how to choose a mountain bike? like a good, solid mountain bike?

Legolessed
Just now, MathiasVN said:

Sponsored :3

Awesome! I'm assuming you're a bit better or a rider than me... 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

Awesome! I'm assuming you're a bit better or a rider than me... 

Ahaha, well I prob wasted a lot more time on the trails.

I bet if you rode for 11 years mostly non-stop you would be very good too!

Q: How many prolog programmers does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: Yes.

Just now, Zando Bob said:

Same here in the US. And they have quill stems (they come out if you pull up too hard on the handlebars, which isn't good), the wheels can bend really easy, and they're uncomfortable to ride. 

theres a video on youtube. a guy takes a chinese bike offroad and he documents it falling apart on him. found it 

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

theres a video on youtube. a guy takes a chinese bike offroad and he documents it falling apart on him. found it 

Yup that's the one I was thinking of. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

10 minutes ago, MathiasVN said:

Ahaha, well I prob wasted a lot more time on the trails.

I bet if you rode for 11 years mostly non-stop you would be very good too!

True. Though computers and games and my naturall laziness has gotten to me.... This is making me want to get riding again though!

Main PC 

True. Though computers and games and my naturall laziness has gotten to me.... This is making me want to get riding again though!

Ahahaha, when someone new arrives on our team they always get confused bc I always carry around my PC and I code whenever there is time.

1 minute ago, MathiasVN said:

Ahahaha, when someone new arrives on our team they always get confused bc I always carry around my PC and I code whenever there is time.

So you're using a true bicycle computer.

Main PC 

So you're using a true bicycle computer.

Ahahah omg, 10/10

one thing. im not looking for a super fancy bike with a ton of stuff and features. I have a completely rigid frame so going to anything better would be awesome. wouldnt a k2 attack 3 still be good compared to my rigid bike? bikes arent really like computers. A cpu from 2000 would be absolute trash nowadays vs a bike from 2000 could still be amazing as long as you arent expecting carbon fiber frames and shocks that will blow you away.

@MathiasVN @Zando Bob @SCHISCHKA 

8 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

on thing. im not looking for a super fancy bike with a ton of stuff and features. I have a completely rigid frame so going to anything better would be awesome. wouldnt a k2 attack 3 still be good compared to my rigid bike? bikes arent really like computers. A cpu from 2000 would be absolute trash nowadays vs a bike from 2000 could still be amazing as long as you arent expecting carbon fiber frames and shocks that will blow you away.

Main thing is a bike from 2000 will have a bad habit of launching you over the handlebars when you brake to hard on a downhill. The stems are generally too long, the head (front fort) angle is really steep, and the top tube is too short to fit a small stem. I'd look for a Vitus Nucleus 275. It's the bike I have, and strikes a really good balance between climbing and descending, and comes stock with a short stem and wide bars (they give you more control over your steering). Or try and find a good deal on a Vitus Sentier (they're around $800 new, but have a great frame and hydraulic brakes and a solid drivetrain). Also check out Ragley hardtails. You can find all the ones I just mentioned on ChainReactionCycles website (it's like Amazon for bikes). 

And do do you have a link to the K2 you're looking at? It seems like a really nice older bike, I just wanna see what condition it's in and what components it has. 

Main PC 

17 hours ago, lilbman said:

Jesus that's a lot for a bike

He's sponsored, which means he's put in the hard work and devotion to deserve such a bike. Generally, the best bikes are around $2.5-$3K, and decent ones are $1.5K. 

EDIT: Decent is more like "good", great even, if it's a hardtail. 

Main PC 

7 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Main thing is a bike from 2000 will have a bad habit of launching you over the handlebars when you brake to hard on a downhill. The stems are generally too long, the head (front fort) angle is really steep, and the top tube is too short to fit a small stem. I'd look for a Vitus Nucleus 275. It's the bike I have, and strikes a really good balance between climbing and descending, and comes stock with a short stem and wide bars (they give you more control over your steering). Or try and find a good deal on a Vitus Sentier (they're around $800 new, but have a great frame and hydraulic brakes and a solid drivetrain). Also check out Raglet hardtails. You can find all the ones I just mentioned on ChainReactionCycles website (it's like Amazon for bikes). 

the k2 attack 3 is from 2002 and it has the same frame shape as my brothers hard tail bike, which i rode on a trail and didnt launch me forward at all. I know about frames that throw you off the front, thats my dads bike. jus is the k2 attack 3 a good bike for $200 and will it be better than my rigid bike?

4 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

the k2 attack 3 is from 2002 and it has the same frame shape as my brothers hard tail bike, which i rode on a trail and didnt launch me forward at all. I know about frames that throw you off the front, thats my dads bike. jus is the k2 attack 3 a good bike for $200 and will it be better than my rigid bike?

For $200, it should be good. I need a link though, or a pic, since I want to see what shap it's in, and what drivetrain, brakes, and suspension it has. If it's an old coil fork, it may not be much better. If it's a beat up air fork, you'll need it serviced, and that's decently expensive. 

If if I don't respond right away, it's cause I'm heading off to bed. 

Main PC 

6 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

For $200, it should be good. I need a link though, or a pic, since I want to see what shap it's in, and what drivetrain, brakes, and suspension it has. If it's an old coil fork, it may not be much better. If it's a beat up air fork, you'll need it serviced, and that's decently expensive. 

If if I don't respond right away, it's cause I'm heading off to bed. 

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/bik/d/ready-to-ride/6221580064.html

its this but the price is different than listed

Check the used market. I got a Trek Marlin 5 back in 2015 for $450, and it's been a fantastic bike.

