5 Ways to Watch 4K Content on the PC

Thanks to Intel for sponsoring this video! Check out the Intel NUC on Newegg: http://geni.us/XS3BEan

How do you watch 4K content on your PC? Are you big on streaming, or are you more of a physical media type?

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

4 ways to watch 4k content would sound catchier and could attract more views

just sayin

Who the hell is gaben Jr, you dont deserve to rep that name. 

Smoking weed at the red light like its legal

>Every single mention of DRM

*groans* Yuck. Digital restrictions management is disgusting. And sadly it's here in 4K.

I edit after I post, so wait until I'm done editing if you're about to reply.

The Angry Computersmasher - were I probably rant about stuff that irks me.

11 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

or just buy a Xbox one S, for 249$ or (200$ on sale), you can have HDR 4k support, the bonus is you also have a gaming console. 

$25 PS3 bro. Way better 

I never knew how awful the DRM was for 4K content. I was surprised when you mentioned 4K Netflix was only going to work with 7th Gen Intel CPUs on the WAN Show a while back and even thought I may have misunderstood. Has this been the case since 4K Netflix was introduced? And does anyone know whether Ryzen is compatible?

As for needing an approved monitor for 4K Blu-Rays, that really is ridiculous!

Great video as ever though :)

4 minutes ago, HunterSkater429 said:

$25 PS3 bro. Way better 

no 4k support

25 minutes ago, GabenJr said:

How do you watch 4K content

11 minutes ago, MooseCheese said:

I never knew how awful the DRM was for 4K content. I was surprised when you mentioned 4K Netflix was only going to work with 7th Gen Intel CPUs on the WAN Show a while back and even thought I may have misunderstood. Has this been the case since 4K Netflix was introduced? And does anyone know whether Ryzen is compatible?

As for needing an approved monitor for 4K Blu-Rays, that really is ridiculous!

Great video as ever though :)

It has nothing to do with the CPU itself, the thing is that in every mainstream intel cpu there's also an iGPU and that's the thing that handles the DRM.

You can basically buy the cheapest NUC out there and do the same. As long as it has the iGPU it will work fine, doesn't matter if it's an i3 or i7. Raw CPU power isn't relevant here :P

Ryzen can't do this because there's no iGPU at all, that's a spot their APU's fill in.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

18 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

or just buy a Xbox one S, for 249$ or (200$ on sale), you can have HDR 4k support, the bonus is you also have a gaming console. 

Thats what I did (on sale), sure wasn't gonna swap out a Skylake  CPU for a Kaby Lake one

6 minutes ago, HunterSkater429 said:

$25 PS3 bro. Way better 

No 4k Disc support, not even your fancy PS4 Pro has 4k Disc Support, Sony doesn't care about anything other then gaming on the console, app support is a joke compared to what you get with the Xbox One S thanks to the UWP apps. I buy consoles based on EVERYTHING they are capable of, like I bought my PS2 because it was the cheapest DVD player at the time, my PS3 because it was the cheapest Bluray player at the time and the One S because on sale it was the same price as the cheapest 4k UHD bluray player and it could also game. If you are buying a console purely for gaming you are doing it WRONG and should build a PC, also show me a used PS3 going for $25 anywhere that WORKS, most are selling around 100 with the exception of the Vaping moron try to buy a mod for his vaporizer and doesn't have a controller and even then he wants 30 bucks.

3 minutes ago, Hero1117 said:

How much is the 4k player? and where to buy?

130 USD on Newegg for the Pioneer unit featured in the video. I was no joke just researching that drive last week to see if anyone had made a PC based 4k drive yet.

13 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

no 4k support

Oh shit that's right it's 4k, I was thinking Blu Ray xD my bad

I'm sure I heard a rumour that PC's with recent Nvidia Graphics Cards will play 4k Blue-ray Discs? (obviously if you buy a drive) Any more developments regarding this?

6 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

It has nothing to do with the CPU itself, the thing is that in every mainstream intel cpu there's also an iGPU and that's the thing that handles the DRM.

