Should I trust an ebay seller?

Go to solution Solved by AshleyAshes,
1 hour ago, Dark_Horse007 said:

Ebay doesn't?

eBay sellers have their choice of setting their own return policy.  However returns are different from scams.  For example, if they send they were selling something in working order and it arrived DOA, you're falling under ebay's refund policy rather than the sellers return policy and you'll get all your money back.  Same goes if they just outright don't ship you something or send you something entirely different like a fake.

Honestly, I'm confused as to why most people think that shopping on eBay is just like buying drugs from a guy behind a dumpster.  eBay and PayPal's policies are very consumer sided and you can even knowingly walk into a scam and you'll most certainly get your money back.

Really, the only thing you have to watch out for on eBay are OBVIOUS scams.  If things are drastically under priced like a $100 iPhone 7?  Scam.  Counterfeiting can be a problem but that's not really an issue in the realm of buying PC components, it's more like reproduction Coca-Cola merch being sold as if it were vintage and stuff like that.  But if you're getting into eBay for collectibles, or anywhere, you already have to form an eye for reproductions and counterfeits.

I've bought a lot on eBay.  Odds and ends, adapters, motherboards, CPUs, I used eBay to import a pink PC case because it was only available in Europe and Asia, cosplay items, anime figurines, and lots of other stuff.  The biggest trouble I've had was the occasional 'cheap crap from China' gets lost in the mail and they've always issued refunds without question and I once got a Radeon HD 6350 that arrived DOA but the seller was very co-operative.

I am planning to buy a Dell precision 7510 from ebay. Any suggestions?

The eBay seller states, "Condition: New(Never Used) Seller Notes: “Cancelled order and unused...Intel (AT) Anti-theft technology built in...This item comes sealed to us from the Dell factory”.

The seller also states, "Most of our units are overstock returns, it is in as new condition, this system still has to be put through a refurbish process at the Dell facility. It is a certified unit and comes with Dell's 3 year warranty.All items are opened by us and re-checked before resale."

The seller also has eBay score of 245, with 100% positive feedback with feedback from 24 members.

Should I trust the seller?

You're paying with PayPal anyway, even if they DO scam you and send you a box full of rocks, you get your money back.

Check their feedback and also if you pay with PayPal you get a money back guarantee. Regardless, eBay is a buyer oriented site because any claim against a smaller seller basically takes them off the map.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Check their feedback, but Ebay and paypal usually side with buyers anyway. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Yes check their feedback and how many sales they got and %

Thank you, everyone. As mentioned, the seller has 24 positive feedback and no negative feedback. The feedbacks received by him as a seller are good in general. It is true that PayPal is buyer friendly, I do not wish to be in trouble, in the case that a problem arises. Me being an international buyer, returning the item will be costly as well. What do you suggest?

5 minutes ago, Dark_Horse007 said:

Thank you, everyone. As mentioned, the seller has 24 positive feedback and no negative feedback. The feedbacks received by him as a seller are good in general. It is true that PayPal is buyer friendly, I do not wish to be in trouble, in the case that a problem arises. Me being an international buyer, returning the item will be costly as well. What do you suggest?

you can buy a cpu from someone on ebay and send back a bag of turds and ebay would fight for the buyer till the seller turns blue in the face . your better of getting stuck by lightning then having ebay side with a seller right from the start of a issue . if the seller has what he says then its safe as long as you pay with paypal

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

You mean to say, if there is a contingency, the seller is supposed to pay me the cost of return as well. Interesting! Thanks! I feel secured now!

1 hour ago, Dark_Horse007 said:

Ebay doesn't?

eBay sellers have their choice of setting their own return policy.  However returns are different from scams.  For example, if they send they were selling something in working order and it arrived DOA, you're falling under ebay's refund policy rather than the sellers return policy and you'll get all your money back.  Same goes if they just outright don't ship you something or send you something entirely different like a fake.

Honestly, I'm confused as to why most people think that shopping on eBay is just like buying drugs from a guy behind a dumpster.  eBay and PayPal's policies are very consumer sided and you can even knowingly walk into a scam and you'll most certainly get your money back.

Really, the only thing you have to watch out for on eBay are OBVIOUS scams.  If things are drastically under priced like a $100 iPhone 7?  Scam.  Counterfeiting can be a problem but that's not really an issue in the realm of buying PC components, it's more like reproduction Coca-Cola merch being sold as if it were vintage and stuff like that.  But if you're getting into eBay for collectibles, or anywhere, you already have to form an eye for reproductions and counterfeits.

I've bought a lot on eBay.  Odds and ends, adapters, motherboards, CPUs, I used eBay to import a pink PC case because it was only available in Europe and Asia, cosplay items, anime figurines, and lots of other stuff.  The biggest trouble I've had was the occasional 'cheap crap from China' gets lost in the mail and they've always issued refunds without question and I once got a Radeon HD 6350 that arrived DOA but the seller was very co-operative.

Back in April, I bought a HP Elitebook on Ebay. 

Outside of a small issue with how the CPU and the model number of the computer was listed (they had it listed at two separate models with two different CPUs), my purchase went smoothly (the store that I bought the computer from offered to do a return on it, but I got the model I wanted, so I stuck with it).

The computer has been running fantastically since I bought it.

When it comes to eBay, just be smart. Look at reviews and trust your gut. If something doesn't look right, don't purchase it. I've bought a lot of stuff off of eBay and I've never had any issues.