Which console is the best and cheapest Bluray player?

IAmAndre

Hi,

I'm looking for a cheap way to play Blurays in 1080p on my TV. I'm a PC gamer and I'd like to be able to play games I haven't been able to in the past few years, mostly console exclusives. Would the Wii or the PS3 be a good option? Are they still releasing games on these platforms?

Thanks

ps3 isn't getting any new games but are cheap and play blurays fine. a used ps4 or xbox 1 would give you a more current game library 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

ps3 i see them being sold for $50-$100 on facebook 

Smoking weed at the red light like its legal

3 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

ps3 isn't getting any new games but are cheap and play blurays fine. 

I'm fine with that. I would like to play games like Uncharted or Army of Two, or even the Tekken/MGS series. What about power consumption?

3 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Get a used XBOX(the first one not the S)

If I remember well, the first one wasn't power efficient at all, and that's too much power wasted for just playing a movie. The polar bears would be mad.

Just now, IAmAndre said:

I'm fine with that. I would like to play games like Uncharted or Army of Two, or even the Tekken/MGS series.

If I remember well, the first one wasn't power efficient at all, and that's too much power wasted for just playing a movie. The polar bears would be mad.

In terms of power efficency It is a better choice than the PS3.It was just loud and had a external PSU

My life

14 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

only uses 79watt 

This video is about the One S, isn't it?

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

yes

596d65b9ca4a5_ScreenShot2017-07-17at7_34_37PM.png.fcac35cb823028be92f57d1d3c3890af.png

OK we were talking about the original Xbox One but I get your point.

PS3 are pretty overpriced right now IMO. The lowest non-refurbished Slim I see at Gamestop is $130 right now and the 160GB fat is $100 (I paid $40 for mine at Gamestop back in January). Stay away from the 20GB and 60GB PS3 fat at all cost. Those things use cpu and gpu with 90 nm lithography and consume power like a motherfucker. And thus generate a lot of heat and die prematurely at much higher rate than any other model of PS3. The 160GB fat uses 65 nm lithography which brings the power consumption down pretty significantly. I forgot what exactly, but I think it was down from 200W on the 90 nm ones to around 120-130W on the 65 nm ones. Then the Slim and Super Slim are around 100W or so if I remember correctly, as they both use 45 nm lithography. But the Super Slim has a garbage door for the blu-ray drive and you seem to see a lot with problems with their lasers. Plus the build quality on the Super Slim is crap. The Slim and the Fat both have nice slot loaders so you're never exposing the internals of the drive to the elements with them like you do with the crap Super Slim.

If there are a lot of PS3 exclusives you want to play then it's worth buying the system, because the Playstation Store puts PS3 games on really good sales a lot of the time. You'll find most of the best PS3 exclusives for $5 or less at various times, and even the expensive games like Demon's Souls can be found for $10 sometimes in the Playstation Store sales. I just bought eight games from the God of War, Infamous, and Ratchet & Clank series for $25 total in the Playstation Store's Midyear Sale a couple of weeks ago.

Don't get a Wii. It doesn't have a blu-ray drive.

Also the PS3 is awesome for video streaming. Eg if you have a bunch of movies or TV shows on your computer you can install PLEX and stream to the PS3. You can do it on PS4 too (and surely XBox One also), but there you have to download the PLEX app which sucks on PS4, while PS3 you can just do it natively from the main interface (eg the XMB).

26 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Interesting. I'll go Sony then. I'm even considering getting a PS4 since these oldies are also available on this platform, right? That would be just for playing FIFA on top of that.

Just now, IAmAndre said:

Interesting. I'll go Sony then. I'm even considering getting a PS4 since these oldies are also available on this platform, right? That would be just for playing FIFA on top of that.

There are a few PS3 remasters on PS4, but the PS4 isn't backwards compatible like the XBox One.

Id recommend just buying a Blu-Ray Player and a Wii if you like Nintendo. If Nintendo is not something you need than I recommend the PS3 Although I don't think that games are releasing on it anymore. I really think you should save up and get a Next Generation console to really get the distance out of this purchase.:)

• 2 weeks later...

I think I finally found the best option : the Sony BDPS3700 Bluray player. It's currently available used/refurbished under $50, and as far as I can see it's a pretty good deal combined with PlayStation Now. At $100/year, you can stream PS3 and a few PS4 games. Having a "console" at $50 is a good deal.

7 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

I think I finally found the best option : the Sony BDPS3700 Bluray player. It's currently available used/refurbished under $50, and as far as I can see it's a pretty good deal combined with PlayStation Now. At $100/year, you can stream PS3 and a few PS4 games. Having a "console" at $50 is a good deal.

Just so you know what you're getting into, the PSNow game streaming service is going to be far inferior to an actual local console. You'll have worse graphics, and higher input lag.

Will it be playable? Perhaps - that's often up to personal preference and how much you can stand input lag. But it won't be a "great" experience.

I'd look at refurbished PS3's before I looked at this.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 7/17/2017 at 6:27 PM, IAmAndre said:

Consoles can't really play Blu-Ray without soaking up as much power than a desktop. So if this is a concern, a standalone player would be better.

