Intel 12-core i9-7920X features a 2.9GHz base clock.

FishTea

Intel quietly announced the base frequency of its yet unreleased 12-core i9 processor.

The Core i9-7920X, the only 12-core processor from Core-X series, has been added to the official price list. The listing reveals that the base frequency of the CPU is 2.9 GHz, which makes it 400 MHz slower than 10-core i9-7900X.

The CPU is also listed with 16.5 MB L3 cache. No other specs were revealed by Intel.

This means that Intel’s 12-core i9-7920X base frequency will be lower than AMD’s 12-core Threadripper 1920X by 600 MHz. 

Intel-Core-X-series-pricing-July-2017.pn

3lzWxM.jpg

Source: https://videocardz.com/newz/intels-12-core-i9-7920x-features-2-9-ghz-base-clock

The 799$ 12-core TR have a base clock of 3.5Ghz. Knowing how hot and power hungry i9's are these are Intel's only option to put the temperature under control. 

The norms in which determines the measure of morality of a human act are objective to the moral law and subjectively man/woman's conscience

That $1199 price tag is much more interesting IMO. They'll probably boost up to a decent clock, I'd guess around 3.6 - 3.7ghz, will have to come back and check when it's announced xD 

Honestly expected them to charge a lot more for it, nice to see they're finally offering somewhat "decent" pricing on their higher end stuff.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

I agree this would indicate that they are not soldered as some suspected the HCC models would be. However that is base clock. They probably do have a decent boost clock and a high single core boost. Still clocked that low TR does look intimidating.

Yes, but doesn't the other i9 boost 1+ ghz? So effectively with turbo boost it could be running 4.0ghz?

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

This entry does not meet the posting guidelines:

More specifically:

• Your thread must include some original input to tell the reader why it is relevant to them, and what your personal opinion on the topic is.
  • No Tags on the title

A high turbo boost even with the 3.0 new technology 2 cores thingy won't make up for a very low clock base, if the 12 cores already can't keep up with 3ghz for base clocks (last time i had a 2.9ghz base processor was with the Core2Duo E7500 LOL!) then the i9 7980xe will be a joke on what comes to it's frequencies and thanks to the temperature issues you can even delid it  I am guessing 4ghz might out of the question.

We're not there yet for that many cores apparently, due to pricing it is likely you'll be better off with Xeons if you do need or want more than the 10 cores of the i9 7900x..... or obviously a TR.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Going to take a wild stab in the dark and say boost is 3.7GHz

Sounds like a good estimate, I was thinking 3.5 minimum 3.9 max.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

17 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Those frequencies are a huge hit compared to the 10 core 7900X, 400Mhz lower base, saw that coming heh.

Edit:

Fixed misread of info, oops lol

Yeah, these HCC are definitely Xeon based, the 10 core and lower are straight up SkyLake (I dun derped there) versions if the Broadwell ones with the normal layout, these HCC models will not be very well received since Dual Xeons will probably be cheaper and they *probably* will overclock bad, since Xeons are shit overclockers too. 

Edited by Lord Nicoll
Wrote Kaby Lake instead of Skylake

Yours faithfully

Just now, TidaLWaveZ said:

Considering these are basically Xeons and the Xeon has a base/boost of 3/3.7 I'm going with 2.9/3.6-3.7. I edited the post you quoted.

10 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Going to take a wild stab in the dark and say boost is 3.6-3.7GHz

Based on this:

http://ark.intel.com/products/120500/Intel-Xeon-Platinum-8158-Processor-24_75M-Cache-3_00-GHz

6 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Any takers on guessing all core boost? :P Past Xeons all core boost around 500Mhz so I'll go with that.

3 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Considering these are basically Xeons and the Xeon has a base/boost of 3/3.7 I'm going with 2.9/3.6-3.7. I edited the post you quoted.

That and I'd say it's safe to assume it won't surpass the 7900x in regards to boost.

56 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Lol.

So the 18 core variant will be at 2.2Ghz xD?

Well, I don't know if 2.2 or what, but judging by how things were on the server side, a downwards slope in clocks is to be expected as the core count increases. There are issues with clocking more cores higher, and issues with staying within TDP for the platform. Overclocking may lift the second restriction, providing there are sufficiently "overkill" motherboards, and face only the first limitation, but for stock base clocks there will be a stricter limitation.

I mean, did anyone expect 7700K clocks in each of the 18 cores?

56 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Still clocked that low TR does look intimidating.

I'm really intrigued about how thinks will work out for Threadripper. Being 2 dies glued togetherTM, in principle it will have no problem getting each core to 1800X speed, or even OC'ing to the same ~4.0GHz ceiling. However, that will come at roughly linear increase in power draw compared to the consumer chips. Even assuming heat dissipation is not an issue due to the larger surface area, will it cause excessive stress on X399 motherboards? Will we get another der8auer video? :P Or is the energy efficiency high enough that most of the distance can be covered at the rated TDP?

If at the end of the day TR clocks higher at high core counts, we could have an interesting, non-trivial comparison between platforms, potentially with the single-threaded performance gap reverting as the core count increases. That would be would news for channels like LTT, as there would be a lot to discuss and explain...

so for the crude clock X core calculation it is 33 (7900x) vs 34.8 (7920x), a nice 5% improvement for adding 20% more cores.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

4 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

so for the crude clock X core calculation it is 33 (7900x) vs 34.8 (7920x), a nice 5% improvement for adding 20% more cores.

That's nice if considered in a vacuum.

However the same calculation for the cheaper 1950X = 54.4

9 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

That's nice if considered in a vacuum.

However the same calculation for the cheaper 1950X = 54.4

well I wouldn't use this between Archs. but you can for 1920x vs 1950x (40.8 vs 54) (32% for 33% more cores) 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

well I wouldn't use this between Archs. but you can for 1920x vs 1950x (40.8 vs 54) (32% for 33% more cores) 

Either way unless you can overclock the absolute nuts off it its pretty much DOA. For $200 less you get 4 more cores at higher speed and a cooler so you are good to go right out of the box.

Shame that discussion on this topic has near died since it ended up in the wrong forum for no reason :/ 

Thread has been polished up and moved back to news section. @zeraine00 In future more original input should be done, you should also edit the OP and add some more for this one. We expect a bit more than a single line/sentence.