A Wireless Mouse That Lasts FOREVER! - HOLY $H!T Ep. 20

Already got the MX Master, it's forever enough.

But first, let's talk about parallel universes.

Spoiler

Intel i7-4790k undervolt, NVidia EVGA GTX 980Ti SC Reference, NVidia EVGA GTX 480 SC Reference, ASUS Z97-A/USB3.1, SK Hynix SL308 240GB, WD Green 2TB, Hynix 1333 8GB (4x2), XFX Core Pro 850w, NH-U12S, 4x NF-F12's, Sennheiser HD 558's, Blue Yeti, Corsair K70 (red), Logitech MX Master, XBox One Controller, ASUS VG248QE 144Hz, HP 2010i

A while back someone posted this exact idea on reddit, They shouldve done a kickstarter or something and done it themselves

Ehh my $5 mouse will do fine

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

Can't be arsed watching the video, but is the concept basically wireless charging from the mousepad? 

All you've done is transferred the cable from the mouse to the mousepad.... Surely you'd just be better off with a rechargeable battery you plug a cable into every 3 month?

I'd put my Zowie ZA11 away for this if I could afford it. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

14 minutes ago, AUniqueName said:

Can't be arsed watching the video, but is the concept basically wireless charging from the mousepad? 

All you've done is transferred the cable from the mouse to the mousepad.... Surely you'd just be better off with a rechargeable battery you plug a cable into every 3 month?

For a lot of people removing the cable entirely is not as important as just removing the cable from the mouse, so this product is really perfect.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

10:43 "zero compromises" apart from the imo big don't list...

Also Linus already broke one by dropping it so build quality is probably not that great...

Also, i don't think it's faster than a wired mouse from a competitor.

The idea behind the fact that wireless is faster is because the signal can cover the distance between your mouse and the USB dongle faster than a wire. But the dongle is like right next to the mouse and the biggest distance will be covered via the wire anyway, making the advantage of the wireless part basically nothing anymore.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

52 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

For a lot of people removing the cable entirely is not as important as just removing the cable from the mouse, so this product is really perfect.

Meh... I guess I forgot about the people that have a wireless mouse purely for move-ability and not being tied down by a cable; whereas I do it for that, and also (probably mainly) because I don't like the sight of cables just about anywhere. 

$250 for the G903+charging mat is kinda excessive.  I'll just wait for Amazon to have it for $100 in a few months like all other logitech products.

Also, a good mouse anchor will eliminate the cord affecting the mouse movement.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

can the mouse pad used to charge mobile phone. If not logitech should done that it will be great

46 minutes ago, safwanck said:

can the mouse pad used to charge mobile phone. If not logitech should done that it will be great

Yeah I pretty mutch have the same question.

I was a bit confused about what Linus said around 7:45 about old radio receivers and I had to do some searching to clarify for me. That's what I came up with:

I think he meant that this mousepad uses electromagnetic waves for charging (radio signals) and not electromagnetic induction (transformers, induction stove and other wireless charging standards).

Those old crystals are diodes, they just happened to be in the form of small Germanium crystals. AM radio transmitters have(d) lots of power (I know about one which power output is 2MW and during wet weather nearby cabbage leaves were rumored to play the radio station :) ), Also, old crystal radios had only headphones, which didn't require much power.

BTW the real comment I wanted to say: it seems Linus is just signing the checks for LMG, but the real boss is Edzel :D.

39 minutes ago, Murphistic said:

I was a bit confused about what Linus said around 7:45 about old radio receivers and I had to do some searching to clarify for me. That's what I came up with:

I think he meant that this mousepad uses electromagnetic waves for charging (radio signals) and not electromagnetic induction (transformers, induction stove and other wireless charging standards).

Those old crystals are diodes, they just happened to be in the form of small Germanium crystals. AM radio transmitters have(d) lots of power (I know about one which power output is 2MW and during wet weather nearby cabbage leaves were rumored to play the radio station :) ), Also, old crystal radios had only headphones, which didn't require much power.

BTW the real comment I wanted to say: it seems Linus is just signing the checks for LMG, but the real boss is Edzel :D.

I think the mouse pad will not only charge, but also acts as a receiver for the mouse. So you no longer need to use the USB dongle.

$99 is a bit much for a mouse pad. Early adopter tax I suppose. If Logitech drops it ti $60, then they will get my money.

Signed up just to ask this question: will a mouse work off the mat with the Powerplay puck installed, or will it only read movement when on top of the pad?  I assume it should work without keeping it on the pad considering it should just be acting as a receiver.

5 minutes ago, app1 said:

Signed up just to ask this question: will a mouse work off the mat with the Powerplay puck installed, or will it only read movement when on top of the pad?  I assume it should work without keeping it on the pad considering it should just be acting as a receiver.

I would say it will work, only the mouse won't be charging. The "pad" part of mousepad is for charging, the receiver for data transfer although is hidden in the mouse pad (probably near the USB connector) should work at the same range as the usual USB dongle.

1 hour ago, Deli said:

I think the mouse pad will not only charge, but also acts as a receiver for the mouse. So you no longer need to use the USB dongle.

Yes, but probably to save cost it's the same dongle just in a different form and the charging part is the new technology.

Honestly that could be really cool, where is Linux support?!?

I edit after I post, so wait until I'm done editing if you're about to reply.

The Angry Computersmasher - were I probably rant about stuff that irks me.

6 hours ago, samcool55 said:

Also, i don't think it's faster than a wired mouse from a competitor.

The idea behind the fact that wireless is faster is because the signal can cover the distance between your mouse and the USB dongle faster than a wire. But the dongle is like right next to the mouse and the biggest distance will be covered via the wire anyway, making the advantage of the wireless part basically nothing anymore.

That's not it at all.  Wireless or wired the signal travels at the speed of light or so close to it that it makes no difference.  The cause of the delay is that, whether it happens in the mouse or on the PC, some processing of the signal has to take place.  In fact, typically wireless mice are considered slower than wired, not faster, but these are the exception and that's why they're special.  If you don't believe it you can watch the video where they tested them :) 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I have a chaos spectrum right now and its my travel buddy for sure. No matter where I am, its great to have a wireless mouse with great battery life and the flexibility to be used for gaming. And Living in NYC even going to Starbucks sometimes, can be a pain for using wireless mice. Back when I got the chaos spectrum 2 years ago, I was hoping it would be compatible with future tech through a mod.. but it looks like its not. The tech is definitely very cool but I just can't justify spending another 150 on a compatible mouse + 100 for the mat. 

CPU: i7 7820X  |  Motherboard: Asus Prime X299 Deluxe |  GPUs: ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080  |  RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz  

Storage: 2 x Samsung 960 Evo NVMe (RAID 0)  |  2 x 4 TB Seagate Barracuda  |  PSUCorsair HX1000i

CoolingCorsair H115i Pro  |  5  x Corsair ML140 RGB Fans  

Case: Corsair Graphite 780T