You can basically buy the cheapest NUC out there and do the same. As long as it has the iGPU it will work fine, doesn't matter if it's an i3 or i7. Raw CPU power isn't relevant here :P

Ryzen can't do this because there's no iGPU at all, that's a spot their APU's to fill in.

So does that mean when Kaby Lake E comes along, 4K Netflix won't be supported since it lacks onboard graphics?

3 minutes ago, MooseCheese said:

So does that mean when Kaby Lake E comes along, 4K Netflix won't be supported since it lacks onboard graphics?

Likely, you need the iGPU and the HEDT platform from Intel hasn't supported an iGPU in forever.

However it's likely there will be graphics cards by then that do support it as well.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

This would have been the perfect video for a TunnelBearrr ad placement. Where we arrr going we dont need DRM.
Also, less geo-blocking if you insist on paying for loosing control over your computer and having to deal with BS.

Can I get 4k Netflix if I don't have a kaby lake cpu, but have a 1070 graphics card?

Im sorry but i have that exact nuc, and its been a driver disaster from the start. The gfx driver are flickering and every new update havent solve the issue. Intel support told me it was my tv, but ive always doubted that. I had to buy a USB-C to hdmi and now its working. Intel forum is full of post about flickering screen and crash. Honestly very disappointed in that product and Intel support. Very easy to push the problem toward my peripheral...

Well xbox one S it is than, Intel can Suck a Fk with that attitude of theirs. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

WAIT A SECOND, that graph at 7:18 is BOGUS. The Kaby Bench must be at 1080p damnit and the bottom is likely the true 4k average which is better than a desktop running a GTX 1080 (although not on minimums) . What the hell is the shitty APU from 2011 doing on this graph? The avg and min are probably from 720p low settings. Please fix!!! (upvote this plz) This NUC can play 4k 60fps with external GPU. Whoever did these graphs needs a new job.

Honestly, I was somewhat surprised and disappointed that Linus didn't take the opportunity to completely blast producers and vendors over this stupid mess of DRM they tried to throw onto PC. 

Regular Blu Ray is a pain in the ass already. These hardware DRM restrictions (it's certainly not performance, nor even lacking decode hardware in some GPUs) are asanine, grossly anti-consumer, and should die in the hellfire where it belongs. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

This is partly the reason why I stuck with DVD and didn't make the switch to BD until last year, exactly right at the time when 4K began to take foothold. You don't jump onto the latest bandwagon, rather wait a generation for the kinks to get worked out. For years I ripped DVD's using software to store them on my media server and still do the same today with BD, the only difference being a change of playback software from WinDVD that came bundled on my laptop to PowerDVD that was bundled with my BD ripper.

What's funny is that during the last year I updated to a 4K smart TV to play my movie and media library over my network, and it works great. Would I like to rip and play 4K discs? Hell yes. Can it be done the way I do it with DVD and BD? Not today, and probably not for a long while yet on the PC side.

I also have no plans to buy a stand-alone disc player - no point when the PC is far superior, especially when paired with a smart TV.

Still waiting for an intel iGPU generation with real native HDMI 2.0.

Kaby Lake still has fake HDMI 2.0 converted internally from DisplayPort. (maybe that's the cause of the issues with PowerDVD?).

Probably that was worth mentioning in an in-depth video. (I don't wanna think this has something to do with the video being sponsored)

Kaby Lake is a step in the right direction with HEVC/VP9 10bit + DRM compliance.

Now I need HEVC 10bit + DRM + real HDMI 2.0 (Coffee Lake?).

Then I can build the HTPC for the next 10 years. ("build" is a big word for these little boxes)

19 hours ago, samcool55 said:

Ryzen can't do this because there's no iGPU at all, that's a spot their APU's fill in.

Does this also mean that the core x series can't run 4k netflix?

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

so they impose all these restrictions on us, and expect us not to get UHD torrents online ? It's like they really would prefer that we steal our 4k content.

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64