Buy parts together or indivudually?

FlushaDev

I'm building a new RIG for high school and giving mine to my brother just for some games, so the question is should I buy my parts individually and just have them sit there until I finish buying all the parts? Or just buy all of them, I know I can buy the video card last, since I'm using a Ryzen CPU... I need help on this

"The only way to do great work, is do do what you love." -Steve Jobs

It really depends. Right now, buying a GPU isn't a good idea, depending on what you are looking for. But for example, if you live in a country with high inflation or economic problems (like I do), buying parts individually is a way of not losing money. I honestly don't see why some people say 'you must buy all parts at once', it's a personal choice and also depends on what you can do

Frostbite (White build PC)

Spoiler

MSI B350M Mortar Arctic - Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz - Corsair H60 - ASUS GTX 1060 3GB DUAL OC @ (2130 MHz Core Clock + 4600 MHz Mem Clock)

2x8GB 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance C16 Corsair 400C White - EVGA 650 GQ

Razer Deathadder Chroma - Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma - Sennheiser HD 598 SR - LG 24MP59G-P

2 minutes ago, FlushaDev said:

I'm building a new RIG for high school and giving mine to my brother just for some games, so the question is should I buy my parts individually and just have them sit there until I finish buying all the parts? Or just buy all of them, I know I can buy the video card last, since I'm using a Ryzen CPU... I need help on this

I would buy them all at the same time in case you find a good deal, or a new product comes out, etc. because you might buy a part now but then there is a better option that saves you money and you will regret your decision.

I would wait, it's not a great time to buy PC parts in general.

Depending on your budget it might be a good idea to hunt on 2nd hand websites for RX 470-480-570-580 cards, they are getting really cheap :P

Of course if you have the budget for 1080 or more don't bother.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Just now, katoptrys said:

It really depends. Right now, buying a GPU isn't a good idea, depending on what you are looking for. But for example, if you live in a country with high inflation or economic problems (like I do), buying parts individually is a way of not losing money. I honestly don't see why some people say 'you must buy all parts at once', it's a personal choice and also depends on what you can do

Yeah that's why I said I will probably buy the GPU last since.. yeah... ethereum..

1 minute ago, Rexem2017 said:

I would buy them all at the same time in case you find a good deal, or a new product comes out, etc. because you might buy a part now but then there is a better option that saves you money and you will regret your decision.

I'm sticking with Ryzen for sure, and all other like motherboards, storage and all that I'm staying with it, but GPU comes probably last

I have been buying my parts over the course of a year, whichever is fine, I get them when they go on good sales. 

Just now, samcool55 said:

I would wait, it's not a great time to buy PC parts in general.

Depending on your budget it might be a good idea to hunt on 2nd hand websites for RX 470-480-570-580 cards, they are getting really cheap :P

Of course if you have the budget for 1080 or more don't bother.

Unfortunately not, my budget isn't that high, that's why I'll probably start buying them in this order:

Case -> Motherboard -> CPU -> RAM -> Storage -> Video Card

1 minute ago, FlushaDev said:

Unfortunately not, my budget isn't that high, that's why I'll probably start buying them in this order:

Case -> Motherboard -> CPU -> RAM -> Storage -> Video Card

Maybe you can let us know the budget, what you exactly want, make a build and as time goes on make adjustments if needed?

That way you have at least an idea what you will end up with.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Just now, samcool55 said:

Maybe you can let us know the budget, what you exactly want, make a build and as time goes on make adjustments if needed?

That way you have at least an idea what you will end up with.

Here it is, prices are not exact, they're from a trusted seller in my country 

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/CtQMNN

1 minute ago, FlushaDev said:

Here it is, prices are not exact, they're from a trusted seller in my country 

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/CtQMNN

I made some small edits, maybe you like it :P

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/bfmCXH

You can get an RX 480-580 for ~250 euro's 2nd hand from germany if you want, prices will probably go down even further so it's not completely impossible to maybe get one :P

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

I made some small edits, maybe you like it :P

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/bfmCXH

You can get an RX 480-580 for ~250 euro's 2nd hand from germany if you want, prices will probably go down even further so it's not completely impossible to maybe get one :P

I wont change the motherboard, but PSU and HDD will get changed, will keep an eye out for a 480/580 thanks a lot!

4 minutes ago, FlushaDev said:

I wont change the motherboard, but PSU and HDD will get changed, will keep an eye out for a 480/580 thanks a lot!

buying once would save on shipping cost thats the only real argument against buying spread out imho.

Just now, NLD1st said:

buying once would save on shipping cost thats the only real argument against buying spread out imho.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Buy what you can now, if money is a problem. If you order things throughout time, you may incur higher shipping costs.

Shipping tbh isn't a problem for this guy, I have no idea where he buys it from, but it cheaper than amazon + it's shipping costs

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

That's usually free if you're buying from Amazon themselves.

So someone's paying him to buy it? :P

I have bought from him before, prices are cheaper than amazon.de and some other sites I know, dunno what is it, but yeah, since it's cheaper, and I'm not the only one in this country buying from em 

2 hours ago, FlushaDev said:

I suggest buying them all at one time. Just pick a couple of your favorite retailers and buy from the ones that have the part the cheapest, at least thats why I do. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, FlushaDev said:

For me, it depends on what you are building for, and how urgent your need is.  Typically, for my servers, i slowly acquire all the parts i need for an upgrade over the period od 6 months.  for my gaming rigs, i typically buy all at once and then here and there upgrades for 3 - 5 years.

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

16 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I suggest buying them all at one time. Just pick a couple of your favorite retailers and buy from the ones that have the part the cheapest, at least thats why I do. 

8 minutes ago, MedievalMatt said:

For me, it depends on what you are building for, and how urgent your need is.  Typically, for my servers, i slowly acquire all the parts i need for an upgrade over the period od 6 months.  for my gaming rigs, i typically buy all at once and then here and there upgrades for 3 - 5 years.

Good to know

Get them together if possible. I made the mistake of buying them individually before and ending up paying a hell of a lot more in shipping than I would've had if I had just bought everything in a single order.

Only order separately if you want to order certain parts at a different store or if you believe it will go on sale soon.(which is really the same as taking a gamble, unless the store is advertising their sales a few days early.)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

together and as many from the same store as possible because shipping charges. unless you get free shipping then it does not matter

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just one question... Why do you think you can buy a video card last just because you're using Ryzen??? They don't have igpus built in, so you will need a video card unless you are using the one out of your old rig?

Why would you ever want to buy things one at a time and just have them sit there? Unless you find some amazing deal that can't wait this is a terrible idea. It makes no difference on the time you'll actually have the whole thing and you may even end up paying more or getting outdated parts depending on how long it takes to buy everything.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*