How much heat is dissipated from the computer?

phongle123
Go to solution Solved by CyberneticTitan,

Buy a Kill-A-Watt. Measure the wattage that your PSU draws. Take maybe 90% of that value. That is a fair approximation of the amount of heat being dissipated. 

Justification:

- No electrical energy is being supplied back into the wall

- Fans and drives have moving parts, which generate some movement in the air around them (conversions to kinetic energy)

- Moving parts also create sound

- Increased electromagnetic radiation due to increased temperatures (however only slightly, except for the processors)

Kill-A-Watt reading on a Ryzen build: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/my-non-exacting-ryzen-power-consumption-numbers.2502431/

I am looking at uping to Ryzen 7 and as of current my Computer makes my room temp go up quite a few noticeable degrees running at a theoretical max according to a calculator website of 593W.

Ryzen 1700 and 1800x are just about the same when 1700 is OC'd to 4.0Ghz. But according to this chart, the 1800X which is stock 4.0Ghz loads at 156 Watts while 1700 OC'd to 4.0Ghz loads at 221 Watts while giving the same performance.

So basically the difference is about $130ish between the 2 and about 70 Watts.

How much watt is actually dissipated into the room?

On usage, the CPU would be anywhere around 50-70% usage and the GPU fluctuating between the normal 40%-100% usage while gaming. So it won't be using the 593W above.

If I were to consider a Window A/C Unit. Would I have to take into account not just the SqFt of the room but as well as the amount of heat dissipated by the electronics in the room?

power-3.png.24b5b8a4a6fa59e50a078d1f0520d9bb.png

Well , it totally depends on the voltage used . Granted , the 1800x should reach a given speed with less voltage due to binning , but there is probably some overlap .

It's still worth considering that 4ghz is hardly optimal in terms of power and heat on those chips . You're generally at the end of the efficiency curve , with low power going down the drain . However , if you're willing to go with a slightly lower clocks , it might not be an issue for you . For example , my 1700 is capable of reaching 4ghz at ~1.5V ( which i can cool with my aio ) , however , if i back down to 3.8ghz , i find i only need ~1.3V. As a result , power consumption is way down , but there's only a small difference in speed ( not noticeble in normal tasks ) .Point is , if you're willing to sacrifice a few mhz , you can easily keep power under control on a 1700 , without needing to consider a window AC unit . 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

9 minutes ago, phongle123 said:

If I were to consider a Window A/C Unit. Would I have to take into account not just the SqFt of the room but as well as the amount of heat dissipated by the electronics in the room?

Not really I think, since heat would also soak in trough them walls from the outside.

The heat output difference between the 1700 and 1800x is due to how well they function, and at which voltages they run. According to Gamers Nexus, both CPU's are "the same", where they have been binned for how well they work/heat output. So a 1800x which barely made it, could be running hotter then an very good 1700... Is the theory.

If you are considering a window mounted AC unit, why not create some nice tubes (you can make this actually look really nice), and blow off all the heated air to the outside/another room. Or watercool, with isolated tubes in your room, to an outside radiator. Lots of options.

Buy a Kill-A-Watt. Measure the wattage that your PSU draws. Take maybe 90% of that value. That is a fair approximation of the amount of heat being dissipated. 

Justification:

- No electrical energy is being supplied back into the wall

- Fans and drives have moving parts, which generate some movement in the air around them (conversions to kinetic energy)

- Moving parts also create sound

- Increased electromagnetic radiation due to increased temperatures (however only slightly, except for the processors)

Kill-A-Watt reading on a Ryzen build: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/my-non-exacting-ryzen-power-consumption-numbers.2502431/

I have an i7 4790K and a GTX 970 and my room get around 27 to 28 degrees, not exactly comfortable. I would definitely look into some way of getting the heat out of your room entirely if that is something you're concerned about. If you're up for it, something like @Dutch-stoner mentioned with a radiator in another room would be ideal. 

3 hours ago, CyberneticTitan said:

32 minutes ago, Gravesnear said:

Almost all the watts used are converted to heat. ie a computer consuming 500 watts ≈ a heater using 500 watts.

This is what I wanted to know. So I'll just OPT for the 1800x where I don't have to OC. Thank you guys.

I prefer to less scientific way and just use an anemometer on the exhaust. Currently at light load the air coming out is 26C,  So in lazy mans terms, that like setting my heat to 26C and leaving it on.

Those pc calc things are a little od thou, the seasonic psu calc puts my system at 690watts total load, My killowat meter puts the power draw for everything in my study at 450watt full load.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige