Squealing gpu

So today, I got a gpu back from RMA. I didnt expect anything wrong until I put it into my loop. As there were bubbles coming from somewhere in the gpu block. An audible squeal can be heard from the block until my pump is backlogged with air bubbles. Few questions 

1. What is causing this?

2. How can I fix this?

Side note. I looked on the side and it looks like the thermal pads are much thicker than the original ones. Could this be it? I would imagine that it could 1 effect performance and 2 create a small airhole causing this squeal. I don't see any leaking anywhere though so I'm at a loss. Any idea isnt a bad idea. 

Thanks for the help in advanced

~Jon

3 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Probably coil whine

Isn't that only with fans? And if it isn't how do I fix it?

Sound like that?

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

19 minutes ago, jonwong966 said:

So today, I got a gpu back from RMA. I didnt expect anything wrong until I put it into my loop. As there were bubbles coming from somewhere in the gpu block. An audible squeal can be heard from the block until my pump is backlogged with air bubbles. Few questions 

1. What is causing this?

2. How can I fix this?

Side note. I looked on the side and it looks like the thermal pads are much thicker than the original ones. Could this be it? I would imagine that it could 1 effect performance and 2 create a small airhole causing this squeal. I don't see any leaking anywhere though so I'm at a loss. Any idea isnt a bad idea. 

~Jon

Does this happen when you put a (varying) load on the video card? Or is the video card idling?

13 minutes ago, jonwong966 said:

Isn't that only with fans? And if it isn't how do I fix it?

That hasn't really got anything to do with fans. It is actual power components on the card physically vibrating. It's different from card to card depending on the PCB design, and it can even be different from card to card in the same lineup due to small variations in metallurgical properties. If your card is squealing either during a loading screen or splash screen while running with uncapped framerate, or you're running well into the triple digits, it's coil whine.

EDIT: Even though people have been known to RMA cards for excessive coil whine, it generally isn't considered a sign of a malfunctioning card, and most RMAs are put through because of it being very annoying or very loud in that particular instance.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

7 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Does this happen when you put a (varying) load on the video card? Or is the video card idling?

I'm not putting it under load at all. I am trying to flush air bubbles out of my loop but they keep coming back 

Just now, jonwong966 said:

I'm not putting it under load at all. I am trying to flush air bubbles out of my loop but they keep coming back

I'm just going to piggy back on this quote to say it's probably not coil whine, since coil whine tends to happen on varying or high loads.

However I have little practical knowledge on water cooling loops so I'm not much help here anymore. :/

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

However I have little practical knowledge on water cooling loops so I'm not much help here anymore. :/

What? You don't have an unqualified qualified opinion on the subject? How dare you? This is a tech forum!

Wait... neither do I in this case, sorry OP :S

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

Just now, LooneyJuice said:

What? You don't have an unqualified qualified opinion on the subject? How dare you? This is a tech forum!

Wait... neither do I in this case, sorry OP :S

It's ok. Thanks for the insight though 

38 minutes ago, jonwong966 said:

1. What is causing this?

2. How can I fix this?

~Jon

Can you take a photo of the problem and loop that can provide a lot of information. 

-Multiple topics Merged and Moved to Liquid and Exotic Cooling- 

6 minutes ago, W-L said:

Can you take a photo of the problem and loop that can provide a lot of information. 

-Multiple topics Merged and Moved to Liquid and Exotic Cooling- 

I don't know how much this video helps but here. I'm on a test bed so I could test the gpu before I put it in the case and I start doing hardline bends 

VID_20170720_204431.mp4

12 minutes ago, jonwong966 said:

I don't know how much this video helps but here. I'm on a test bed so I could test the gpu before I put it in the case and I start doing hardline bends 

VID_20170720_204431.mp4

So it's going into the block without air bubbles but coming out with lots, sounds like you have a pinhole somewhere either with a fitting or one your your seals acting as a suction intake. 

12 minutes ago, W-L said:

So it's going into the block without air bubbles but coming out with lots, sounds like you have a pinhole somewhere either with a fitting or one your your seals acting as a suction intake. 

How do I find this pinhole or whatever?? And how would I fix it 

How do I find this pinhole or whatever?? And how would I fix it 

I would start with fittings check all to make sure they are tight and the orings on them are pliable and sealing correctly, next would be seals on the block. What are your other components in your loop?

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

I would start with fittings check all to make sure they are tight and the orings on them are pliable and sealing correctly, next would be seals on the block. What are your other components in your loop?

My loop consists of 

A cpu block 

A tube reservoir

A ek pump

A 360mm radiator 

And the gpu block 

I checked all my fittings and they are as hand tight as I could make it 

My loop consists of 

A cpu block 

A tube reservoir

A ek pump

A 360mm radiator 

And the gpu block 

I checked all my fittings and they are as hand tight as I could make it 

More specifically the models and photos of it? I would change the fittings on the GPU block first to see if they are the culprit, and go by a process of elimination, if it still continues then your going to have to take a close look at the seals on the GPU block. 

4 minutes ago, W-L said:

More specifically the models and photos of it? I would change the fittings on the GPU block first to see if they are the culprit, and go by a process of elimination, if it still continues then your going to have to take a close look at the seals on the GPU block. 

I just wanted to say that the sound is coming from the middle of the block. I saw before that the thermal pads were a good 2 mm thicker. Can this be the reason?

1 minute ago, jonwong966 said:

I just wanted to say that the sound is coming from the middle of the block. I saw before that the thermal pads were a good 2 mm thicker. Can this be the reason?

That wouldn't explain the air bubbles. If your just bleeding your loop unplug all the connectors except the pump to see if the noise goes away. 

21 minutes ago, W-L said:

That wouldn't explain the air bubbles. If your just bleeding your loop unplug all the connectors except the pump to see if the noise goes away. 

The gpu wasn't plugged in to begin with. Nothing is. But what think is that air is entering from within the water block causing the sound 

The gpu wasn't plugged in to begin with. Nothing is. But what think is that air is entering from within the water block causing the sound 

If nothing is plugged in that's being powered then, unless it's the pump making that noise you have a mechanical issue with the seal somewhere on the block.

16 minutes ago, W-L said:

If nothing is plugged in that's being powered then, unless it's the pump making that noise you have a mechanical issue with the seal somewhere on the block.

Well that's what I've been thinking. I was saying that the thermal pads made the gpu uneven and maybe broke the seal? Idk here are the 2 thermal pads 

And I have found that there was a very very small leak coming from the bottom of the block 

15006027445411612788889.jpg

15006027672831675534179.jpg

6 minutes ago, jonwong966 said:

Well that's what I've been thinking. I was saying that the thermal pads made the gpu uneven and maybe broke the seal? Idk here are the 2 thermal pads 

If they are the pads they specify to use then it should work correctly without a problem. I would do a pressure test to see if there is a break in the seal on the GPU, but your going to want to take it off the card and have it so the pump just pushes water to the GPU with no return line once bleed. That should force it to leak and easily find the trouble spot if it is a broken seal. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

If they are the pads they specify to use then it should work correctly without a problem. I would do a pressure test to see if there is a break in the seal on the GPU, but your going to want to take it off the card and have it so the pump just pushes water to the GPU with no return line once bleed. That should force it to leak and easily find the trouble spot if it is a leak. 

So have only pump, reservoir and only the block in the loop and cap off the the outlet of the gpu?

So have only pump, reservoir and only the block in the loop and cap off the the outlet of the gpu?

Yeah once the block is bleed, cap off the return line to the res that should create a high pressure zone with the pump running and give you an answer if something is up.