Windows files not accessible on Linux

Go to solution Solved by Tech N Gamer,
Just now, fpo said:

I have a 32 bit windows 7 pc.

That'll work. If you can, extract those files to it, then download this software to grant Windows the ability to read ext partitions. Once the files have been extracted, use the linux machine to reformat the drive to ext4. Once reformatting is done, simply move the files back.

HDD 1: boot drive with os

hdd 2: file drive with movies, projects, music

hdd 1 originally had windows 10 however I rewrote it with Linux Lubuntu. I recently connected my file hard drive to continue a project, however it says something along the lines of NTFS inaccessible. I thought Linux and Ubuntu flavors supported all Microsoft formats. 

Is my file hard drive locked? How can I access my files? I tried opening the hard drive from within the GUI file manager but as I said it says NtFS is not accessible. 

Has anyone had this problem before, or know the solution? 

Thank you very much for any help to achieve my goal, as well as any attempts to. 

search around for a NTFS driver for lubuntu

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Doesn't look like driver to me, on my Ubuntu 16.04 the NTFS utilities are included with the default desktop installation. I think your drive is just locked to your old Windows user. Read the man for ntfs-3g. I wont paste it here because I want you read the whole first page but these ntfs-3g options look promising for you:

uid=value and gid=value
              Set the owner and the group of files and directories. The values
              are  numerical.  The defaults are the uid and gid of the current
              process.

umask=value
              Set the  bitmask of the file and directory permissions that  are
              not present. The value is given in octal. The default value is 0
              which means full access to everybody.

fmask=value
              Set the  bitmask of the file permissions that are  not  present.
              The  value is given in octal. The default value is 0 which means
              full access to everybody.

dmask=value
              Set the  bitmask of  the  directory  permissions  that  are  not
              present.  The  value  is  given in octal. The default value is 0
              which means full access to everybody.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

19 hours ago, themctipers said:

snip

18 hours ago, mail929 said:

snip

18 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

snip

7 hours ago, Knowitall said:

snip

First I checked online for NTFS drivers for linux, however I was being recommended that NTFS drivers are built into the kernal. Because of this I booted up my main desktop, and tried opening the drive again. I got an error message similar, if not exactly as this person. From the thread, and as the note suggests, Windows wasn't shut down properly... to the computer.

I tried the first recommended terminal command, and received a list of commands, however I tried running each command listed

-a
-aa

Both commands didn't run. I even tried running the commands on the same line as the first recomended command and it didn't work.

I don't think the fact that my file hard drive's name has spaces in it matters. (I titled it "Video Hard Drive" if it's important.)

I tried running the second command, but as I figured new folder doesn't exist.

I would like to read AND write to the driver, however the most important thing for me right now it to edit together a video with clips currently on the file hard drive.

Additional Notes:

The last time I shut down my computer, I did the shut down, procedure as always. Waited for the fans and all to finish spinning. After this, I had powered off the PSU, unplugged the hard drives, and removed the video card to get the hard drive cage out. I simply needed to know which hard drive was the one for the OS. I didn't want to lose my files.

I only plugged in the os drive to be sure I didn't format over the old. So I'm fairly certain that I shut down the computer entirely, and properly before removing power, and data from the hard disks. I read somewhere that the newer versions of windows don't shut down completely or something along those lines.

6 hours ago, fpo said:

The last time I shut down my computer, I did the shut down, procedure as always. 

with windows 8 and above you need to turn off fast boot in bios and then boot and shutdown.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

9 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

with windows 8 and above you need to turn off fast boot in bios and then boot and shutdown.

Do I have to have windows installed? 

@fpo I recently came across this issue using Ubuntu GNOME. Try mounting the drive using

sudo mount -o ro [drive to be mounted] [arbitrary directory (e.g. ~/Windows)]

Obviously, without the brackets. I had a strange issue with it not mounting normally, and mounting it read-only like this helped.

5 hours ago, fpo said:

Do I have to have windows installed? 

