What would happen to LMG if Linus was offered a presenting job for a tech TV show?

3 Lions

Just would like to know...

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

Tech computer shows have traditionally not don't very well on broadcast television.  YouTube allows LTT to focus on it's audience more specifically.

It'd be a foolish move to go to broadcast television.

I was on about Linus getting a presenting job, not LTT moving to TV. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

3 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

I was on about Linus getting a presenting job, not LTT moving to TV. 

Oh, so you think that Linus should host a dead end 30min broadcast television show in ADDITION to running LTT.

...Yeah, I'm so sure he has the time for that.

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

Oh, so you think that Linus should host a dead end 30min broadcast television show in ADDITION to running LTT.

...Yeah, I'm so sure he has the time for that.

I'm pretty sure what they meant was Linus taking a different job and leaving LMG (LTT).

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Just now, TheKDub said:

I'm pretty sure what they meant was  Linus taking a different job and leaving LMG (LTT).

Does anyone here think that LTT will last without Linus?

He wouldn't have to leave LMG, just take a month or two away to film it. Obviously you have to understand that I'm not saying Linus should quit LMG to do a TV show, I mean for god sake it's his own company :)

زندگی از چراغ

He wouldn't. It doesn't really make sense to leave a business you've built from the ground up to do a TV show that likely won't pay much more than he makes now, plus he'd have to uproot his family, move, etc etc. It just won't happen.

Now, if we're talking in pure hypothetical, the show would likely be passed on to another employee to host (say, Luke for example). It won't just vanish overnight, it's not like it's a 2 man team and without one individual the whole thing falls apart.

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Does anyone here think that LTT will last without Linus?

I do. Content is content, and while he is the "face" of it now, eventually I'm sure he'll transition to a less active roll.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

The reason I brought this up is because of after watching this...

The show has nosedived since Craig Charles joined after Jason Bradbury left, he just doesn't fit the role at all. The lass is okay, but Craig is just so bland and boring and all he says is 'wow'. Someone like Linus would be going absolutely metal if he got to test something that costs £ 54,000.   

زندگی از چراغ

13 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Linus would be going absolutely metal if he got to test something that costs £ 54,000.   

You mean like..........

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

What would happen to LMG if Linus was offered a presenting job for a tech TV show?

Well for one, he has a mortgage on his warehouse condo. Just cant let that slide because I am sure he has personal assurances on it.

The tech show would be a side gig, as Linus is a personality and the center focus of LTT, TQ, CSF.  Without him his channel would suffer.

The tech show would have to pay Linus a lot of money for a side gig.

I cant remember what my esitmations on his over head was. I am sure the condo was $750k-$1M I cant remember the comperables.

5% down would have meant $50K cash upfront. At good credit, but business, would be fairly high mortgage. Higher then a personal house. Plus taxes. He needs to clear $50-75k/month. Then there is the condo fee paid on the square footage of his warehouse.

Take into consideration all those factors, and you'd get an idea what what Linus would need to get paid for the tech tv show.

The upside on it is very low. But his YT is a better gamble.

5 hours ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Just would like to know...

If a TV gig was willing to work around the schedule that I need to maintain at LMG and FPM, then it'd be a conversation.

With that said, I doubt I'd take a "host" type role, but if it was something like Amazing Race YouTuber edition or something, that'd be another story.

7 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

If a TV gig was willing to work around the schedule that I need to maintain at LMG and FPM, then it'd be a conversation.

With that said, I doubt I'd take a "host" type role, but if it was something like Amazing Race YouTuber edition or something, that'd be another story.

But can you really be the next host of Dotto's Data Cafe? :P

1 hour ago, LinusTech said:

I will be watching that. In fact, if Scrapyard Wars S01 to S05 is available on Netflix, I will be watching that too.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

7 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

Dotto's Data Cafe?

Fuck I remember that show. Fatty face bearded dude.

There was another, a tag team operation. I see the faces clearly. Short haircut, light color hair, preppy looking side kick, with a darker haired slightly older guy who was the main guy.

12 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it :) 

زندگی از چراغ

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2017-07-23/canadian-g4-channel-stops-broadcast-in-september/.119000

See?  This is why trying to 'break out' of YouTube into broadcast television for tech content is 'bad plan'.  Because it's dying.  The US operations for G4 shuttered in 2014.  The content doesn't work in broadcast television.  I get the idealogical appeal, people can see 'Broadcast Television' as 'More Legitimate than YouTube' but different content works better in different mediums and tech content on broadcast has been a dying trend for a decade now.  It'd be a step backwards.

You might as well ask 'When will LTT finally start to focus on Typewriter reviews!?'.

4 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

You might as well ask 'When will LTT finally start to focus on Typewriter reviews!?'.

You know I'm sure they'd still get decent views on a video about that...

As they say, there's a niche for everything.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2017 at 6:19 PM, LinusTech said:

Wait whats FPM???

50 minutes ago, Sgt. ShadoWolf said:

Wait whats FPM???

Presumably the name of the company (assuming it's a separate company or perhaps a subsidiary) that makes Float Plane Club. Float Plane Media perhaps?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

8 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Presumably the name of the company (assuming it's a separate company or perhaps a subsidiary) that makes Float Plane Club. Float Plane Media perhaps?

My guess would be that it's incorporated and funded separately so as to to keep the venture from putting LMG at risk should it tank.

On 7/20/2017 at 4:30 AM, yathis said:

Fuck I remember that show. Fatty face bearded dude.

There was another, a tag team operation. I see the faces clearly. Short haircut, light color hair, preppy looking side kick, with a darker haired slightly older guy who was the main guy.

Dotto's was a good show. Call for Help with Chris Pirillo was good....I miss TechTV a lot.

Were you perhaps thinking of The Screensavers?

thescreensavers.jpg

Was such a good show back in the day. I wasn't happy when they cancelled it. Patrick went onto some other areas, and Leo ended up doing Call for Help for awhile.

• 2 years later...
On 7/19/2017 at 10:43 PM, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

The reason I brought this up is because of after watching this...

The show has nosedived since Craig Charles joined after Jason Bradbury left, he just doesn't fit the role at all. The lass is okay, but Craig is just so bland and boring and all he says is 'wow'. Someone like Linus would be going absolutely metal if he got to test something that costs £ 54,000.   

Im not among this shows target group. Thats for sure

2017..why i am seeing this..?

Can be deleted

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO