Intel 12-core i9-7920X features a 2.9GHz base clock.

FishTea
6 minutes ago, Dr. KEK said:

i think it's a sign of manufacturing limitations related to things other than TDP. the yield is probably crap, so they didn't feel obligated to bin them due to lack of competition. it will probably change over the next year, time will tell

by lack you mean the 1920x and 1950x?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

by lack you mean the 1920x and 1950x?

Think he means previous lack. Competition is there now which is why he says "will probably change over the next year" (it won't btw) If Intel anything they will do it next gen. Modifying this generation would be admitting fault and they will never do that.

1 hour ago, Valentyn said:

At this rate Threadripper will have stronger single core than the i9 16 core; especially if the clocks are lowered even more.

I seriously hope they are soldered, the 16 and 18 cores will be horrifically hot, or really low clocks if they're not soldered.

At this rate only extreme enthusiasts like Done12Many2 will be able to run these CPUs at decent speeds.

Given the way Zen packages scale, it was kind of a given why Threadripper would be very good in comparison to what Intel as in this space. The issue is that Intel's design for high-speed cores is really going to tail off beyond 8c. That's a lot of Power and Heat concentrated in a really small area. That's really the issue with X299. The socket wasn't planned for an 18c part.

I expect clocks to be limited by total power to the socket, unless they roll out a v2. 750w power draw at 4 Ghz, anyone? :)

Because ryzen overclocks so well right? Base clock doesnt mean much until the boost clock are released. The 7900x can clock at 5.0ghz and its base clock is 3.3ghz so just wait and see before going full fanboy.

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K  MOBO: ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA GPU: 2080ti Hall of Fame 10th anniversary limited edition  PSU: Asus ROG THOR 1200W  COOLER: Optimus foundation black acetal RADS: 3x EKWB CoolStream PE 360  LOOP: EKWB torque HDC fittings / EKWB ZMT 15,9/9,5mm / EKWB CryoFuel Clear MONITOR: Acer predator X34

Base clock: something I only see for the first 30 seconds of installing a new chip.

7920X is 140W TDP btw so comparing it to AMD's optimistic-TDP of 155W isn't really apples apples.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

23 minutes ago, TheRedViper said:

Base clock doesnt mean much until the boost clock are released.

Still doesn't mean much, as far as overclocking potential goes. It just means that those are the clocks that Intel's testing shows as being efficient enough for (relatively) lower end cooling with minimal throttling.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Still doesn't mean much, as far as overclocking potential goes. It just means that those are the clocks that Intel's testing shows as being efficient enough for (relatively) lower end cooling with minimal throttling.

Well, those are the clocks that won't melt the coolers. 

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

Well, those are the clocks that won't melt the coolers. 

Way to rephrase what I just said...

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 hours ago, leadeater said:

Any takers on guessing all core boost? :P Past Xeons all core boost around 500Mhz so I'll go with that.

Am I still allowed to play the game if I already know the answer? lol

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Just now, Valentyn said:

You'll still get to play Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

On all 12 cores!

Just now, MageTank said:

On all 12 cores!

Yes, you get to choose the resolution though. 

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

7 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

A high turbo boost even with the 3.0 new technology 2 cores thingy won't make up for a very low clock base, if the 12 cores already can't keep up with 3ghz for base clocks (last time i had a 2.9ghz base processor was with the Core2Duo E7500 LOL!) then the i9 7980xe will be a joke on what comes to it's frequencies and thanks to the temperature issues you can even delid it  I am guessing 4ghz might out of the question.

We're not there yet for that many cores apparently, due to pricing it is likely you'll be better off with Xeons if you do need or want more than the 10 cores of the i9 7900x..... or obviously a TR.

I would go so far as to say that 3.5 GHz on all 18 cores is way out of the question. Thermals will spike the moment you enter 3.2 GHz on every core on the i9-7980XE, and power draw will be so significant that board makers that don't have dual 8-pin EPS connectors (even ones with an 8 + 4-pin config) on their current high-end offerings are going to have to revise the boards to include two 8-pins for any kind of overclocking, as each 8-pin EPS connector are going to be pulling more than 30 amps of current + up to 300 watts each. Pretty much out of spec for most power supplies with CPU power connectors, and power supply requirements for high-end configs (we're talking 1 GTX 1080 Ti (250-350W TDP) or Nvidia Titan Xp (250W TDP)) with this CPU are going to be enormous (we're talking at least 100 amps on the +12V rails and 1 kW or more for total capacity).

Edited by JurunceNK

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

5 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

Seeing the clocks I don't think the 7920x will beat the 1920x in cinebench at stock clocks, and I feel the 1950x might beat the 7980XE

Oh it's going to from the looks of it so far, but don't take my word for it. We need to see benchmarks from third parties (I use Gamers Nexus these days because their testing is very robust and scientific) for a definitive answer. But Ryzen Threadripper as a whole (even with 2 SKUs down from 9, which IMO is better) looks to be putting Intel's HEDT offerings into the grave.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

1 minute ago, JurunceNK said:

Oh it's going to from the looks of it so far, but don't take my word for it. We need to see benchmarks from third parties (I use Gamers Nexus these days because their testing is very robust and scientific) for a definitive answer. But Ryzen Threadripper as a whole (even with 2 SKUs down from 9, which IMO is better) looks to be putting Intel's HEDT offerings into the grave.

