Opinions on build

Hi guys! I'm new to pc builds and have been inspired by Linus and my uncle, so I've decided that I want to build my own gaming setup. I'm mostly playing open world RPG's and FPS's like Skyrim, GTAV, Far Cry, BF-series, COD, AC and so on. These are the components I've found thus far that seem like a good setup, and I wanted to know if you guys have any tips or remarks regarding compatibility (my research has shown that everything should workout nicely, but then again it's my first time doing this, and I'm not really a technical genius. Thanks for any feedback! :)

Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero, Socket-1151

CPU - Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Prosessor 

RAM - Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 3200MHz 16GB

GPU - ASUS GeForce GTX 1080Ti ROG Strix Gaming

PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2, 850W

Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2

Storage - Samsung 960 PRO 512GB M.2 PCIe SSD

Chassie - Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5

Monitor - ASUS PG348Q ROG SWIFT 34" 3440X1440 IPS G-SYNC 100HZ

Yeah that is pretty much the best gaming rig you can make at the moment.

You can get the 600ish watts variant for the PSU if you don't plan on SLI, it is already plenty enough. And you should get another cheaper like 480gb SSD SanDisk Plus G26 to store games.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Lipat27 said:

Hi guys! I'm new to pc builds and have been inspired by Linus and my uncle, so I've decided that I want to build my own gaming setup. I'm mostly playing open world RPG's and FPS's like Skyrim, GTAV, Far Cry, BF-series, COD, AC and so on. These are the components I've found thus far that seem like a good setup, and I wanted to know if you guys have any tips or remarks regarding compatibility (my research has shown that everything should workout nicely, but then again it's my first time doing this, and I'm not really a technical genius. Thanks for any feedback! :)

It's a great build overall, will work out very well.

However, I personally don't suggest AT ALL to get a m.2 PCIe ssd.

You are NOT gonna notice differences in any normal or even superheavy gaming workloads or general use over a very good sata (like the samsung). So, I suggest to go for a 850 EVO/PRO 1TB or just save bucks and keep 500GB but still sata.

Another completely personal opinion, 4K IPS monitors are a much better experience than wide higher refresh ones. So I'd suggest to go full 4K, even at 60Hz.

5 minutes ago, Lipat27 said:

dont get the h100i, get the kraken x52 or x62 (look way better) and get yourself an evga 650 g2, you dont need 850.

1 minute ago, ErrantNyles said:

You are NOT gonna notice differences in any normal or even superheavy gaming workloads or general use over a very good sata (like the samsung). So, I suggest to go for a 850 EVO/PRO 1TB or just save bucks and keep 500GB but still sata.

Another completely personal opinion, 4K IPS monitors are a much better experience than wide higher refresh ones. So I'd suggest to go full 4K, even at 60Hz.

60hz is awful.

Just now, MrJarhead said:

60hz is awful.

It's an opinion, take it as you like xD I care MUCH more about resolution and colors than 144 over 60 Hz. Anyone is different.

4 minutes ago, ErrantNyles said:

I mean, M.2 SSD's are pretty affordable.. Some not going for much more than your every day Sata SSD.

But the 850 Evo is an outstanding choice.

For gaming 4K is still kind of jagged, it looks great and can definetly be played with a GTX 1080ti.

I, unlike you, prefer refreshrate over resolution. 1440p, 144Hz IPS and G-Sync makes my mouth water.

2 minutes ago, MrJarhead said:

dont get the h100i, get the kraken x52 or x62 (look way better) and get yourself an evga 650 g2, you dont need 850.

The H100i v2 is not a bad choice, getting a Kraken x52 or x62 is a matter of choice. But all in all yeah, I agree. The Krakens look pretty dope.

Also yes, 850w might be a bit overkill, but I'd only back down to 750w for some extra headroom.

2 minutes ago, MrJarhead said:

60hz is awful.

That's a personal preference, most people use it.

----

To your original post I can't say anything is wrong, you've picked EVERYTHING enthusiast graded.

I really like your build and you seem prepared for what's to come.

If I got to change anything it would be the chassi, but like most others here it's a highly personal opinion.

If you haven't checked them out I can recoomend these:
NZXT S340 Elite (White looks SICK)
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass (Any prefered color)

NZXT P400s TG Panel

And the list goes on.

HarwareCanucks makes some sweet videos about different chassies, his reviews are ON POINT!
Look him up! :)

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

Yeah that is pretty much the best gaming rig you can make at the moment.

You can get the 600ish watts variant for the PSU if you don't plan on SLI, it is already plenty enough. And you should get another cheaper like 480gb SSD SanDisk Plus G26 to store games.

Thank you for the tip! I never though of an extra ssd for games, though, maybe I should do that? 

2 minutes ago, Lipat27 said:

Thank you for the tip! I never though of an extra ssd for games, though, maybe I should do that? 

You should since games are heavier and heavier, leaving the main SSD for OS, core applications and all, you can use the secondary cheaper SSD for storage at a cheaper price per gigabyte [:

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Also if I may add, as an ultrawide enthusiasm myself DO NOT change your monitor pick, it is probably the best panel there is for any gaming but "professional CS:GO gameplay" even though you can play it too just fine xD

Personal Desktop":

1 hour ago, ErrantNyles said:

Do you recommend any 4K monitors that would go well with my setup? Now that you mentioned it I actually prefer graphics as well, but I'm not so knowledgeable in the field of Hz vs 4K IPS. Wouldn't higher refresh rates smooth everything out with less lag? (Not that 60fps is laggy though)

17 minutes ago, Lipat27 said:

Do you recommend any 4K monitors that would go well with my setup? Now that you mentioned it I actually prefer graphics as well, but I'm not so knowledgeable in the field of Hz vs 4K IPS. Wouldn't higher refresh rates smooth everything out with less lag? (Not that 60fps is laggy though)

Yes higher refresh means more "smooth" experiences.. in some cases. I mean, if you play Skyrim at 144 or 60Hz or even just 30, there isn't a HUGE difference. While if you play COD or DOOM or pretty much any other FPS there's a significantly difference in the overall experience.

However, what I mean is that if the game is well supported, or developed for, or modded for 4K resolution, I'd totally go over 4K60HZ rather than anything else. It looks more realistic.

Dunno pricing in your region, but Asus, Samsung, HP and Dell have all several great monitors for every purpose. Something really useful is the "picture in picture" function that allows you to "divide" your screen into up to 4 fullHD if you are, to say, gaming and watching a movie at the same time. 

Good specs are 60+Hz at 1ms (TN, but that's only if you want a cheap option) 5ms (IPS/PLS/VA panels which gives you much better colors and view angles). A minimum of 27" is required in my opinion for a good 4K experience, 28-32" being the best choices. Of course, search for G-sync compatibility, but that will increase the cost a lot.

Hi someone recently gave me a Dell XPS Studio 8100 what can I do with it

2 hours ago, Jim84 said:

Hi someone recently gave me a Dell XPS Studio 8100 what can I do with it

Start your own thread, don't hijack someone else's.