Ryzen mobile speculations

arniks8

I didn't get any input on CPU hardware section, but maybe someone here wants to discuss.

I'm looking at some laptop's for university and thinking whether or not to wait for mobile ryzen (no point in buying the laptop before semester, so I can wait till 1st September). There would be some light CAD and some other stuff with making programms and testing them (I can't be more specific, because I don't know what's it gonna be like). I'm leaning towards a laptop with HQ i5 (I think it would serve well) coupled with 1050, so maybe if needed I could take leverage of cuda and could do some light gaming in the long winter evening's.

Any thoughts on what could I expect from ryzen? Then again does 4 core ryzen scale against 4 core Intel in productive workloads?

Finally what would be a realistic timeline to see ryzen laptops in stores and wouldn't those cost a premium at start?

CPU-delided i5-4670k@4.6Ghz 1.42v R.I.P (2013-2015) MOBO-Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU-Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming@1582Mhz core/3744Mhz memory COOLING-Corsair H60 RAM-1x8Gb Crucial ballistix tactical tracer@2133Mhz 11-12-12-26  DRIVES-Kingston V300 60Gb, OCZ trion 100 120Gb, WD Red 1Tb
2nd  fastest i5 4670k in GPUPI for CPU - 100M

AMD focuses now on releasing Threadripper , Epyc and Ryzen 3

From memory their plans were to then have an APU version for socket AM4 using Zen cores , not what's sold now by OEMs like HP, those AM4 cpus use the older architecture.

I think the APUs are supposed to have a Vega light graphics card and potentially 2GB or 4GB HBM2 for graphics side

For laptop cpus , i really don't know but it wouldn't surprise me if they'll try to make a die with a single core complex (right now all Ryzen processors are made from silicon dies which contain 8 cores grouped in 2  core complexes, each core complex with 4 cores/8 threads.

With half the die they'd have a cpu with 4 cores/8 threads and a 25-35w TDP (since theres ryzen 1700 with 8 cores on 65w tdp) maybe even less,making it competitive on laptops. They could kill 2 cores and have 2 core/4 threads in <15w TDP i think.

This could be combined with some light graphics and HBM2 memory to get all in one chip solution.

28 minutes ago, arniks8 said:

I didn't get any input on CPU hardware section, but maybe someone here wants to discuss.

That's not how it works.

Locked, making multiple threads about the same topic isn't allowed (spam rule).

Discussion can be continued in the original thread;

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !