New to watercooling - temperature concerns

Just went through and water cooled my PC last weekend, then left my apartment for 3 days and have just been using it this afternoon. I'm concerned about the temps that the CPU is reportedly reaching.

I have a full EK loop with the MSI Gaming Xpower Titanium Z170 monoblock over an Intel 6700k @ 4.5 GHz (Aida64 says 1.392 V) and 2 Nvidia 1080 Ti in SLI with no overclocking.

The cooling loop is res/pump > 240 rad with two EK Vardar fans pushing out through the bottom > gpus in parallel > 360 rad with 3 EK Vardar fans pushing out through the top & 2 200mm NZXT fans pulling  > cpu block > back to res/pump. I keep the fans maxed, and the pump is tied to the CPU fan header, with the BIOS set to 50% at 20 C. and ramping up to 100% by 70 C. All other fans are at 100% constantly.

At idle, everything is right at ~30 C, the CPU seems to have a few spikes and fluctuates more than the GPUs. I have been watching temps with MSI Afterburner (CPU1 temperature) as well as Open Hardware Monitor.

Playing GTA V for about an hour or so, temperatures for the graphics cards did not go above 40 C, which I thought was great. The CPU was getting up to around 75 C.

I've also been trying some stress testing to watch the temperatures, I read up and tried most recent (28.5.1.0) as well as the older suggested version (26.6.1.0) of Prime95 doing a CPU test, and in both cases the temp shot up to 95-100 C immediately. I didn't feel comfortable with that and have not let the test run more than a few seconds to see if it comes down at all. After stopping the test it goes immediately back to ~30 C. Testing in Aida64 as well, even though that also goes up to 100% usage, the temps were more around the mid 80s C.

Before going with the full watercooling loop I had a Deepcool Captain 240 and felt like the temperature graphs weren't as jumpy, and temps weren't quite as high while gaming. I never did run any tests with that cooler, though, so I don't have a reference. I dunno, am I just crazy and too worried about it? I know I'm not going to be stress testing it all the time, and I've had other people say that mid-70s are okay temps for a gaming load. 

Links to parts list (without full cooling loop list) and minor build log: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/splodeybaloney/saved/wTsqsY and http://imgur.com/gallery/Z5RUn

1 minute ago, splodeybaloney said:

Just went through and water cooled my PC last weekend, then left my apartment for 3 days and have just been using it this afternoon. I'm concerned about the temps that the CPU is reportedly reaching.

I have a full EK loop with the MSI Gaming Xpower Titanium Z170 monoblock over an Intel 6700k @ 4.5 GHz (Aida64 says 1.392 V) and 2 Nvidia 1080 Ti in SLI with no overclocking.

The cooling loop is res/pump > 240 rad with two EK Vardar fans pushing out through the bottom > gpus in parallel > 360 rad with 3 EK Vardar fans pushing out through the top & 2 200mm NZXT fans pulling  > cpu block > back to res/pump. I keep the fans maxed, and the pump is tied to the CPU fan header, with the BIOS set to 50% at 20 C. and ramping up to 100% by 70 C. All other fans are at 100% constantly.

At idle, everything is right at ~30 C, the CPU seems to have a few spikes and fluctuates more than the GPUs. I have been watching temps with MSI Afterburner (CPU1 temperature) as well as Open Hardware Monitor.

Playing GTA V for about an hour or so, temperatures for the graphics cards did not go above 40 C, which I thought was great. The CPU was getting up to around 75 C.

I've also been trying some stress testing to watch the temperatures, I read up and tried most recent (28.5.1.0) as well as the older suggested version (26.6.1.0) of Prime95 doing a CPU test, and in both cases the temp shot up to 95-100 C immediately. I didn't feel comfortable with that and have not let the test run more than a few seconds to see if it comes down at all. After stopping the test it goes immediately back to ~30 C. Testing in Aida64 as well, even though that also goes up to 100% usage, the temps were more around the mid 80s C.

Before going with the full watercooling loop I had a Deepcool Captain 240 and felt like the temperature graphs weren't as jumpy, and temps weren't quite as high while gaming. I never did run any tests with that cooler, though, so I don't have a reference. I dunno, am I just crazy and too worried about it? I know I'm not going to be stress testing it all the time, and I've had other people say that mid-70s are okay temps for a gaming load. 

Links to parts list (without full cooling loop list) and minor build log: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/splodeybaloney/saved/wTsqsY and http://imgur.com/gallery/Z5RUn

Have you tried tightening down the CPU block more? Maybe the block isn't making contact with the CPU much.

I would say its fine, although I dont use a 6700K myself so not sure (my 7700K is similar to your temps at least for the gaming load). The fact that your temps drop quickly after releasing the load makes me think your mount is alright.

Your GPUs are in the same loop now and so in a hybrid load like gaming they will contribute to the temperature of the whole system.

I know everyone hates that one guy who comments with a video but this one is quite informative when it comes to the science behind watercooling.

Also, it could be that you've used an insufficient amount of thermal paste, poor quality thermal paste, the water block and CPU heat spreader have little contact, the glue on the CPU heat spreader is creating a significant gap between the heat spreader and the die, or incorrect readings.

Few things, first off, 1.4V is quite a lot gör 4.5GHz check how tight your CPU block is and check the thermal paste. There seems to be bad thermal transfer between the CPU and loop

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

The temps seem right to me.  Tightening your waterblock won't do anything.  The reason your CPU is hot is because of the crappy toothpaste Intel uses between the CPU die and the integrated heat spreader.  If you delid it and use some liquid metal you would probably see temps drop by 20C on the CPU.  Also, yeah, your voltage seems really high for 4.5GHz.  I would think 1.3v or lower should be stable with 4.5GHz, which would also help reduce temps.  Full loop cooling doesn't usually change CPU temps that much, especially if you are already using a 240mm AIO.  The major benefit is GPU temps.  Don't expect your CPU temps to be as low as your GPU temps, because they probably won't.

Have you tried lowering your vcore? That quite high for low OC. My is 4.7ghz @ 1.312 v

Magical Pineapples

6 minutes ago, Speaker1264 said:

The temps seem right to me.  The reason your CPU is hot is because of the crappy toothpaste Intel uses between the CPU die and the integrated heat spreader.  If you delid it and use some liquid metal you would probably see temps drop by 20C on the CPU.

this is the 6700k tho not the 7700k it's not quite as affected by this because it can't be OC'ed so high anyway. i'd lean more towards bad thermal paste application or block seating first. if that's been checked then yeah maybe it's the TMI.

BTW in water cooling i would do the opposite of what you did. lock the pump at fixed speed and the fans ramp up and down based on temps. the speed the fluid moves at isn't important past a certain point. it won't make it cooler. the heat exchange surface is really the radiators. in your case you're not losing cooling because you're running them at 100% but that's just too loud you can find ways to manage 5 fans. I'm pretty sure that board has enough headers for that on it's own.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

• 2 weeks later...

I should probably follow up on this, around traveling for work I managed to take a couple steps that, as far as I'm concerned, have addressed my issues:

- I opened the case back and found I could tighten the screws holding the monoblock over the CPU by another quarter turn

- I got into my BIOS settings and manually set the CPU voltage to 1.3 (it was setting it automatically to ~1.4, and BSOD at 1.25)

CPU temp at idle is only 6 F over room temperature, it idles around 26 C. Running Aida64 the temp jumped to around 65 C, instead of 85 the first few times I ran it.