:

Well, I did!

MSI: too much bloatware and the c00l r3d dr4g0n design doesn't match my taste.

Razer: way too overpriced compared to other laptops, runs pretty hot and doesn't provide 120Hz screens

Aorus: Can't even buy it, seriously it's not available!

Asus: sometimes have thermal issues, battery life is very disappointing and the design doesn't match my taste.

Acer: quality control issues, outdated drivers and doesn't provide 120Hz screens.

So while I don't own an Alienware, I have handled it a bit at the local Fry's. I didn't see any immediate issues with build quality. Honestly I think Dell stepped up their game after they went private again. Otherwise I've had an XPS 13 and currently use an Inspiron 15 7559. I've had zero issues with either (the "had" on the XPS 13 was because I wasn't meeting my use case requirements so I sold it).

Dell's do come with their usual Dell branded bloatware and the obligatory anti-virus trial, but you're spending maybe 20 minutes removing them.

As for battery life since you mentioned it, they're also getting competitive. At least with the XPS and some of the higher end Inspirons. I think Alienware floats around the "expected" category.

3 hours ago, Nuluvius said:

Firstly, Alienware is far from unique when it comes to using BGA chips, something that is more due to the current fetish for thin and light machines than anything else, so I hardly think that it's fair to single them out when 99% of the gaming laptops on the market, for better or for worse, also use soldered parts.

Plus the warranty is forgiving enough that you *can* open your laptop up and modify it without voiding your coverage, something that few companies allow, and the machines are designed to be as easy to work on and access the internals.

Secondly, have you used any Alienware laptops recently? Because even among people who dislike them they're generally put among the best-built laptops of this generation. Aside from the thermal issues with the early 6XXX laptops, something that has been fixed, there haven't been any major issues and even if you did get a system that ran hot a repaste would fix that because the underlying cooling system was good.

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM

Right now, I can get an Alienware laptop that has i7-7700k, gtx 1070 and 120Hz screen for $1690!!

13 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Dell's do come with their usual Dell branded bloatware and the obligatory anti-virus trial, but you're spending maybe 20 minutes removing them.

Alienwares actually don't include that by default, at least not if you order off the website, and are generally bloat free aside from things like the 'Dell Updater' (and while I personally don't like this some people find it useful).

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM

7 minutes ago, Amaranth said:

Plus the warranty is forgiving enough that you *can* open your laptop up and modify it without voiding your coverage, something that few companies allow, and the machines are designed to be as easy to work on and access the internals.

I also want to add to this. Dell is very friendly at DIY work, as long as you don't actually break the laptop. They have publicly available tech docs on how to break into their computers to make repairs or upgrades. Like the laptop I have. It's literally one screw that holds the bottom plate in (well, and some plastic tabs). And it's not a "access only RAM" or "access only the drives". It's "access the whole damn computer."

And there was one time I had to call in for warranty support to fix a broken screen. They sent someone over to do the repair work.

There are only 2 problems with Alienware laptops.

1) the EXTREMELY incompetent and downright sometimes DANGEROUS Dell techs that BREAK stuff in your laptop when they come to your house to service them with the premium warranty.  This is starting to be a big problem if you read notebookreview forums.

2) the badly balanced crappy Tripod heatsink design, which causes core temperature differences, which are made worse by improperly sized thermal VRM pads.  Those are the main issues, which usually require you do a repaste and rebalance or bend the heatpipes slightly, or buy and cut some properly sized thermal pads to avoid the balance issue.

5 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

2) the badly balanced crappy Tripod heatsink design, which causes core temperature differences, which are made worse by improperly sized thermal VRM pads.  Those are the main issues, which usually require you do a repaste and rebalance or bend the heatpipes slightly, or buy and cut some properly sized thermal pads to avoid the balance issue.

But I heard they fixed it with the kaby lake models... But I'm not 100% sure about that.

1 minute ago, MSM_15 said:

Snip

Its better. Still not perfect. Which still requires disassembly to achieve 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

Well, are there any good alternatives? (120Hz is a must for me)

9 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

You might find something from a Clevo reseller like Sager.

Alright, thanks for the help.

I might check out Asus's upcoming AMD laptop that has 120Hz.

I really need that 120Hz for competitive games.