Is the paper clip trick dangerous?

Murilo_A

I have an old pc and a router that apparently is overheating, I have a fan lying around, so I did the paper click trick, so that the fan powers on, without having to power up the pc, when I was searching the correct pins to do this, I found a guy saying that this could be dangerous and kill the psu, I've seen Linus do it some times and other people as well, but I've never seen anyone saying that this can kill your psu. Can the masters of PSU's help me here? =P @Energycore @STRMfrmXMN

everything can kill your psu given enough time but it wont kill it any faster most 3d printers use this method to power the 3d printers its fine

If you short the wrong pins then yeah, so just be careful.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I just use my tongue.

Note: I'm kidding!

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

I just use my tongue.

I'd get bored pretty fast staying all day with my tongue on a PSU connector 

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

If you short the wrong pins then yeah, so just be careful.

Green one and black one, already did it, still working fine

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The PSU should not be providing power while it's off on any other pin except the +5V_SB line.

Fan is +12V so yeah, it needs to be on

4 minutes ago, Murilo_A said:

Fan is +12V so yeah, it needs to be on

The fan shouldn't be on when the PSU is in standby.

I'm also talking about the 24 pin connector. There should be no power going out of it other than from the +5V_SB when the PSU is in standby. (EDIT: That may not be true though)

not really, there isnt much current flow through the clip and unless you short the wrong ones it should be just like normal operation

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

The fan shouldn't be on when the PSU is in standby.

I'm also talking about the 24 pin connector. There should be no power going out of it other than from the +5V_SB when the PSU is in standby.

But it's not standby, it's on

4 minutes ago, Murilo_A said:

But it's not standby, it's on

So are you asking if it's dangerous to do the paper clip trick period, or when it's on? Because all the paperclip is doing is functionally acting like the power button on your computer when pressed.

Which in either case, no, it's not dangerous as long as the paper clip is not touching any other pins.

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

So are you asking if it's dangerous to do the paper clip trick period, or when it's on? Because all the paperclip is doing is functionally acting like the power button on your computer when pressed.

Which in either case, no, it's not dangerous as long as the paper clip is not touching any other pins.

I didn't understand what do you really mean with that, what the paper clip trick does is turn the psu on without turning the motherboard on, it's not standby

10 minutes ago, Murilo_A said:

I didn't understand what do you really mean with that, what the paper clip trick does is turn the psu on without turning the motherboard on, it's not standby

Again.

A PSU has three operating modes:

• When the physical switch in the back is turned off or there is no power cable connected to it, the PSU is OFF. This means it is not receiving electricity period.
  • When the physical switch is on and the power cable is connected to it, the PSU is in STANDBY. This means parts of the PSU are receiving electricity but it is not actively converting AC power to the 12VDC power the computer wants. It is waiting for a signal to begin that process.
    • The only exception is the +5V_SB line, which is there to keep some parts of the motherboard powered on when the system power state is S5 to allow for things like boot on Ethernet.
  • When the physical switch is on, the power cable is connected to it, and the PS_ON_N pin is shorted to ground, the PSU goes to ON. This means the PSU is actively converting AC power into the 12VDC power (and 5V, 3.3V and others) that the computer wants. Shorting the PS_ON_N pin to ground is normally done by the physical switch on the case if the 24-pin connector on the PSU is connected to the motherboard and the switch is connected to the front panel header.

If the 24-pin connector is hooked up to the motherboard and the PSU goes to the ON state, it will power up the motherboard and the rest of the system assuming nothing is wrong with it.

However, this is derailing from the question, which I answered in my previous posts. But if I need to repeat myself: The paperclip trick is functionally the same as using the power button on your computer.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Again.

A PSU has three operating mods:

• When the physical switch in the back is turned off or there is no power cable connected to it, the PSU is OFF. This means it is not receiving electricity period.
  • When the physical switch is on and the power cable is connected to it, the PSU is in STANDBY. This means parts of the PSU are receiving electricity but it is not actively converting AC power to the 12VDC power the computer wants. It is waiting for a signal to begin that process.
    • The only exception is the +5V_SB line, which is there to keep some parts of the motherboard powered on when the system power state is S5 to allow for things like boot on Ethernet.
  • When the physical switch is on, the power cable is connected to it, and the PS_ON_N pin is shorted to ground, the PSU goes to ON. This means the PSU is actively converting AC power into the 12VDC power (and 5V, 3.3V and others) that the computer wants. Shorting the PS_ON_N pin to ground is normally done by the physical switch on the case if the 24-pin connector on the PSU is connected to the motherboard and the switch is connected to the front panel header.

If the 24-pin connector is hooked up to the motherboard and the PSU goes to the ON state, it will power up the motherboard and the rest of the system assuming nothing is wrong with it.

However, this is derailing from the question, which I answered in my previous posts. But if I need to repeat myself: The paperclip trick is functionally the same as using the power button on your computer.

I understand that, but u asked me if I wanted to know was if it was dangerous to do the paper clip trick or if it was dangerous with it on, which, as you also said in this last post, is basically the same thing.

1 minute ago, Murilo_A said:

I understand that, but u asked me if I wanted to know was if it was dangerous to do the paper clip trick or if it was dangerous with it on, which, as you also said in this last post, is basically the same thing.

20 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I answered your question in that post too to cover every freakin' case.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

I answered your question in that post too to cover every freakin' case.

I'm sorry, I probably misunderstood smth u said and caused all of this =P

1 hour ago, Murilo_A said:

I have an old pc and a router that apparently is overheating, I have a fan lying around, so I did the paper click trick, so that the fan powers on, without having to power up the pc, when I was searching the correct pins to do this, I found a guy saying that this could be dangerous and kill the psu, I've seen Linus do it some times and other people as well, but I've never seen anyone saying that this can kill your psu. Can the masters of PSU's help me here? =P @Energycore @STRMfrmXMN

Not really.

If you put the paper clip on the wrong pins you could short it, but good PSUs have SCP

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

The only wire that is going to be live before the paper clip is inserted is the +5VSB.  And if you somehow accidentally stuck the paper clip in the +5VSB and any other pin, the PSU should latch off because of SCP.  If it doesn't latch off and the PSU dies, it was a piece of crap to begin with and good riddance. :D

1 hour ago, Energycore said:

Not really.

If you put the paper clip on the wrong pins you could short it, but good PSUs have SCP

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

The only wire that is going to be live before the paper clip is inserted is the +5VSB.  And if you somehow accidentally stuck the paper clip in the +5VSB and any other pin, the PSU should latch off because of SCP.  If it doesn't latch off and the PSU dies, it was a piece of crap to begin with and good riddance. :D

The PSU is probably a piece of crap and probably doesnt has SCP