2 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Consoles can't really play Blu-Ray without soaking up as much power than a desktop. So if this is a concern, a standalone player would be better.

Exactly, especially the PS3 which has a 11-year old CPU architecture.

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Just so you know what you're getting into, the PSNow game streaming service is going to be far inferior to an actual local console. You'll have worse graphics, and higher input lag.

Will it be playable? Perhaps - that's often up to personal preference and how much you can stand input lag. But it won't be a "great" experience.

I'd look at refurbished PS3's before I looked at this.

I just want to play a few games like Red Dead Redemption and the Uncharted/Last of us series. I've read reviews and the general idea seems to be that input lag is an issue, and that it has more to do with the service itself rather than the hardware, but it seems to be fine for games other than FPS and other genres which require a very low latency. Also, the main purpose would be watching Blurays, so the gaming side is more of a bonus allowing me to play games on my convertible when I'm travelling and in the living room.

2 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

I just want to play a few games like Red Dead Redemption and the Uncharted/Last of us series. I've read reviews and the general idea seems to be that input lag is an issue, and that it has more to do with the service itself rather than the hardware, but it seems to be fine for games other than FPS and other genres which require a very low latency. Also, the main purpose would be watching Blurays, so the gaming side is more of a bonus allowing me to play games on my convertible when I'm travelling and in the living room.

It's so cheap just to buy the actual games. Right now Gamestop has a buy 4 for $10 promotion on used games for $4.99 or less, and you could use that promotion to buy all three Uncharted games on PS3 plus the PS3 version of The Last of Us for $10 total. They sell Red Dead Redemption for $10 used right now, but if you have any local flea markets or swap meets where people sell used shit I bet you can get it for $5. Because I bought Red Dead Redemption for $5 last year for 360 at a local flea market. Then when I disconnected my 360 from my TV I figured I'd look for it for PS3 because I loved the game so much and I always have my PS3 hooked up, and got that for $5 also from the same place. Then last week I found the Undead Nightmare standalone for $5 for PS3 from the same place, and picked it up.

I imagine beating Uncharted 1-3 plus The Last of Us plus Red Dead Redemption would take you a minimum of two months, so that's $40 in Playstation Now fees. Or you could just buy the five games tomorrow for $20 total. It's only $20 saved, but you own the games and can go back to them at any time (and Uncharted 2 & 3, TLOU, and RDR are games highly worth going back to). And you can't underestimate how many really good games PS3 has that can't be played natively on PC. Stuff like:

Open World Games

Red Dead Redemption

Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare

inFAMOUS 1 & 2

Action Games

The Last of Us

Uncharted 1-3

Shadow of the Colossus

God of War HD Collection (GOW 1 + 2)

God of War Origins Collection (Remasters of the two PSP games)

God of War III

God of War Ascension

Ninja Gaiden Sigma

Heavenly Sword

FPS

Resistance 1-3

Killzone 2 & 3

2D Beat-Em Ups

Dragon's Crown

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir

RPGS

Persona 5

Demon's Souls

Ni No Kuni

Okami

Catherine

Platformers

Ratchet & Clank Collection (3 games)

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

Ratchet & Clank Future: A Clank in Time

Jak and Daxter Collection (3 games)

Stealth Games

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

Metal Gear Solid 4

Cool Indy Games

Journey

The Unfinished Swan

The Puppeteer

LittleBigPlanet 1 & 2

fLOw

Flower

I mean these are all some seriously good games and only Persona 5, Dragon's Crown, and Odin Sphere can't be found for $10 or less if you're patient and shop around at Gamestop, the Playstation Store, and the local used market. Persona 5 and Odin Sphere are still expensive since they came out in the last year or two. P5 is about $40 and Odin Sphere about $25. Dragon's Crown is a few years old and I don't know why it has held its value so well, but you can find it for $15 on the PS Store sometimes.

I only know a couple of people who have tried PS Now, but they both told me it was terrible. Lots of lag and you could see the video being digitized.

I would grab a used PS4 and a 2nd hand copy of The Last of Us remastered and The Uncharted Collection remastered if i was on a budget. 

7 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

It's so cheap just to buy the actual games. Right now Gamestop has a buy 4 for $10 promotion on used games for $4.99 or less, and you could use that promotion to buy all three Uncharted games on PS3 plus the PS3 version of The Last of Us for $10 total. They sell Red Dead Redemption for $10 used right now, but if you have any local flea markets or swap meets where people sell used shit I bet you can get it for $5. Because I bought Red Dead Redemption for $5 last year for 360 at a local flea market. Then when I disconnected my 360 from my TV I figured I'd look for it for PS3 because I loved the game so much and I always have my PS3 hooked up, and got that for $5 also from the same place. Then last week I found the Undead Nightmare standalone for $5 for PS3 from the same place, and picked it up.

That's very informative, which makes the dilemma even harder when you take a look at the power consumption of the PS3 Slim:

18mm01ncmr36ejpg.jpg

Since the main purpose is to play movies and use streaming services, I think I'll just get the Bluray and wait until PS Now gets better.