NTFS has some protections built in that cause the drive to be locked. That is why I encouraged you earlier to read the man page for ntfs-3g. If you had windows 8+ installed on this drive then you need to boot it without fast boot enabled. Fast boot does not perform a clean shutdown and causes the filesystem to get locked.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

5 hours ago, Anti-Antidote said:

@fpo I recently came across this issue using Ubuntu GNOME. Try mounting the drive using

sudo mount -o ro [drive to be mounted] [arbitrary directory (e.g. ~/Windows)]

Obviously, without the brackets. I had a strange issue with it not mounting normally, and mounting it read-only like this helped.

I tried that and got a giant list. I tried accessing the drive in the GUI file manager. It says it cannot be opened. 

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 3:42 PM, fpo said:

I don't think the fact that my file hard drive's name has spaces in it matters. (I titled it "Video Hard Drive" if it's important.)

it matters as this been common problem as A to windows maybe 00111000 but to linux might be 10111000

language counts and as we humans all use sound computers all use 1 and 0 series

how many languages do humans have???

8 hours ago, bcguru9384 said:

it matters as this been common problem as A to windows maybe 00111000 but to linux might be 10111000

language counts and as we humans all use sound computers all use 1 and 0 series

how many languages do humans have???

I see your point however in the GUI file manager the name is listed the same as windows. 

I even type the name in English in the terminal so if the binary is different then it must've been translated. 

6 hours ago, fpo said:

I see your point however in the GUI file manager the name is listed the same as windows. 

I even type the name in English in the terminal so if the binary is different then it must've been translated. 

I had a similar problem where Mint would not write to NTFS even though it said it was. I was able to fix it by opening terminal and typing:

sudo apt install e2fsprogs dosfstools mtools hfsutils hfsprogs jfsutils util-linux reiser4progs reiserfsprogs xfsprogs -y

I bet the one you just need to focus on is dosfstools and util-linux. However, I just installed them all and it seemed to have fixed my issue with Mint, maybe it will fix your issue.

Brah, do you even Java?

15 minutes ago, Tech N Gamer said:

I had a similar problem where Mint would not write to NTFS even though it said it was. I was able to fix it by opening terminal and typing:

sudo apt install e2fsprogs dosfstools mtools hfsutils hfsprogs jfsutils util-linux reiser4progs reiserfsprogs xfsprogs -y

I bet the one you just need to focus on is dosfstools and util-linux. However, I just installed them all and it seemed to have fixed my issue with Mint, maybe it will fix your issue.

the other problem is... I don't have internet on this computer...

2 minutes ago, fpo said:

the other problem is... I don't have internet on this computer...

If you have some sort of VM software on another computer or that one and have a computer or device hooked up to the internet, you could download and install Windows into a VM them extract the files out of the drive and reformat the drive to ext4, ext3, exFAT, or FAT32. I recommend exFAT or FAT32 since Windows cannot read ext partitions without special software. If you don't have a Windows Install Drive with you, you can use getintopc.com, however, only use this site as a last ditch to get Windows to get those files off the drive. And if I read correctly, this is a separate disk drive and not just a partition, right?

Brah, do you even Java?

1 minute ago, Tech N Gamer said:

If you have some sort of VM software on another computer or that one and have a computer or device hooked up to the internet, you could download and install Windows into a VM them extract the files out of the drive and reformat the drive to ext4, ext3, exFAT, or FAT32. I recommend exFAT or FAT32 since Windows cannot read ext partitions without special software. If you don't have a Windows Install Drive with you, you can use getintopc.com, however, only use this site as a last ditch to get Windows to get those files off the drive. And if I read correctly, this is a separate disk drive and not just a partition, right?

Just now, fpo said:

That'll work. If you can, extract those files to it, then download this software to grant Windows the ability to read ext partitions. Once the files have been extracted, use the linux machine to reformat the drive to ext4. Once reformatting is done, simply move the files back.

Brah, do you even Java?

2 hours ago, Tech N Gamer said:

snip

So I put my file hard drive into my 32 bit windows 7 pc, and the pc did some restarting. After it finished configuring or whatever it did; The hard drive is just readable, and usable on the windows 7 pc. 

2 minutes ago, fpo said:

So I put my file hard drive into my 32 bit windows 7 pc, and the pc did some restarting. After it finished configuring or whatever it did; The hard drive is just readable, and usable on the windows 7 pc. 

Glad to know that I was helpful.

Brah, do you even Java?