I can see a MAX of 6 SKUs, 1950x, 1950, 1920x, 1920, 1900x(8c), 1900(8c)

all the non x are lower clocked versions, and I feel it would be smart if they release a 8c mostly for the use of the quad channel ram and PCIe.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

11 minutes ago, JurunceNK said:

At 12c, it's going to be close in most of the tests. In the multi-threaded work loads, the 1920X is pretty much the 1600X * 2 or 1600X / 2 for scores.  Or at least should be really close to that. For most of the "standard" benchmarks, that should put it generally between the 10c & 12c SK-X parts. It's once you get out to the 1950X and the 16c that on a core-to-core analysis AMD should come ahead because of clocks. 

The actual IPC difference between Skylake & Zen is pretty small and it's really only in AVX workloads that it really crops up.  However, Quad channel memory should help TR a bit there as well. Any clock deficit will put AMD's offering generally ahead.

Though I really look forward to the blast furnaces people will be making with the 7980XE. xD

8 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Yes, but doesn't the other i9 boost 1+ ghz? So effectively with turbo boost it could be running 4.0ghz?

Unlikely you'll see a full 1Ghz boost.

4 hours ago, dexT said:

It's funny because they only have 5 left in stock.

2 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Base clock: something I only see for the first 30 seconds of installing a new chip.

7920X is 140W TDP btw so comparing it to AMD's optimistic-TDP of 155W isn't really apples apples.

Firstly, Ryzen based products shed heat much faster than Kaby/Skylake-x. So the higher TDP depends more on total capacity of the cooling system. Whereas X299 products are going to be thermally limited much easier because the toothpaste they're using on the IHS isn't capable of shedding the heat they generate fast enough to hit the OC limits of the chip in question. Secondly, AMD and Intel calculate TDP differently.

5 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Well post and lets see if you were right ;) 

I made a promise to a friend that I wouldn't disclose the exact details. Needless to say, someone else has already correctly guessed it in this thread. I can also say the speculated overclocks are completely wrong, and it goes much higher assuming you can keep it cool. That is basically the trend with the entirety of X299. 

3 hours ago, TheRedViper said:

Because ryzen overclocks so well right?

3 hours ago, TheRedViper said:

just wait and see before going full fanboy.

Spoiler

084.png

1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Though I really look forward to the blast furnaces people will be making with the 7980XE. xD

I laughed at this, because truth. 

I never did get to build a dual PSU system since NV dropped quad SLI.  Who would have thought that the CPU could maybe be a trigger?

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 hour ago, AnonymousGuy said:

NV dropped quad SLI

4-way SLI (and 3-way SLI) can be had by forcing SLI on whatever SLI setup you have using Nvidia Profile Inspector and creating the custom AFR profiles required to get them working, if at all. Therefore it's possible, not officially supported.

I can't guarantee that it will work properly (or scale across all the cards in utilization terms). Royal pain in the ass, but there's people out there that has 3-way and 4-way SLI rigs. If you want to know which setting you have to change, it is called SLI Compatibility Bits (there are three variations for different APIs). There's also a section called SLI which you can use to enable them for a variety of use cases.

You have to experiment with that, and you're on your own for that one, and Google may be vital to you.

Would I set up 4-way SLI on my own computer? Nah, but it would be hella fun _dignity_laugh__by_kimraifan.gif

Edited by JurunceNK

RIGZ

Spoiler

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

QUOTES

Spoiler

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

arrrrghhh... need die  shots of these things...

but I guess that's what you get when you take a Xeon off the shelf

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

3 hours ago, MageTank said:

I made a promise to a friend that I wouldn't disclose the exact details. Needless to say, someone else has already correctly guessed it in this thread. I can also say the speculated overclocks are completely wrong, and it goes much higher assuming you can keep it cool. That is basically the trend with the entirety of X299. 

The base of this one is rather low considering Intel has the 6146 which is base 3.2GHz boost 4.2GHz. Every other 6 and 8 series Skylake-SP Xeon boosts to 3.7Ghz though, with either 2.6GHz base or 3.0Ghz base.

This 12c Skylake-X is oddly worse than the Xeon lineup clock wise which is not normally the case.

8 hours ago, leadeater said:

The base of this one is rather low considering Intel has the 6146 which is base 3.2GHz boost 4.2GHz. Every other 6 and 8 series Skylake-SP Xeon boosts to 3.7Ghz though, with either 2.6GHz base or 3.0Ghz base.

This 12c Skylake-X is oddly worse than the Xeon lineup clock wise which is not normally the case.

The SK-X will have Turbo Boost 3.0 enabled, where I think the Xeons don't? So they expect to pin single cores higher, which could mean their thermal envelope is being reached. At least for the requirements they've made on the Motherboard manufacturers. What it'll all-core on water to is going to be interesting. Base-clock matters, but the Boost Clocks are where the important levels are. (Base is a bit more important in server space, correct?)