Apple AirPods - My Experience

I've had Apples's AirPods for about two weeks now, and here's how they've treated me. 

Why I bought the AirPods

I have the iPhone 7 and obviously, no headphone jack. I find headphones to be uncomfortable and I can only wear them for about 30 minutes before having to take them off. I also listen to a lot of music, with the LightningPods, I couldn't charge and listen at the same time. Sure, I could order Beats but Apple's Ecosystem tends to work well together. 

Ordering

I ordered mine off of BestBuy, and it was supposed to arrive on July 11th when I ordered them on June 27th. (Apple's are supposed to ship in six weeks). To my surprise, they arrived in a week. 

First Impressions

I put them through their paces, and I ran out of charge halfway though the day. I threw them in their charging case, made lunch, and ten minutes later, they were saved from their near battery death. I was quite surprised about how fast they charged in their case. About the case, though. It's sort of, awkward to carry? It's too small to put in my bag, and I'm afraid I'll loose it in my pocket.

Two weeks later

They sounded good for all I care. I'm not an audiophile, I listen to music and watch YouTube, that's about all I use them for. As I said above, the actual earbuds charge very quickly. I'm able to last 4 1/2 hours, grab a snack, and I'm ready to go again. The actual case doesn't charge as quickly, but I charge it every other day when I'm using my phone. The auto-pause feature is very nice. It's convenient and quick to pause the track or video. I don't use Siri at all. I have a playlist that doesn't really make me skip any tracks, and for YouTube, I'm watching it on my phone so it's already out in my hand. For the actual size of the buds, I always put them back in the case when I'm not using them, so they're hard to loose. I also haven't had an issue of them falling out of my ears, they fit very well but it doesn't get uncomfortable.

Final word

I really haven't had a bad experience with the Apple AirPods. They're a great piece of tech, although fairly pretty expensive. If you're looking for wireless earbuds, you can't really go wrong if you have an iPhone. 

W

1 minute ago, lukestechtips said:

you can't really go wrong if you have an iPhone. 

ell you could go wrong. Cuz like, budget. But nice review!

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

4 minutes ago, lukestechtips said:

you can't really go wrong if you have an iPhone. 

You've already went wrong if you have an iPhone

/s

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

3 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

You've already went wrong if you have an iPhone

/s

My brother got an iPhone 7, it was get a free one or pay full price for only one. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not in the market for wireless headphones atm since I'm still rocking a iPhone 6s and Apple decided to keep the headphone jack on everything that doesn't need the extra space in the chassis.......but when I am I will almost certainly get AirPods. 

Having one pair of headphones that can just work between whatever Apple device I'm using, my Mac, iPhone, iPad, or even Apple Watch is just way too cool. 

And surprisingly they don't cost much more than other independent bluetooth headphones and for what extra you do pay, you get way better technology and quality of build if not sound. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I'm already waiting for my pair of Airpods and another one for my wife. We are already using Bose QC35 but for the summer the Airpods will be much better. I don't quite understand why it's so hard to find true Airpods alternative, all of the "alternatives" are in-ear!

Also, prepare for the Apple-hate train

EDIT AFTER 15 HOURS: Where's the Apple-hate train...? Illuminati...?

• 2 months later...

It's a bump, I know. Anyways, Apple AirPods, four months later.

The case:

All of the dirt and lint caught inside the case that I can't reach with my finger, or can easily clean is a nightmare. It's just easily stated as a nightmare. 

Issues that I've had:

I haven't have had that many, quite honestly, but the ones that I have had have really tainted the user experience. I have issues with connectivity somtimes, where the earbuds refuse to connect, despite them being fully charged and in my ears, and I've had other times when the connection breaks entirely, causing Ed Sheeran and Eminem to blast everywhere. I've also recently have had an issue with charging, where I tried charging them overnight and they have failed to do so, charged the case to make sure and charged the AirPods again. Nothing. Turns out I had some dust/dirt on the connection pins at the bottom of the case, not something some compressed air couldn't fix ;). 

Pairing with other devices:

I was using a chromebook at school (ew, I know) and trying to get these things paired to any other non-apple device is difficult. Like, you'll spend ten minutes then give up difficult. 

I've also noticed that when I opened my AirPods case, some other people that own an iPhone got a notification to connect to the AirPods because they were in the detectable vicinity. 

Final Thought:

It's a first-generation product, but they're $160 Bluetooth earbuds. $160 dollars, and I'm having issues with dropping connectivity when I'm holding my phone. If I were buying these now, I'd wait for a version two to be released (I know there's a new case coming for wireless charging, but Apple is selling the case and you can keep your current earbuds). If you're in the market for wireless earbuds, I suggest you reconsider.