Can thermal pads melt and provoke a shortcircuit?

3rrant

As the title says, what do you think of this? The card has been running at 75°c for about two weeks.

20170717_180646.jpg

20170717_180655.jpg

20170717_180656.jpg

IMG_20170717_182444.jpg

Anything and everything will melt if heated to a sufficient temp. Are those after market pads? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Anything and everything will melt if heated to a sufficient temp. Are those after market pads? 

No, they are Sapphire original.

1 minute ago, ErrantNyles said:

No, they are Sapphire original.

sapphire really like gooy pads, same on my 280X. they are fine, that should be non conductive

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

This is why you don't mine with consumer GPUs.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If it was going to short it would've already 

Smoking weed at the red light like its legal

Just now, HunterSkater429 said:

If it was going to short it would've already 

It doesn't work anymore actually, since a few hours. That's why I investigated xD

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

This is why you don't mine with consumer GPUs.

Really smart. Please teach me.

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

sapphire really like gooy pads, same on my 280X. they are fine, that should be non conductive

I had a 280X too, and it worked great. But well, this is quite different..

Just now, ErrantNyles said:

It doesn't work anymore actually, since a few hours. That's why I investigated xD

Lol I don't like miners so rip 

Smoking weed at the red light like its legal

Just now, ErrantNyles said:

The first step is to stop mining because consumer hardware is not meant to run at 100% 24/7, this is why so many GPUs died after a few months or years of bitcoin mining.

Waste of hardware, and barely makes any money to offset the power costs and the hardware cost.

Step two is to use the GPU for what it's meant for, which is graphics and games.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Most thermal interfaces are designed to have as low electrical conductivity as possible to avoid this problem. The only issue this presents though is that it has capacitance (but at the distances between components, it shouldn't really matter).

In any case, if there was a short, something would've popped.

Looks like condensation may have been occurring.  That's far too much non electrically conductive oils coming out of the pads.  

Can thermal pads melt

Yes, but many are silicone so if they melt then the rest of your computer has melted as well. (cheaper ones might be paraffin but you should avoid those).

and provoke a short circuit?

Nope, they're non-conductive (electrically speaking) so you're fine.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Looks like condensation may have been occurring.  That's far too much non electrically conductive oils coming out of the pads.  

Condensation would not happen on hot components. Unless the air in the room is somehow hotter than components and at 100% relative humidity. (Basically won't happen.)

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

33 minutes ago, ErrantNyles said:

this looks like the same amount of bleed as the pads on mine, around the same as my Gigabyte G1. i wouldent consider it a problem

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

25 minutes ago, pyrojoe34 said:

Condensation would not happen on hot components. Unless the air in the room is somehow hotter than components and at 100% relative humidity. (Basically won't happen.)

Won't implies it can't happen, yet it can.   Temps and humidity cycle in some people's operating environment.  

Notice the corrosion highlighted?  That's not from the thermal pad's non-conductive oils.  

20170717_180656.jpg.3a8c2bf1b716903c65968868ddd6e31e.jpg

12 minutes ago, pyrojoe34 said:

There's a lot of humidity here, so it might be a problem. The case was left open for a few days.

11 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Won't implies it can't happen, yet it can.   Temps and humidity cycle in some people's operating environment.  

Notice the corrosion highlighted?  That's not for the thermal pad's non-conductive oils.  

This corrosion might be dust more than humidity, I'll check it out.

7 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Notice the corrosion highlighted?  That's not for the thermal pad's non-conductive oils.  

It's extremely unlikely to happen, particularly in his situation. Since he was running it 24/7 the components were always hotter than ambient. Maybe in a situation where the computer is off gets really cold, then hot, very humid air enters the room, sure it may happen. But if the component is on and running 24/7 it won't condense.

It's maybe possible that he had something else drip down onto it or had an AIO with a leak, just extremely unlikely that anything condensed directly to the card.

Also, oils or adhesives can dissolve minerals that leave "stains" or induce corrosion if it's a poorly chosen one. Water is more common but oils/adhesives can also cause this to happen.

Primary PC-

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

Laptop-

Spoiler

1 minute ago, pyrojoe34 said:

It's extremely unlikely to happen, particularly in his situation. Since he was running it 24/7 the components were always hotter than ambient. Maybe in a situation where the computer is off gets really cold, then hot, very humid air enters the room, sure it may happen. But if the component is on and running 24/7 it won't condense.

It's maybe possible that he had something else drip down onto it or had an AIO with a leak, just extremely unlikely that anything condensed directly to the card.

Also, oils or adhesives can dissolve minerals that leave "stains" or induce corrosion if it's a poorly chosen one. Water is more common but oils/adhesives can also cause this to happen.

The AIO seems fine, no apparent leaks at the moment but I will test it later

8 minutes ago, pyrojoe34 said:

As another example.  People that run their PCs adjacent large portable air conditioners.  As the unit cycles in and out of operation the case and component temps of parts of their rigs change dramatically in a short time.  Best thing that you can do to offset this is to separate the two as much as possible.  

Air coming out of the air conditioner's returns are often 20 or more degrees lower then the ambient air.  Let that cool components long enough and it brings the temps of certain parts within the rig down substantially especially if the load on the rig is not constant.  Once the air conditioner cycles off in it's normal operation, the air surrounding those cooler parts becomes warm and you get the rest of the story.  

• 8 months later...

was looking for this info myself, old thread but yes, my evga gtx 1080 has the replacement rubber pads and this goo was present. comes off with alcohol good enough.