Transplanting a pc, but only the HDD ?

Go to solution Solved by Steve_MW,

Looks like no body is ready to answer my question, so i might as well do the job.

From what i've read, This is not recommended.

If you're getting a complete rig overhaul and decide to keep the old HDD or SSD which has your OS, its better you :-

1. Make windows iso disk (available at microsoft website )

2. Format your drive. 

3. Stick it into your new RIG,

4. Use your product key to activate it.

5. Install all the new drives, restore backup...etc.

Now i'm not saying that it is not going to work if you simply plug in your old hard drive into your new rig, and just install all the new drivers and continue from there, but, this is prone a lot, a loooot of errors and corrupt files. 

Basically, i was on budget and i really needed to update my rig. But after months of reading and "Picking parts" i came to realize that i am pretty much doing a build from scratch. The only thing that was worth taking from the old PC was the HDD (2TB, 7200k RPM). So here is the deal. I have a hard drive in which my windows, drivers, softwares etc. are installed. Would it be possible to install this hard drive onto my new PC ?   

Would the fact that my hard drive has all the old drivers and things installed affect my new computer ?

Or is there any easier method to install my hard drive on to another PC WITHOUT LOOSING WINDOWS?

I don't think you can just move a hard drive from one computer to another and still have windows activated. I think windows is connected to the motherboard or something. There is a way to deactivate windows on one computer to install it on another but that's complicated, you could google it. But, backup your files and install Windows fresh when you do install it. The drivers currently installed only work with the parts from your old computer. After all, they're drivers.  

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

2 minutes ago, DarkEnergy said:

There is a way to deactivate windows on one computer to install it on another but that's complicated,

not complicated at all

On the activate windows screen once you boot into the OS, there's a troubleshoot button. when you hit that, it will ask you if you have recently changed hardware. click yes, and that's it.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

not complicated at all

On the activate windows screen once you boot into the OS, there's a troubleshoot button. when you hit that, it will ask you if you have recently changed hardware. click yes, and that's it.

I'm still used to using the terminal to do it in Windows 7. Windows 10 must be different. 

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

5 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

not complicated at all

So you're saying windows will automatically detect that ?

Oh and also, even the MOBO is different, so i was thinking, would that lead into any complications since i already have windows installed on the HDD ?

1 minute ago, Antony Leung said:

Also you will recycle the case?

By Recycle if you meant that i'm using the same case, then no. I am using another one.

Looks like no body is ready to answer my question, so i might as well do the job.

From what i've read, This is not recommended.

If you're getting a complete rig overhaul and decide to keep the old HDD or SSD which has your OS, its better you :-

1. Make windows iso disk (available at microsoft website )

2. Format your drive. 

3. Stick it into your new RIG,

4. Use your product key to activate it.

5. Install all the new drives, restore backup...etc.

Now i'm not saying that it is not going to work if you simply plug in your old hard drive into your new rig, and just install all the new drivers and continue from there, but, this is prone a lot, a loooot of errors and corrupt files.