General consensus on gaming manufacturers

Hello guys!

I'm interested on getting a gaming laptop around $1300. I can understand specs and I know the games I want to play, but the tough part is which brand has overall quality build an/or price=value.

Looking at various websites, a lot of them say MSI, Razer, Asus and HP omens are not even considered.

I will be buying the laptops at best buy (I work there) and size isn't a problem as I understand what my needs are.

I would like to know what the LTT community has to say!

people say asus has god awful RMA, my experience with them has been pleasant.

people say razer has terrible quality/price per performance

i think you are able to get something like a 1060/1070 in there.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

people say asus has god awful RMA, my experience with them has been pleasant.

people say razer has terrible quality/price per performance

i think you are able to get something like a 1060/1070 in there.

Around that price range it seems like 1060 is the average yes, also my Mobo died and it was from Asus. The RMA process wasn't that bad for me, just put it in a box and received another one in a few days. 

Just now, shadowr1ku said:

Around that price range it seems like 1060 is the average yes, also my Mobo died and it was from Asus. The RMA process wasn't that bad for me, just put it in a box and received another one in a few days. 

people have had much worse experience (asus straight up stole them, forever response time, never recieved the product again, etc)

i had a 4 day RMA with my 760 (drove up to their RMA center, had a forum already filled in, 4 days later I got another 760)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

My general thoughts on gaming laptops are they're tacky, needs some work on the software side to actually do its job, and in a lot of cases, is too focused on gaming to care about what a laptop should also be: portable. Like the ASUS laptop with the Max-Q design looks great on paper, until I see it gets two hours off the battery browsing the internet.

So on that note... I've had an ASUS gaming laptop that served me well. I also have a Dell Inspiron gaming laptop that's still going strong. Those were the only two gaming oriented laptops I've owned.

However, Razer seems to be the only one who cares about battery life. Dell too, for the Inspiron Gaming models.

A lot of LTT videos on new laptops with different brands, can barely even remember them.

You should probably look through them, I think they're very helpful in your case.

7 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

My general thoughts on gaming laptops are they're tacky, needs some work on the software side to actually do its job, and in a lot of cases, is too focused on gaming to care about what a laptop should also be: portable. Like the ASUS laptop with the Max-Q design looks great on paper, until I see it gets two hours off the battery browsing the internet.

So on that note... I've had an ASUS gaming laptop that served me well. I also have a Dell Inspiron gaming laptop that's still going strong. Those were the only two gaming oriented laptops I've owned.

However, Razer seems to be the only one who cares about battery life. Dell too, for the Inspiron Gaming models.

I agree with Razer's philosophy on battery life and design, but the price definitely shows :P

Does dell have sub 1300 laptops? Or do you have to order them online?

14 minutes ago, Mello said:

A lot of LTT videos on new laptops with different brands, can barely even remember them.

You should probably look through them, I think they're very helpful in your case.

Well I am wondering about the manufacturer's themselves, not the models. If anything, I'm wondering why not a lot of websites and forums talk about MSI and Asus, not about the HP omen.

17 minutes ago, shadowr1ku said:

I agree with Razer's philosophy on battery life and design, but the price definitely shows :P

Does dell have sub 1300 laptops? Or do you have to order them online?

Their Inspiron 15 7000 gaming series at its fullest configuration is under $1300 USD. You may be able to find them in big box retailers, but otherwise yes, you'd have to order it online. Just make sure to get the IPS display.

EDIT: The fullest spec'd version is on sale now at Dell's Website for $1099, off from $1249. It includes a 128GB SSD and the IPS screen.

7 hours ago, shadowr1ku said:

MSI, Razer, Asus and HP omens are not even considered.

Agree with this but not MSI. Yeah their low end model (GL, some GP) sucks but not the others.

For $1300 you can get a GTX 1060 laptop. If you're willing to turn down the settings then don't get a gaming laptop, look for laptops with excellent build quality and a decent enough GPU like GTX 1050 - for example, Dell XPS 15

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Just now, ZM Fong said:

Agree with this but not MSI. Yeah their low end model (GL, some GP) sucks but not the others.

For $1300 you can get a GTX 1060 laptop. If you're willing to turn down the settings then don't get a gaming laptop, look for laptops with excellent build quality and a decent enough GPU like GTX 1050 - for example, Dell XPS 15

agree, I love my MSI Apache its really been great specially for its age, and agree even more with your next point. 

I'd look for a Dell with a dGPU. Remember op unless the i7 is a HQ than its all just a i5. intel been doing it for years, Sonsofbitches. 

Few Dell models with 1060's would be a epic gaming PC and even none with a 1050Ti which will run cooler and still game pretty good. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

11 hours ago, shadowr1ku said:

Well I am wondering about the manufacturer's themselves, not the models. If anything, I'm wondering why not a lot of websites and forums talk about MSI and Asus, not about the HP omen.

11 hours ago, shadowr1ku said:

I'm interested on getting a gaming laptop around $1300. I can understand specs and I know the games I want to play, but the tough part is which brand has overall quality build an/or price=value.

So now I'm confused, cause what I said does apply to what you said in the first place.

Sadly, I can't help.

5 hours ago, Not_Sean said:

Remember op unless the i7 is a HQ than its all just a i5. intel been doing it for years, Sonsofbitches. 

A ULV i7 isn't even reaching Skylake/Kaby Lake desktop i3 performance (even the G4560 is better)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

18 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

A ULV i7 isn't even reaching Skylake/Kaby Lake desktop i3 performance (even the G4560 is better)

Yeah man, Its insane that no one is calling Intel out on it. the i7-U's are useless. 

Really think @LinusTech & @Slick should do a vid on it, Well will be way more relevant when Ryzen starts rolling out in Laptops. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333