Video games and Unemployment

I'm unemployed and I play video games. But I'm looking for work just not lucky enough I guess. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

These things are always so fun. Of course video games can cause addiction, also sugar, alcohol, smoking, watching TV shows (some crazy people there). That should be the end of the topic. If you want to do something worth with your life, do it, if not, then fucking play videogames, have sex with everyone and smoke and drink until you pass out. Now let me get back to gaming work...

Please fix topic, this thread does not meet the posting requirements for Tech News & Reviews

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

well i would be lying if i said i dont see any links.

i wouldnt go as far to say something like "all gamers...blablabla" but from my own experience id say staying up until 2 or 3 in the morning gaming during the week is not really managable. even though you might think im fine it work out yesterday. do that some days in a row and soon coworkers will notice how tired you look.

also if i was unemployed id defenitly see myself gaming way more. i think it gives you a feeling of accomplishment that if you dont get it irl can be used as a substitute. today if you see me getting really into a game thats probably the reason for me. feeling accomplished when life doesnt give you that. be it social life, love life, or work life.

P.S.: im getting really into CROSSOUT right now :D

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Go play xbox/PS online in Aus and majority are dole bludging bums that sound like they've never worked a day in their life. Are video games the cause? Doubtful, these people would probably still be unemployed possibly even doing illegal things or more of. Do video games help the situation? Purely in the unemployement situation, No. I'd say they enable it.

well it's certainly true that if you're unemployed you have more time to play games. I had a period of 6 months between leaving high school and starting work, and during those 6 months I did nothing but watch Netflix and play games.

on the other hand, there are plenty of games that tend to try to take over your life (MMOs etc) and if you're deep into those sorts of games it may be hard to stop playing them.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

Since it's The Economist, there's generally one of two things they're up to.

1. Tut-tutting the lower classes.
  2. Shaping a Narrative for future expected use to ban/limit/control something.

This seems a lot more of a Tut-tut piece. Gaming is already a bigger business than Movies, so there's nothing much there to capture from the perspective of business interests. Thus this is a "oh, look at the hoi polloi and their games!" instinct they're working off.

The Economist is the absolute top of the Western Media Infrastructure, so it's important to keep an eye on them when they're talking about your area of interest. It's a signal of support to at least the interests that would like to limit gaming, but those don't exist in enough of a cohesive group to matter. Thus it leads me to assume they're just done a report on a worthless study.

Moved out of Tech News section because this entry doesn't meet the posting guidelines:

7 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

The study really only shows coloration but not causation.  While 'Video games leads to living at home and being unemployed' is a sexy conclusion that gets you headlines, the inverse, 'Unemployment leads to living at home and playing video games' yields only a 'No, duh.' in response.

Was coloration on purpose? 'Cause I'm totally cool with coloration.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

No offense to the OP for bringing up good conversation but the source is based on pure assumption.  

They just take employment statistics(without providing a source) and conclude that there's a correlation.

I could say between 2000-2015 the average height of a woman increased by .5 inches and in the same time frame women consumed increasing amounts of Coca Cola. Does this provide any true evidence that Coca Cola causes women to grow taller?

Article is fluff, stats are probably inaccurate or bogus, but who knows as they don't bother to provide a source. If I had to guess I would say that maybe they used census data, which I don't consider very accurate in relation to gauging the activities of males in their 20s. 

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

8 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

No offense to the OP for bringing up good conversation but the source is based on pure assumption.  

They just take employment statistics(without providing a source) and conclude that there's a correlation.

I could say between 2000-2015 the average height of a woman increased by .5 inches and in the same time frame women consumed increasing amounts of Coca Cola. Does this provide any true evidence that Coca Cola causes women to grow taller?

Article is fluff, stats are probably inaccurate or bogus, but who knows as they don't bother to provide a source. If I had to guess I would say that maybe they used census data, which I don't consider very accurate in relation to gauging the activities of males in their 20s. 

None take. I posted this to get all your ideas on this topic. 

You were correct, they did seem to use census data for the study.

As many of you have pointed out, it seems to be a decrease in employment leads to an increase in gaming. 

Here is a link to the actual paper. At the time of OP I couldn't find the study not behind a paywall. 

http://eml.berkeley.edu//~webfac/card/draftberkeleyhurst.pdf

18 minutes ago, Archertwin said:

As many of you have pointed out, it seems to be a decrease in employment leads to an increase in gaming. 

Which makes sense since, well, what ELSE are you going to do?  Even a 'full time' job hunt doesn't take 40hrs a week.  Heck, in the year 2017, everything except the interviews are just done on the internet.  My GROCERY STORE was hiring and the signs in the store were a QR code and shortened URL to apply online.  You're left with spare time that you can either spend on 'affordable entertainment' like movies and video games, or staring at the wall.

Geez... A lot of people hate on MSM these days but I think a bigger problem is people just reading headlines and then jumping to conclusions, without reading the rest of the article. It's not even one A4 page long. It only takes a couple of minutes to read.

This is an extract from the article:

To draw a firm conclusion, however, would take a clearer understanding of the direction of causation.

[...]

For people unable to find demanding, full-time work (or any work at all) gaming is often a way to spend some of one’s unwanted downtime, rather than a lure out of work; it is much more a symptom of other economic ills than a cause.

Some people will get addicted to almost anything. They have a show on TV called My Strange Addiction. It's strange what some people get addicted to. People eat dirt, dryer sheets, liquid soap. I'm sure you could find some people who get addicted to gaming. But to say that gaming, for the majority of people, causes unemployment is absurd.

Best Excuses:

#1(simple) "Well, I never liked that stupid thing anyway!"

#2(complex) "Obviously there was a flaw in the material, probably due to the inadvertent introduction of contaminants during the manufacturing process."

I'd sure as hell be playing a lot more if I wasn't employed. I mean what else would I be doing with my time?

Ryzen is pretty cool I guess

I don't think I have ever seen read or heard a positive story about gaming yet in the mainstream media even though I have researched it and when you look into it they do more good than harm

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

this is just a lack of understanding, stemming from the fact that there are now enough people playing videogames in the world that you can make statistics like this.

You could easily say that breathing air causes cancer, because everyone breathes air, and lots of people get cancer, doesn't mean there is a correlation.

As others have also pointed out, its more logical to say that unemployed people play more games because they are unemployed, not the other way round.

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

It is because video gaming is an addiction, just like any other addiction.

There becomes no balance in life.

The unemployed will tend to spend more time wasting time then actually looking for a job.

I know someone who was and still is employed but due to a medical situation is currently off-work. he's been off work for months and eventhough his medical condition has improved, he has shown little interest in getting rehabilitated and going back to work. He mostly stays at home and plays some MMO (I'm not sure which). I can't help thinking he is partially addicted to this game and that could very well be one of the reasons he doesn't want to go back to work. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS