Parenting Now Vs Then

BuckGup
11 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Thats because back in the day you didn't have to worry about a rapist stealing your child. There are been several incidents in my community where a child predator was driving around trying to get the attention of children. Thats why people are paranoid. 

Child abductions and rapes have happened for as long as we as society have existed. This is now new.

There are many documented cases of kids getting abducted during the 70's, 80's, 90's, etc. I recently watched a documentary about a girl who was 14 who was abducted by a man, who then forced her to father his children. She wasn't discovered again until she was in her 20's.

The risk was always there - now you just hear about it more easily.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

In short; "The news likes to cover rapes and murders and car accidents more, because when they cover puppies for adoption and changes in key interest rates, people tend to change the channel/switch webpages to someone who WILL cover rapes and murders and car accidents."

Blame the media all you want, the media is only providing what consumers want in an effort to keep the consumers watching and seeing the commercials/ads.

Indeed most media, especially smaller media that don't have huge financial backers, have to "play the game" where they show the bullshit that people want, so that they can sneak actual good journalism in now and then.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Yeah but when crime happens its not always solved. I heard that 40% of all murders in Detroit go unsolved. Not to mention we have had too many gas station robberies as of late, where they will never be able to find the suspect. The world is a much more scary place then it was in my childhood. While crime might be lower, Ive noticed a lot more rape and child molester cases on the news. This is why some parents are the way they are. 

Thats kinda fucked up, I aint going to lie. 

Hey would you go up to a random van asking if you want candy if your parents told you that

I'm sure they say they'll give you iPhones now xD

Smoking weed at the red light like its legal

13 hours ago, BuckGup said:

procreating like rabbits. 

That pull game though. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

6 minutes ago, HunterSkater429 said:

Hey would you go up to a random van asking if you want candy if your parents told you that

I'm sure they say they'll give you iPhones now xD

The youth of today are not very smart. So I would say they would go up to the van. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

12 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Thats because back in the day you didn't have to worry about a rapist stealing your child.

I also wanted to point this out, but if you actually look at criminal statistics, it's actually really uncommon to have a 'Stranger' kidnap and sexually abuse children.  Children are, surprisingly, tricky things for strangers to get their hands on.  Parents tend to know where their children are and sound the alarm once they don't know where they are.  I'm not saying that it DOESN'T happen, it certainly DOES, but the majority of childhood sexual assault cases involve family members, friends of family, teachers, members of religious institutions, that they are a member of, coaches or other people who are basically 'trusted' with access to children.  It's WAY easier to assault or harm a child if someone trusts you to be alone with that child for at least a few hours.  But that doesn't scare people.  People are scared of strangers and the 'unknown' even if trusted individuals are far, far, far more likely to abuse and assault your child.

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

I also wanted to point this out, but if you actually look at criminal statistics, it's actually really uncommon to have a 'Stranger' kidnap and sexually abuse children.  Children are, surprisingly, tricky things for strangers to get their hands on.  Parents tend to know where their children are and sound the alarm once they don't know where they are.  I'm not saying that it DOESN'T happen, it certainly DOES, but the majority of childhood sexual assault cases involve family members, friends of family, teachers, members of religious institutions, that they are a member of, coaches or other people who are basically 'trusted' with access to children.  It's WAY easier to assault or harm a child if someone trusts you to be alone with that child for at least a few hours.  But that doesn't scare people.  People are scared of strangers and the 'unknown' even if trusted individuals are far, far, far more likely to abuse and assault your child.

Did you not read the part about sexual predators driving around our city, trying to pick up kids. NO FUCKING JOKE. When my sister lived in the city her neighbor had an issue with this, they caught what was happening and called the cops.  We have a very small police force, they dont get their in time. So the guy drove off. Because there really isnt no way to stop these fuckers besides putting a bullet in their heads, which is frowned upon by the police. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Did you not read the part about sexual predators driving around our city, trying to pick up kids. NO FUCKING JOKE. When my sister lived in the city her neighbor had an issue with this, they caught what was happening and called the cops.  We have a very small police force, they dont get their in time. So the guy drove off. Because there really isnt no way to stop these fuckers besides putting a bullet in their heads, which is frowned upon by the police. 

I was exceptionally clear that random abductions do happen so I don't know why you are responding as if I said that they don't happen.

Also, to be frank, I have a great deal if difficulty believing that a community has a legitimate 'problem' with random vehicles roaming around with the intention of abducting children to the level of magnitude that you are suggesting and not a single soul, in a world where everyone carries an internet powered, GPS equip, magic camera computer that fits in their pocket, that not a single person was ever able to capture a facial or license plate image.

More over that with such prevalence that it not lead to a borderline uprising during a city hall meeting where the council would have to take action less they be locked in the building as it was set ablaze.  Frankly, you seem to describe the situation the same way someone would describe a rat infestation, just as 'something you gotta deal with' which is weird.

6 hours ago, Donut417 said:

The world is a much more scary place then it was in my childhood. While crime might be lower, Ive noticed a lot more rape and child molester cases on the news.

Yeah, I'm sure you were just as well-informed when you were a kid as you are now.

CPU: Intel i5 3550           | Cooler: Corsair A50          | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77      | Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB   | GPU: GTX 1650                | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)  | PSU: EVGA 650W G2            |

7 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Yeah but when crime happens its not always solved. I heard that 40% of all murders in Detroit go unsolved. Not to mention we have had too many gas station robberies as of late, where they will never be able to find the suspect. The world is a much more scary place then it was in my childhood. While crime might be lower, Ive noticed a lot more rape and child molester cases on the news. This is why some parents are the way they are. 

Thats kinda fucked up, I aint going to lie. 

Thank 24 hour cable news. For example kidnappings less common than years ago, but not every case makes it to the news, and before there was often less fanfare around kidnapping cases. People have always been snatching kids, in fact they used to be more often successful at getting away with it. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

6 hours ago, Donut417 said:

The youth of today are not very smart. So I would say they would go up to the van. 

I think I understand what you're saying but would add some more specifics to differentiate between a few things

Information is different from Intelligence which is different from Wisdom

In our world today, we have a plethora of information available to nearly everyone

Some have the Intelligence to understand the information

Very few have the Wisdom to know what it means and how to use it

So what would say is that Wisdom(smart as you say)

can be taught by those who have it (grandparents and parents mostly)

can be gained by experience followed by contemplation and thought to understand the experience

Wisdom is needed to make wise choices and in our society that is information loaded/Heavily distracted/media agenda biased reporting leaves us with information for all, experience for few and wisdom for even fewer since we can't go more than 5 minutes without a screen in front of our faces or spend time thinking/reading/talking with others about anything meaningful (media consumption does NOT involve major thinking).

IMO: in western society we've mostly replaced wisdom with Entitlement, which is especially well seen in a parenting world where kids get whatever they want at no cost to them, they then grow up and demand that their new parent(the government) implement whatever the popular flavor of the week social policy is and give them everything they want through new laws, regulations and taxes.

241 years ago our founders(in the U.S.) had ability to write the most wisdom infused governmental plan in the history of the world

241 years after that our country's people and government are marching hard towards replacing wisdom and freedom with entitlement and regulation

Soooo... what i'm saying is that lack of Wisdom is a direct product of the societal norms now taking over where we are teaching our kids very little, providing everything, never disciplining, and trusting the government to impart information through teaching programs we don't choose, implemented by people we don't know who have no long term accountability to the well being of our kids and have agendas and values that I very well may not agree with.

Go and spend time with your kids

teach them

love them

share your values

share your experiences

don't give them all the things instead give them your time

because they'll be all the WISER for it

your parents just love you and want you to be safe, stop bitching about it

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock