NZXT Kraken G series Graphics Card AIO Coolers

I'm considering buying this kit for my graphics card. It looks simple enough, and the vendor cooling solution on my card is a joke, but I've never meddled with graphics card cooling before so I'm wary of mucking about with it. The installation video makes it look TOO simple; is it as easy as it looks? Any idea if it'll work with a Gigabyte GTX 1080 Turbo OC edition card?

Just now, Technicolors said:

whats wrong with the kraken g12? 

Nothing. I didn't know the current model was the G12. Google fed me a G10 link. I updated the topic.

Yes the G12 works with all cards. But it's not as easy as you would think. A lot of people have problems with proper contact. If you get anything over 60C on the GPU chances are it's not installed correctly

Just now, Max_Settings said:

Yes the G12 works with all cards. But it's not as easy as you would think. A lot of people have problems with proper contact. If you get anything over 60C on the GPU chances are it's not installed correctly

Proper contact? Do you mean the thermal paste and mounting onto the GPU itself, or with the entire unit?

Right now I'm struggling to stay under 85C so even 65 would seem a blessing.

18 minutes ago, ZenMonkey said:

Proper contact? Do you mean the thermal paste and mounting onto the GPU itself, or with the entire unit?

Right now I'm struggling to stay under 85C so even 65 would seem a blessing.

Yes proper contact with the GPU core and AIO. For example Hardware Canucks did their review on it and they got in the 70C range and deemed it wasent all that good. Now in Jayztwocents review he had the same problem and thought something was wrong, he realized that some cards have brackets that interfere with having a proper mount and must be cut off. When he redid his test with the fix, his 1080 never hit above 50C with a 120mm AIO.

7 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Yes proper contact with the GPU core and AIO. For example Hardware Canucks did their review on it and they got in the 70C range and deemed it wasent all that good. Now in Jayztwocents review he had the same problem and thought something was wrong, he realized that some cards have brackets that interfere with having a proper mount and must be cut off. When he redid his test with the fix, his 1080 never hit above 50C with a 120mm AIO.

Alright, thanks. I'm watching said videos presently to determine if this is for me. I have a spare Kraken X41 that would be perfect for this if I think I can do it without ruining my card.

it doesnt have to cut off. On my 980Ti EVGA had it too, just buy copper shim (for me was 25x25x1,5mm) and it Works like charm.

G10 + H55 (cheapes AIO) + noctua F12 on H55, on OC max out 55-60C in bench, usually 45-55 in gaming. SIlent even on max load and efective. All cost about 90€.

I watched the video where Jay mentioned cutting off those protrusions, and that was because of the way the faceplate was designed. When he installed the kit without the faceplate, no cutting was necessary.

Thanks for the recommendation of the H55. My Kraken X41 won't fit in my case, because the top 140 slot is blocked by the motherboard IO and the rear slot is 120 only.