Power on PC when supply from wall detected? Bodge/hack/tinker

Go to solution Solved by jeffmeyer5295,

I'm not at all familiar with the item you are talking about, but I do know there is a setting in bios to turn on when it detects power(or if it loses power then finds it again), I have this on my server machines and it works well.

So I've recently got myself an Amazon Alexa and have noticed there's some wall plugs you can get with WiFi connectivity that can interact with her. 

I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a way I could set my desktop such that if I was to use one of these plugs, I could get my computer to boot when it detected current from the wall - i.e I tell the wall plug to start allowing power to the system?

Any guides/thoughts/comments telling me I'm a lazy shit and should just use the power button on the front are all welcome. I just really like the idea of being able to walk in through the door, tell Alexa to power on my desktop, go get a drink and then get to my already booted PC. It's either that or I use it to turn on my kettle - except for the fact that I'm a shit Brit and I don't really drink tea.

Also, I don't really post on the forums too much so if there's somewhere better to x-post this too let me know.

I'm not at all familiar with the item you are talking about, but I do know there is a setting in bios to turn on when it detects power(or if it loses power then finds it again), I have this on my server machines and it works well.

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Maybe a bios setting called "Power on after AC loss"

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

This is an example of the item I'm on about

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01I3ZCBFK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you know if this setting works after the system has been shut down properly then turned off at the wall, then was to receive power, or does it only work in the event of an unexpected shut down?

6 minutes ago, Daley said:

This is an example of the item I'm on about

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01I3ZCBFK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you know if this setting works after the system has been shut down properly then turned off at the wall, then was to receive power, or does it only work in the event of an unexpected shut down?

you could probably get alexa to just use wake on lan and get alexa to send a magic packet 

18 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

you could probably get alexa to just use wake on lan and get alexa to send a magic packet 

Thanks for the advice, I'll remember that for next time but the other solution that the other guys mentioned works perfectly, and it allows me to have my monitor/speakers set up as I want them as well without being on standby (get a low buzzing from them if I don't turn off)  

41 minutes ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

This works flawlessly and allows me to have all my peripherals/speakers etc set up as I want them as well, thanks!

11 hours ago, Alaradia said:

No.  I've thought about this and, without something on the local LAN, there's no way to do this.

Alexa sends the voice capture to Amazons server's for recognition and then the action takes place in the cloud.  If you turn on (for example) a Philips Hue bulb, Amazon tells the Philips backend to switch it on and it talks to your hub.  You'd need something like a raspberry pi on the local LAN with some sort of internet accessible API and then a custom Alexa skill to invoke it.

4 hours ago, Undergrid said:

No.  I've thought about this and, without something on the local LAN, there's no way to do this.

Alexa sends the voice capture to Amazons server's for recognition and then the action takes place in the cloud.  If you turn on (for example) a Philips Hue bulb, Amazon tells the Philips backend to switch it on and it talks to your hub.  You'd need something like a raspberry pi on the local LAN with some sort of internet accessible API and then a custom Alexa skill to invoke it.

I've gotten this working with the Google pixel but it was an absolute pain in the ASS XD.

15 hours ago, Daley said:

This works flawlessly and allows me to have all my peripherals/speakers etc set up as I want them as well, thanks!

Np man.

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.