Dramatic MacBook Pro

So my mum has a 2014 15" MacBook Pro, and was getting bothered by how slow it was getting. So backed up all her stuff to an external drive. Then went into the utility via command+r, went to disk utility and erased and reformatted the drive with Mac OS extended (journaled) then went to reinstall OS X sierra via the utility. Get thru the first install screen and get an error saying failed initiating the disk (I think). Go to erase the disk and get a vague error saying unmounting disk3 then couldn't unmount disk. So at this point I can't install OS X and can't erase the main drive. I've tried getting another copy of sierra on it by a flash drive but I can't get it to pop up.

"Friendship is two pals munching on a well-cooked face together"

Sorry if you said so already, but can you get into macOS at all?

3 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

Sorry if you said so already, but can you get into macOS at all?

Nope.

1 minute ago, Jake0210 said:

Nope.

Put it in a different PC, format or delete partitions entirely, then try again.

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

17 minutes ago, Jake0210 said:

Nope.

If you have a bootable USB then you could completely and thoroughly format the drive as mentioned above. However, the drive may need to be set up a certain way for macOS so look that up.

21 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

If you have a bootable USB then you could completely and thoroughly format the drive as mentioned above. However, the drive may need to be set up a certain way for macOS so look that up.

Ok, I found a site and a flash drive and I am currently making a bootable drive.

Just now, Jake0210 said:

a site

I would only get it from apple if you can. But I think you have to have a device running macOS to get it.

Don't bother with the bootable usb drive. You have to download OSX from Apple directly from the boot. I got the exact same error a couple of months back.

You'll install snow leopard (i think) on the empty disk when it's completely formatted (might need to format it again). After that, update to siera and you'll be good to go.. i fall goes well. I had to install siera twice unfortunately.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

32 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

I would only get it from apple if you can. But I think you have to have a device running macOS to get it.

Well what I meant was I found a site to help me make a drive. I borrowed my moms MacBook Air and downloaded sierra.

3 minutes ago, Jake0210 said:

Well what I meant was I found a site to help me make a drive. I borrowed my moms MacBook Air and downloaded sierra.

Don't ever download an OS somewhere else then an official distributor. Especially since it's legally free download there.

2 minutes ago, Trustadz said:

Don't ever download an OS somewhere else then an official distributor. Especially since it's legally free download there.

Yeah... I learned not to do that. I have a 2006 iMac that I replaced the hard drive on and went to download snow leopard somewhere. Long story short I ended up buying a copy from Apple.

9 hours ago, Jake0210 said:

Yeah... I learned not to do that. I have a 2006 iMac that I replaced the hard drive on and went to download snow leopard somewhere. Long story short I ended up buying a copy from Apple.

OSX has been free for a long time now. (plus apple it's OS has never been that expensive).

Anyway, did you get it working? Best way I did it is to let, i guess the bios(?) do the downloading for me.

6 hours ago, Trustadz said:

OSX has been free for a long time now. (plus apple it's OS has never been that expensive).

Anyway, did you get it working? Best way I did it is to let, i guess the bios(?) do the downloading for me.

No. I ended up sending it in to apple.