New York to DC Hyperloop like gets the go-ahead

zxsq

Original source is Elon Musk's twitter via Spiceworks

Musk published a tweet earlier today, saying that he “just received verbal govt approval for The Boring Company to build an underground NY-Phil-Balt-DC Hyperloop. NY-DC in 29 mins.” This is the first line Musk’s Hyperloop project plans to construct, with L.A.-San Francisco and Texas lines planned.

So, while not ultra official, it looks like the Hyperloop is becoming a reality. A new era for high-tech transportation, and boy would fast trains be nice eh?

The route will take riders from New York to Washington in 29 minutes, a significant reduction from existing express routes which take two and a half hours to travel between the two cities.

Now this is a good early step for getting between any major cities relatively fast. Imagine something like NY to Chicago in 2 hours?

I'm not a US citizen but this is fantastic news! Fantastic technological progress, and I hope it spreads!

Well I guess they are making the world largest vacuum chamber then. Guess a bunch of the material cost might be reduced if they are putting it underground 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Well I guess they are making the world largest vacuum chamber then. Guess a bunch of the material cost might be reduced if they are putting it underground 

The Boring Company, Musk's tunnel boring company, is involved, so I'd hazard to guess that is is underground.

While I am very excited for this, (I live just a bit north of D.C.) I am skeptical about how long it will take to actually become a reality. 

Welcome to Maryland. 

We have crabs. 

1 minute ago, Cyndre1033 said:

While I am very excited for this, (I live just a bit north of D.C.) I am skeptical about how long it will take to actually become a reality. 

Expect 10+ years since they will be boring a tunnel the whole way. Just look how long it took to bore tunnels through mountains in Italy for their bullet trains.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 minute ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Expect 10+ years since they will be boring a tunnel the whole way. Just look how long it took to bore tunnels through mountains in Italy for their bullet trains.

I was expecting that to start, but how much beyond that?  I dont want to get excited and have to wait 25 years until it opens, and then would probably be ludicrously expensive. 

Welcome to Maryland. 

We have crabs. 

8 minutes ago, zxsq said:

The Boring Company, Musk's tunnel boring company, is involved, so I'd hazard to guess that is is underground.

Yah it's probably going to be a long ass two way tunnel that they remove most of the air from. 

4 minutes ago, Cyndre1033 said:

I was expecting that to start, but how much beyond that?  I dont want to get excited and have to wait 25 years until it opens, and then would probably be ludicrously expensive. 

Tickets are going to be expensive as hell either way 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

27 minutes ago, zMeul said:

reality means feasible, actually achievable - Hyperloop is utter fantasy

it could be done, but its just so dangerous, its like having a gigantic vacum gun, waiting to go off if anything happens to the shell,

underground would be easier to work around that but still, it would be so easy for someone to destroy it with a simple drill, even a small hole would be enough

4 hours ago, cj09beira said:

it could be done, but its just so dangerous, its like having a gigantic vacum gun, waiting to go off if anything happens to the shell,

underground would be easier to work around that but still, it would be so easy for someone to destroy it with a simple drill, even a small hole would be enough

I'm gonna go ahead and guess there'll be plenty of safeguards and redundant systems in place to prevent that sort of thing for causing any loss of life or major accidents.

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

Isn't the hyperloop a meme?

Wasn't it proven to be a stupid idea despite how cool it sounds?

"If you ain't first, you're last"

Meanwhile over here in the UK, we're only paying £450 MILLION per mile for a few extra minutes cut off a journey. I'd much rather put the 100 Billion we are investing in HS2 into this beautiful tech.  (If not scrap it all together! That would be ideal.) 

Anyway, yey for you guys across the pond, hope this comes to fruition for yous. 

9 hours ago, zMeul said:

reality means feasible, actually achievable - Hyperloop is utter fantasy

Wont ever get there until we try and figure out what needs to be made to make it happen. 

A smart phone was utter fantasy 40 years ago. A device that fits in your hand that can instantly access the world's knowledge base and communicate to anyone anywhere. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

6 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Wont ever get there until we try and figure out what needs to be made to make it happen. 

A smart phone was utter fantasy 40 years ago. A device that fits in your hand that can instantly access the world's knowledge base and communicate to anyone anywhere. 

there are 2 types of fantasy, one where it needs new tech such as can we travel at the speed of light, can cars fly, other is where independent of tech, its a stupid idea, this is one of those cases, this is worse than airplanes level of danger (even lower external atmosfere) but without the 10km of distance to the soil that allows problems to be solved, if there is a fail on the exterior shell, you are ded if the fail is in the pod you are dead, imagine a train doing 600km/h hiting a wall of air/ debry from the outside wall, 

maybe you can relieve the danger from outside layer damage, by having large "valves" (a giant piece of steel that blocks the tunnel coming from the sides) but even then you would need a lot of them per mile and you would still need to stop the train super fast, and even then if the damage is a bit in front of the pod you cant close the valves.

2 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

there are 2 types of fantasy, one where it needs new tech such as can we travel at the speed of light, can cars fly, other is where independent of tech, its a stupid idea, this is one of those cases, this is worse than airplanes level of danger (even lower external atmosfere) but without the 10km of distance to the soil that allows problems to be solved, if there is a fail on the exterior shell, you are ded if the fail is in the pod you are dead, imagine a train doing 600km/h hiting a wall of air/ debry from the outside wall, 

maybe you can relieve the danger from outside layer damage, by having large "valves" (a giant piece of steel that blocks the tunnel coming from the sides) but even then you would need a lot of them per mile and you would still need to stop the train super fast, and even then if the damage is a bit in front of the pod you cant close the valves.

Saw the video. Im still under the impression that to say its impossible isnt fair. Hell the failures of trying can result in a new methodology or new tech that can be used elsewhere. 

The impracticallity of flyimg was solved by numerous failures over centuries. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Just now, goodtofufriday said:

Saw the video. Im still under the impression that to say its impossible isnt fair. Hell the failures of trying can result in a new methodology or new tech that can be used elsewhere. 

The impracticallity of flyimg was solved by numerous failures over centuries. 

my point is that its super hard to make safe, and if someone wants to destroy it, they could way to easily

5 hours ago, KE2012 said:

Meanwhile over here in the UK, we're only paying £450 MILLION per mile for a few extra minutes cut off a journey. I'd much rather put the 100 Billion we are investing in HS2 into this beautiful tech.  (If not scrap it all together! That would be ideal.) 

Anyway, yey for you guys across the pond, hope this comes to fruition for yous. 

100 billion? holy shit that's a lot of pictures of the queen, how much area would all those bills cover?

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

Elon is like 100 years too late on it.

Hyperloop!

sky2093lrg_1_8a257b12-4c69-478d-a936-671

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Ew public transport

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

46 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Ew public transport

Well, you can be the chauffeur, for those that don't like public transport!

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Given the specifics involved in the requirements for it to function as intended, it will be quite an ordeal. I'm also curious how earthquake consideration affects any potential such hyperloop routes.