2 minutes ago, linkboy said:

Check the used market. I got a Trek Marlin 5 back in 2015 for $450, and it's been a fantastic bike.

ya looks like it. do you know if the k2 attack 3 is a good bike?

6 hours ago, Legolessed said:

Recently i have gotten very into the mountain biking realm. I just have a rigid bike that i used to get from place to place and i have been using that same bike for everything. I started on smaller runs it it felt fine but when i took a trip up to shweitzer mountain in idaho and rode, it hurt and i felt like i didnt have a lot of control. I did quite a few of the runs but just every little thing in the trail i felt and the fork on my bike is definitly too far forward. Sot aht leads me to the question, i want a new mountain bike, but i have no idea what to get. I dont want to spend over $500 so the new market is mostly off limits. I have found full suspension bikes ranging all over the place and knoe there has to be a difference, but i honestly dont know what to look for. 

I found the genesis bike at walmart for $149 and that is the cheapest bike i have seen with full suspension but it must be crap because its cheaper than most rigid bikes. Ive also seen a mongoose gsx 9, and a k2 attack 3 for around $200. These all have full suspension but again they must be crap for the price xD. I have also found listings like this where they seem really good but they also seem way to good to be true. any suggestions?

#1 and most importantly - Do Not Buy A Bicycle From A Department Store, Like Walmart.

#2 and important - If you buy new, any respectable bike shop (real brick and mortar) will have good quality bicycles.

#3 is if you cant afford a brand new bicycle, then you buy a used brand name bicycle off of Kijiji, Craigslist or Pinkbike..... or any fleamarket, pawnshop etc etc.

Brands like Rocky Mountain, Specialized etc etc etc are good quality bicycles.

Stay away from bicycle shaped objects like Huffy, Next and the like

Again I will repeat - Stay Away From Walmart, Their only goal is to sell, in mass, cheap bikes that dont last long.

Look for good quality components, like Shimano and SRAM.

If the bicycle has plastic brake levers, its no good.

One 1/2 step up from cheap ass BSO aka Bicycle Shaped Objects are bicycles from places like Bikes Direct and the like.

16 minutes ago, yathis said:

#1 and most importantly - Do Not Buy A Bicycle From A Department Store, Like Walmart.

#2 and important - If you buy new, any respectable bike shop (real brick and mortar) will have good quality bicycles.

#3 is if you cant afford a brand new bicycle, then you buy a used brand name bicycle off of Kijiji, Craigslist or Pinkbike..... or any fleamarket, pawnshop etc etc.

Brands like Rocky Mountain, Specialized etc etc etc are good quality bicycles.

Stay away from bicycle shaped objects like Huffy, Next and the like

Again I will repeat - Stay Away From Walmart, Their only goal is to sell, in mass, cheap bikes that dont last long.

Look for good quality components, like Shimano and SRAM.

If the bicycle has plastic brake levers, its no good.

what about k2? i have a rigid specialized bike and its a solid bike, just is hard to go down the mountain with it xD is the k2 attack 3 good for $200-$300?

and i never was going to buy a bike from walmart. i was just saying it to prove my point in full suspension price deviation.

1 minute ago, Legolessed said:

what about k2? i have a rigid specialized bike and its a solid bike, just is hard to go down the mountain with it xD is the k2 attack 3 good for $200-$300?

You are looking for a full suspension bicycle are you.

The only K2 I know of is Ski's.

Are you looking for a true Downhill full suspension bike with huge travel for large drops off cliffs and to soak up huge rocks?

18 minutes ago, yathis said:

You are looking for a full suspension bicycle are you.

The only K2 I know of is Ski's.

Are you looking for a true Downhill full suspension bike with huge travel for large drops off cliffs and to soak up huge rocks?

i mean everything i would be doing on that bike would be mountain biking but a lot of that biking wouldnt be big drops it would be a flatter singletrack, and then on the occasion i can get a shuttle somewhere than ya id be going down the mountain and carpooling back up

7 hours ago, Legolessed said:

Recently i have gotten very into the mountain biking realm. I just have a rigid bike that i used to get from place to place and i have been using that same bike for everything. I started on smaller runs it it felt fine but when i took a trip up to shweitzer mountain in idaho and rode, it hurt and i felt like i didnt have a lot of control. I did quite a few of the runs but just every little thing in the trail i felt and the fork on my bike is definitly too far forward. Sot aht leads me to the question, i want a new mountain bike, but i have no idea what to get. I dont want to spend over $500 so the new market is mostly off limits. I have found full suspension bikes ranging all over the place and knoe there has to be a difference, but i honestly dont know what to look for. 

I found the genesis bike at walmart for $149 and that is the cheapest bike i have seen with full suspension but it must be crap because its cheaper than most rigid bikes. Ive also seen a mongoose gsx 9, and a k2 attack 3 for around $200. These all have full suspension but again they must be crap for the price xD. I have also found listings like this where they seem really good but they also seem way to good to be true. any suggestions?

i use a $50 bike that was on sale at walmart, its pretty good (as far as i can tell it has a suspension so that means its good right?)

@Wedsea040 @Star Paladin Vinyl

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

7 hours ago, MathiasVN said:

Step 4. Never buy Giant, only had bs with their bikes.

Not my experience I snapped one of their 07 frames dirt jumping and they replaced it free of charge.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

my first bike was $2172 out the door, trek is usually pretty good. santa cruz as well. specialized is overpriced.

$2-3k is standard for aluminum bike

$4-8k for carbon

hard tail is ok at $1500 but really for the slight bump in price going FS is worth it.