MG24UQ-Monitor review/impressions

mapegl

So I recently decided that I needed a smaller display. Weird decision right? Well yeah, but I needed more portability so 24" was the size I was aiming for. 

I was considering the MG248Q, because of the 144hz, but TN is a big turn off for me nowadays.

Well long story short: I bought an MG24UQ for 250EUR refurbished from a dealer on eBay, so with warranty. 

First impressions:

The matt plastic feels nice and sturdy. No ugly gloss and bright colors, only a slightly red gamery ring on the base....but very subtle. Panel is also matt. 

Turning it on is also a breeze since you can choose hdmi or dp on this monitor for 4k. Nice touch. And then the picture quality. I can't make out any noticeable backlight bleed or other unwanted lighting problems or color issues. The picture is very sharp...obviously. 

Gaming is a breeze at 4k, when my 480 can output enough frames. If it can't I just switch to 1080p which is a good res at 24" and since one pixel is displayed on 4 dots on the display, there is no weird blurry effects. 

I also like that assembly and disassembly is quick and easy and  the portability aspect is thus greatly improved. 

So it sound like this is the perfect display....well for me it is great.  I didn't expect to like it this much coming from a 29" ultrawide. 

But I don't have 75hz anymore..... bummer....but that is the cost of a 4k display.  I don't notice it too much though, so that's fine. 

I really can't think of much else that is sort of negative.  The resolution is hard to drive, but that's not a problem of the monitor and I expect to keep this monitor for a few years and knowing myself a better gpu will come around. 

Oh and I almost forgot the functionality of the stand. It is amazing. Tilt, swivel, rotation, lifting it up and pulling it down is all possible. What else is there to ask for? I have put my monitor arm away, because I don't want to mount and unmount the display every few weeks for a meet.

I hope this was at least a little bit interesting for you guys. If there are any questions, just ask.

I just thought impressions like these can be helpful when trying to decide what to get for yourself. Personally I had some trouble finding user experiences that describe the usage of the monitor I bought. 

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)