GPU equivalent of Memtest86?

kelvinhall05

Something is dying. I'm starting to suspect (or consider, since I honestly have no idea what's causing the issue) that the GPU is the issue since I get LOTS of artifacting (I can't remember the last time I've been able to play a full match without freezing or crashing). Anyways, I was wondering, is there a Memtest86 equivalent for vRAM? Thanks!

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

you can try OCCT, but testing VRAM is very tricky since VRAM is not accessed the same way as system RAM

do some looped benchmarks, like Unigine Valley, Heaven or the new one (SuperPosition) for around 1h+

if you see artifacting ... it's pretty much fucked

removed drivers with ddu and reinstalled?
removed any overclock?
might be worth adding voltage and underclocking core/mem for testing

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

artifact blocks showing up usually indicates something is wrong with the GPU, I guess you are on the right track allready. I'm not aware of such a program, but what yare you GPUs temps like and which model is it ?

1 minute ago, McHox said:

removed drivers with ddu and reinstalled?
removed any overclock?
might be worth adding voltage and underclocking core/mem for testing

I've completely reinstalled drivers (after uninstalling them with DDU, of course).

I've removed all my overclocks since for some reason they give me worse performance in a game.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

artifact blocks showing up usually indicates something is wrong with the GPU, I guess you are on the right track allready. I'm not aware of such a program, but what yare you GPUs temps like and which model is it ?

It's a Sapphire HD 7950 3gb with the Dual X cooler (although only one fan works). Temps are always under 60, if not under 50 degrees.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

you can try OCCT, but testing VRAM is very tricky since VRAM is not accessed the same way as system RAM

dome some looped benchmarks, like Unigine Valley, Heaven or the new one (SuperPosition) for around 1h+

if you see artifacting ... it's pretty much fucked

I'll try that. How long should I run it for?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

although only one fan works

and you realy complain about artifacts? like seriously? dude!

I guess your VRAM is running hot as hell and is not getting meassured by the GPUs sensors. maybe the GPU chip itself is running rather ok with 50-60° but the RAM a few cenitimeters to the side maybe be much hotter...

2 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

and you realy complain about artifacts? like seriously? dude!

I guess your VRAM is running hot as hell and is not getting meassured by the GPUs sensors. maybe the GPU chip itself is running rather ok with 50-60° but the RAM a few cenitimeters to the side maybe be much hotter...

Thing is, when I got the card, it worked like new, even with the broken fan. There was absolutely no artifacting. Another option is that I've gotten two crashes followed by beep codes indicating a CPU failure.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

9 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I do not know, 1h !?

9 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

It's a Sapphire HD 7950 3gb with the Dual X cooler (although only one fan works). Temps are always under 60, if not under 50 degrees.

Did you get the card used? My guess is the VRam is having issues,yeah so test it with what @zMeul

said

10 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

as long as possible and see how long it ran before u saw artifacting (If u saw any)

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

@zMeul @Gaurav S Rao @McHox @ItsTheDuckAgain

Not only am I getting lots of artifacting, but when I ran it in error checking mode, I got literally hundreds of errors. It's still running, I'm going to let it go for an hour.

EDIT: This was before it was even running for 90 seconds.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

@zMeul @Gaurav S Rao @McHox @ItsTheDuckAgain

Not only am I getting lots of artifacting, but when I ran it in error checking mode, I got literally hundreds of errors. It's still running, I'm going to let it go for an hour.

EDIT: This was before it was even running for 90 seconds.

Which program reported the errors?

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

2 minutes ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

Which program reported the errors?

OCCT. When you run the test with error checking mode on, it has a counter with all the temps and stuff.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

OCCT. When you run the test with error checking mode on, it has a counter with all the temps and stuff.

Oh,maybe it's time for an upgrade.

1 minute ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

Oh,maybe it's time for an upgrade.

Yeah, I was planning on upgrading the part(s) that is (are) dying, but I don't know 100% which one it is, although I am almost certain that it's the GPU.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Yeah, I was planning on upgrading the part(s) that is (are) dying, but I don't know 100% which one it is, although I am almost certain that it's the GPU.

Do u have a spare crap GPU lying around that works 100%? Try that in your system and see if that reports any errors too

Just now, Gaurav S Rao said:

Do u have a spare crap GPU lying around that works 100%? Try that in your system and see if that reports any errors too

I have a spare crap GPU, but I don't know if it works 100%.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

18 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I have a spare crap GPU, but I don't know if it works 100%.

U can get some PCIe GPU's for likes less than $1

@ItsTheDuckAgain @zMeul @Gaurav S Rao @McHox

After running it for about 15 minutes, I'm getting lots of artifacting. Is my GPU dying then?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

@ItsTheDuckAgain @zMeul @Gaurav S Rao @McHox

After running it for about 15 minutes, I'm getting lots of artifacting. Is my GPU dying then?

Probably the answer is....

Yes

You can get a replacement GPU (or a upgrade) here for cheap:https://us.webuy.com/search/index.php?stext=Graphics+Cards&section=&is=1

Try it with the GPU u dont know works 100% because GPU artifiacting isnt sooo common problem with GPU's right now,and urs probably has because it might be used heavily,try baking the card (but you are wasting a oven for a graphics card which is not worth a lot anymore :P)

5 minutes ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

Try it with the GPU u dont know works 100% because GPU artifiacting isnt sooo common problem with GPU's right now,and urs probably has because it might be used heavily,try baking the card (but you are wasting a oven for a graphics card which is not worth a lot anymore :P)

How would I "waste an oven"? Does it break the oven somehow?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

5 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

How would I "waste an oven"? Does it break the oven somehow?

Nope,but food baked in the oven after the GPU is baked might just get contaminated,further making the oven useless,just the only suitable thing would be to use that oven to bake another GPU later.... thats it.

1 hour ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

Nope,but food baked in the oven after the GPU is baked might just get contaminated,further making the oven useless,just the only suitable thing would be to use that oven to bake another GPU later.... thats it.

OK. Right now, I'm installing drivers for the shitty card. Hopefully, the GPU is the issue and not something like the motherboard or CPU.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