Intel 12-core i9-7920X features a 2.9GHz base clock.

FishTea

1 minute ago, zeraine00 said:

it's around 9/10 they make BS claims. Remember Rx 480 launch? wcc claims 1600+++ on air. its this 1 out of 10 claims that they can be of right course though.

oh I accept that, but this one is most certainly

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

5 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

That will be the base clock. Its on their spec/price data. Also no one here is really trashing it really. Base clock doesn't tell you loads but its still news. Its saving grace may be it boosts like a boss and ofc AVX workloads.

Really? Why not just follow suit and trash talk it based solely on rumored bclock and nothing else? *

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

29 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Single core boost*

XFR boosts two cores on Ryzen. Threadripper might boost 4 cores if it sticks with 2 core boost per zeppelin die.

If that is the case Threadripper would be even better value.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

34 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

7980XE getting bet, quite possibly, I mean you might be right as if the current trend of clock speed degradation the 18 core could be about 2.5-2.8 GHz (got to be above 2.2GHz as intel has a 22 core at that speed, so 2.5- 2.8 I would say)

So according to my napkin math for the 16c intel to be as fast as the 16c AMD it needs to be at 2.9Ghz, for the 18c to match the 16c it would need a 2.6 Ghz clock.

Math

3.3 X 10=33    2170
2.9 X 12=34.8    2288.4
2.9 X 16=46.4    3051.2
2.9 X 18=52.2    3432.5
2.8 X 16=44.8    2945.9
2.8 X 18=50.4    3314.2
2.7 X 16=43.2    2840.7
2.7 X 18=48.6    3195.8
2.6 X 16=41.6    2735.5
2.6 X 18=46.8    3077.5
2.5 X 16=40    2630.3
2.5 X 18=45    2959.1

1920x 2431

1950x 3062

Spoiler

EXCEL_2017-07-19_09-55-05.png

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

So according to my napkin math for the 16c intel to be as fast as the 16c AMD it needs to be at 2.9Ghz, for the 18c to match the 16c it would need a 2.6 Ghz clock.

so count clock speed wise the 16 core will be 2.2GHz faster all core comined, problem is that intels offering probably will be down at 2.7Ghz (probably won't be 2.9GHz as that would make too much heat) maybe which is a 5.8Ghz difference which is 

And more, several more

35 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

even if it can boost up to 3.6-3.7 that is still slower than AMDs 16 core (which is cheaper) has a boost of 4.0GHz, and a base of 3.4GHz, I personally at the moment see no need for this 12 core, as AMDs 16 core looks like it can out perform it, yes we will need to see independent reviews until we can say that for certain, but AMDs architecture might be slower than intels, down at the 4-8 core range, but at the high core count they are offering higher clock speeds than intels, because they are willing to spend a little more in order to solder the CPU so you can cool the thing. And aren't scared to make a "big" CPU if it means you can fit everything in it and actually be able to cool it.

(yes for many of these points we will need to wait and see independent reviews on these in order to confirm or deny most of these but from the looks of things at the moment it looks like what I am saying might be true)

True, I think this will perform arount the same as the 16c TR honestly. Price/performance i dont think intel will ever win now Ryzen is here.

But at the same time, we don't know how much the motherboards for TR will cost, so there might not be too much price difference in them.

Also noticed my post from earlier was deleted without my question about the "no tags in titles" rule being answered >.< 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

3 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

(probably won't be 2.9GHz as that would make too much heat)

This is far more dependant on voltage so it depends what clocks they can achieve at a voltage that doesn't get too hot at stock. My prediction would be that the base will be half decent but overclocking headroom will be severely limited without delids and custom loops.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

This is far more dependant on voltage so it depends what clocks they can achieve at a voltage that doesn't get too hot at stock. My prediction would be that the base will be half decent but overclocking headroom will be severely limited without delids and custom loops.

aye quite possibly, I still say because intel doesn't look like it'll be soldering these CPUs the heat limit will be 2.7GHz for the stock and it will be shit at overclocking unless you delid it, in that case it could actually be quite good

And more, several more

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

Also noticed my post from earlier was deleted without my question about the "no tags in titles" rule being answered >.< 

A lot of posts got deleted but it was off topic and the thread is better off this way. At least its back in the right section and discussion is flowing again. You can always take it up with admin like I did if you want, after all the posts are still there just hidden.

Holy. If AMD takes the desktop performance crown (even only non-OC) it will lead to a shakeup at Intel. At least a shift from IoT back to the desktop CPU. Awesome.

7 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I love watching intel freak out over AMD's stuff, its so entertaining :D

This is the aftermath of the freakout. The freakout was them suddenly promising things that previously didn't exist. This now and the upcoming higher core count models is just Intel trying to deliver what they promised.

So now it has pricing AND clock speeds against it. Added to the list of massive power draw and toothpaste for TIM, not so great selling points if you ask me.

Ye ole' train

That sucks, because it means that they won't be soldered. Why??? A $1200+ CPU MUST be soldered :dry:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

it better have at least 3-core turbo up to 4ghz. otherwise it's only good for a render box, and a super overpriced one at that. I do a lot of engineering work that maxes my 6-core xeon @ 4.5ghz, but it's only 4-5 minutes at a time. a lot of the software sees diminishing returns with extra threads - otherwise a lot of it would be better suited for CUDA.

39 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

This is the aftermath of the freakout. The freakout was them suddenly promising things that previously didn't exist. This now and the upcoming higher core count models is just Intel trying to deliver what they promised.

Intel freaked out in Jan/Feb. That's why we're getting binned Xeons on the X299 platform.

25 minutes ago, Tedny said:

So, you will get Unlock mid-range Xeon for the price of High lvl Xeon? 

It's on an electrically different platform, but they're just binned Xeons on a different package. 

5 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

That sucks, because it means that they won't be soldered. Why??? A $1200+ CPU MUST be soldered :dry:

Considering everything going into them, they might solder the 12c and up parts. They probably won't, but they might.

2 minutes ago, Dr. KEK said:

it better have at least 3-core turbo up to 4ghz. otherwise it's only good for a render box, and a super overpriced one at that. I do a lot of engineering work that maxes my 6-core xeon @ 4.5ghz, but it's only 4-5 minutes at a time. a lot of the software sees diminishing returns with extra threads - otherwise a lot of it would be better suited for CUDA.

That's actually the one little oddity. 16c vs 18c is going to be a lot tighter than people think. Most programs spawn in either chunks of 2, 4 or 8. Even getting something to span 16c is going to be hard. But you can also use 10c and do something completely else at the same time.  Heck, some are already gaming + rendering at the same time on Ryzen systems without any worry.  Haha.  I expect more of that to come.

3 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Intel freaked out in Jan/Feb. That's why we're getting binned Xeons on the X299 platform

The bigger freak out was the knee jerk to Threadripper imo.

4 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Considering everything going into them, they might solder the 12c and up parts. They probably won't, but they might.

A base clock so low suggests these are not soldered

i think it's a sign of manufacturing limitations related to things other than TDP. the yield is probably crap, so they didn't feel obligated to bin them due to lack of competition. it will probably change over the next year, time will tell

5 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

The bigger freak out was the knee jerk to Threadripper imo.

A base clock so low suggests these are not soldered

Intel found out about Threadripper very early in 2017. They'd have known when the Engineering samples started going around. (Tech industry is like that. Nothing is actually hidden. Except TR until fairly late in development.) I was discussing this during Computex where it's less Intel made any big errors and much more just a lot of issues slammed together at the same time. 

I would tend to agree on the TIM vs solder point, but a guy can hope.

16 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

At this rate Threadripper will have stronger single core than the i9 16 core; especially if the clocks are lowered even more.

I seriously hope they are soldered, the 16 and 18 cores will be horrifically hot, or really low clocks if they're not soldered.

At this rate only extreme enthusiasts like Done12Many2 will be able to run these CPUs at decent speeds.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q