Can we have a LAN party in an Airplane?

IAmAndre

Hi

Let's assume I'm travelling with my friends. Can I use a router to create a local network and have a LAN party or is it not allowed? Does it depend on the flight company or do the staff I'm actually dealing with? What harm could it have? And if we do, could we say that we beat the last record held by LTT and their friends?

Thanks

the airline might get weirded out that there is a wifi network on a plane that wasn't there when they took off but i dont think anyone would care

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

A simple network switch would be enough, if all your laptops have ethernet ports (or you use usb ethernet cards). Would be safest for the plane and also fast.

Ideally, the switch would be powered from 5v, so that you could power it from one usb 3 port on your laptop.

// also not sure how well the wireless signal would propagate through pressurized air and in a metal can where it would reflect/refract/whatever a lot on the walls.

It's possible, but you shouldn't do it. Be kind to the other passengers, they spent a lot of money to be crammed into tiny seats breathing in all the smells that come with tightly packed people in a metal tube. Adding more annoyances to an already bad situation is inconsiderate.

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

A simple network switch would be enough, if all your laptops have ethernet ports (or you use usb ethernet cards). Would be safest for the plane and also fast.

Ideally, the switch would be powered from 5v, so that you could power it from one usb 3 port on your laptop.

Just now, Himommies said:

I would call the airline first.And instead of using a Router I would use a network switch and kindof daisy chain them together

While logical, I think the airline/staff would be much more concerned about cables running between seats as opposed to a wifi network.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

While logical, I think the airline/staff would be much more concerned about cables running between seats as opposed to a wifi network.

I don't know cable seem more reasonable than wifi.Just call the airline

My life

I'd say the best option would be to get a few adjacent seats and use ethernet to a switch. Please do this xD 

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

I just cannot imagine the staff on board allowing this, of course if it is really local like your just 3 people sitting next to eachother I don't think you would have a problem but the moment you start putting wires to other rows I think you would weird the staff out and they would ask you to stop your shenanigans 

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Good luck getting that much bomb worthy equipment on a plane.

1 minute ago, YedZed said:

I've always had a wireless router in my backpack every time I've flown, no issues to date so far. A HooToo Tripmate Nano is perfect for 5 person LAN parties. :)

-KuJoe

just use wifi. Have the machine hosting the game run wifi in AP mode.

The airplane itself has wifi and other things, gone are the days where you could interfere with the plane's instruments. Just make sure to game once the plane is at altitiude

Just now, KuJoe said:

I've always had a wireless router in my backpack every time I've flown, no issues to date so far. A HooToo Tripmate Nano is perfect for 5 person LAN parties. :)

Just be sure to name the wifi network something logical like:

"NotABombIPromise" or "We'reNotGonnaDie"

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, YedZed said:

As long as they can prove everything operates then they should be allowed to bring it on the plane. For example, I'm pretty sure they ask you to open and turn on your laptop before you can carry it on the plane.

Just now, KuJoe said:

was it an asus GT-AC5300?

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Just be sure to name the wifi network something logical like:

"NotABombIPromise" or "We'reNotGonnaDie"

Why does the SSID matter? Hide it and nobody else will notice it unless they go looking. :)

-KuJoe

3 minutes ago, System Error Message said:

was it an asus GT-AC5300?

Nope.

5 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

A HooToo Tripmate Nano is perfect for 5 person LAN parties. :)

-KuJoe

6 minutes ago, theninja35 said:

As long as they can prove everything operates then they should be allowed to bring it on the plane. For example, I'm pretty sure they ask you to open and turn on your laptop before you can carry it on the plane.

Well how do you test a switch right there at the station? hm

many titles need a connection to the licence server, Origin or what ever, what titles are you needing to run? Can it be run on a LAN at all, not so many titles that run on a LAN these days....

1 minute ago, LucasRem said:

many titles need a connection to the licence server, Origin or what ever, what titles are you needing to run? Can it be run on a LAN at all, not so many titles that run on a LAN these days....

What did Linus play by HighLANder?

You could easily be banned from the Airplane with all these terrorist attacks going on and the like. Don't do it. You should not do this. There is a reason they ask you to put your devices into FLIGHT MODE. It's so you cannot connect to WiFi or your mobile network until you are out of the plane.

If you used Bluetooth you might be alright but whether or not you can do this with more than two people I'm not sure. I've hosted Bluetooth LAN sessions with other people before with ease.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

4 minutes ago, LucasRem said:

many titles need a connection to the licence server

Every source game I know lets you set sv_lan to 1 and the connect directly to the host via a single command. No internet connection needed.

-KuJoe

Brennan_Price,

It's been a long time, what was the last trip you made, Int? They advertise fast onboard Wifi now, you got stuck in the 90th....

8 minutes ago, LucasRem said:

Brennan_Price,

It's been a long time, what was the last trip you made, Int? They advertise fast onboard Wifi now, you got stuck in the 90th....

Last flight I made was on the 10th. No WiFi was advertised and flight mode HAD to be on.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz