Russian youtube allegadly colaborates with the Russian government to censore government critisism

keklolkek

1. You might be asking your self why should I care, I'm not russian ? Well this shows that even Google has to obey the Russian government and who knows  what relationship does it have with other governments....

2. Okey, now that I have your attention... It is no secret that we survive in a totalitory regime here in This Country (a name for Russia, usually used while describing how bad it is), so for this reason most of our media is heavily government-sensored garbage. We turned to Youtube then and wouldn't you know, now it is sensored too... See Youtube has some rules about HATRED, but it uses them to ban oppositional channels (here in russia everthing against our GOD-LORD-RULER Putin or any other governmental politican (exept maybe Peskov, yeah the one who said "Idiots , shit." and cant speak English) is oppositon and should not exist acording to the Russian government).   No big media companies have talked about this yet, so I turn to you: Please spread this information to all that you can! I want this to be public, we want to... live how we want, not how our government wants... Prof: 

Update : " To be or... " channel was revived thanks to this video.

3. Wanna hear some more ridiculous stuff about Russia? Great... Here in Russia a person was officially called a terrorist for filming himself catch pokemon in church. Prof: this is going to be a government controlled Russian media, but this guy was punished so expect truth... http://m.ntv.ru/novosti/1849058/

This means he wont be able to use any money exept paper and bitcoin:(. If you want to help this person then spread the information about him and try to make this public, his name is Ruslan Sokolovsky.

4. All of this was terrible and depressing, but here is a funny thing: The Russian government will check FIDGET SPINNERS for bad influence on children. Prof: https://m.gazeta.ru/social/2017/07/18/10792928.shtml

So maybe everything isnt that bad after all...

Neato, what about VPNs? 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

what about VPNs? 

in the end of june the law about banning VPN passed the hearing. Rumor is circulating that its already been approved and has a date of implementation, but nothing official yet.

Sorry for bad Ingrish

Youtube is a privately owned site, google doesn't care about providing a free speech platform, it just doesn't want to get blocked by russian ISPs and lose all russian market. If wikipedia had done this I would be more concerned and surprised, from google I expected nothing else.

Youtube has never been the free speech safe haven some people claim it used to be at some unclear point, if your content doesn't cause trouble they will keep it up no matter what it is, if it becomes troublesome they'll remove it, it's as simple as that.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Denis Rakhmanov said:

in the end of june the law about banning VPN passed the hearing. Rumor is circulating that its already been approved and has a date of implementation, but nothing official yet.

Everyone in Russia needs to get TOR or something before it's blocked... 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

Everyone in Russia needs to get TOR or something before it's blocked

Apparantly by this new law special forces will track everyone who uses VPN and Tor. Rumour specifically says "VPN, anonimizers and TOR". Nothing official, but knowing our government it'll certanly pass.

Sorry for bad Ingrish

8 minutes ago, Sauron said:

If wikipedia had done this I would be more concerned and surprised

Some wikipedia articles are banned (or were banned) in russia.

Sorry for bad Ingrish

Wish YT would censor Intel marketeers with their crap stuff + lies + glue story.

The church there runs the state. Part of why the kid filming in church got that sentence. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

35 minutes ago, FALAMOUS said:

Here in Russia a person was officially called a terrorist for filming himself catch pokemon in church

after decades of communist ban of religion, Russian churches are a sensitive area. If you are not there to pray it is probably best to go elsewhere for your pokemon.

36 minutes ago, FALAMOUS said:

Well this shows that even Google has to obey the Russian government and who knows  what relationship does it have with other governments....

of course they do. it is called law. if you do not like it you have something called democracy that allows for change.

38 minutes ago, FALAMOUS said:

All of this was terrible and depressing, but here is a funny thing: The Russian government will check FIDGET SPINNERS for bad influence on children.

What I have seen of the Putin presidency is he is taking a USA era-1950s approach to family matters. There was a time in the west when rock music was the devil's music and "the family" was something that politicians served to protect. Make of that what you will. I think fidget spinners are just unnecessary plastic in the ocean. 

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

27 minutes ago, Denis Rakhmanov said:

Some wikipedia articles are banned (or were banned) in russia.

but not actively removed by wikipedia itself.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

10 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

The church there runs the state. Part of why the kid filming in church got that sentence. 

In russia? Are you serious? The orthodox church is merely tolerated by the government (whereas many other smaller faiths are not) as a pre-existing integral part of russian culture, that's a long way from having influence on the government, let alone "running the state".

As for the guy who got a sentence, imprisoning him is definitely an overreaction, but at the same time maybe looking for pokemon in an area of cult is something you shouldn't be doing. Maybe he doesn't care about what that place stands for, but others do and he's disrespecting both it and them. Much like it is inappropriate to look for pokemon in a graveyard it's inappropriate to do so in a church, and you should expect to at least be booted out.

Also this:

23 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

after decades of communist ban of religion, Russian churches are a sensitive area. If you are not there to pray it is probably best to go elsewhere for your pokemon.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

59 minutes ago, Denis Rakhmanov said:

Apparantly by this new law special forces will track everyone who uses VPN and Tor. Rumour specifically says "VPN, anonimizers and TOR". Nothing official, but knowing our government it'll certanly pass.

Now it's official, they passed such law today.

https://lenta.ru/news/2017/07/21/anonymover/ , can translate it later if someone wants.

Sorry for bad Ingrish

Russia has their own youtube?

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

2 hours ago, FALAMOUS said:

So maybe everything isnt that bad after all...

Add this to your original post about how bad Internet freedom in Russia:

1 hour ago, Denis Rakhmanov said:

Now it's official, they passed such law today.

https://lenta.ru/news/2017/07/21/anonymover/ 

Sorry for bad Ingrish

1 hour ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

What, you think google doesn't know where you are and doesn't have localized versions of the website?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Everybody has their own youtube. The thing is that because even extremely popular content is not regionally blocked you'd mostly never notice regional locks (though you could with the movie rental thing for example) and this is also not very visible because I'm guessing you don't speak fluent Russian and generally do not look for Russian speaking videos.

But for example if I do not log into my account on youtube I get almost no content in english it's mostly just Mexican youtube. Lucky for me I'm a bilingual, elitist shut-in so the algorithm already knows that I want nothing to do with locally made content.

-------

Current Rig

-------

The Russian government setup a task force to investigate fidget spinners because they "zombify" youth. Nothing should surprise people anymore.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

What, you think google doesn't know where you are and doesn't have localized versions of the website?

but that's the same youtube, just a mirror right?

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

3 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

but that's the same youtube, just a mirror right?

They have full control on what you can watch through your local mirror though.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

8 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

But for example if I do not log into my account on youtube I get almost no content in english it's mostly just Mexican youtube. Lucky for me I'm a bilingual, elitist shut-in so the algorithm already knows that I want nothing to do with locally made content.

To be fair, the default recommended content is pure, unadulterated clickbait garbage for gullible kids pretty much wherever you go.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, huilun02 said:

In Russia

You don't watch Youtube

Youtube watches you

If you think that doesn't apply everywhere I have bad news for you...

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

36 minutes ago, Sauron said:

To be fair, the default recommended content is pure, unadulterated clickbait garbage for gullible kids pretty much wherever you go.

Well yeah: we're talking about kids that otherwise would be watching reality shows on regular cable TV it's only natural they'll gravitate towards the Logan & Jake Pauls of the world of youtube.

So ironically, even though one of the key differentiators  is being on-demand well you really can't change much of the kind of demand you get from the unwashed masses.

-------

Current Rig

-------