92c° on air cooling, worth it to go water?

I got my X5650 @ 4,5Ghz but the temps are running high (92c°) on a Scythe Mugen 4, should I get an AIO like the Cooler Master Seidon 240V? And I am using good thermal paste.

3 minutes ago, ILikeBigTree said:

I got my X5650 @ 4,5Ghz but the temps are running high (92c°) on a Scythe Mugen 4, should I get an AIO like the Cooler Master Seidon 240V? And I am using good thermal paste.

well since you overclocked by about 100% I would be grateful that the system is stable :-)

but yes, water will bring it down more, allthough syth muggen 4 is a decent aircooler. I guess about 70° on water with that overclock, hard to tell.

Just now, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

well since you overclocked by about 100% I would be grateful that the system is stable :-)

but yes, water will bring it down more, allthough syth muggen 4 is a decent aircooler. I guess about 70° on water with that overclock, hard to tell.

Well I got it stable on 4,61Ghz but reached 96c° within a few seconds and thermal throttled. Went back to 4,5Ghz

1 minute ago, RollinLower said:

if you go for water on such a high OC then i suggest you get a 280 or maybe even 360 AIO. the bigger the radiator space the better at this point :P

240 is the biggest I can go so no chance on a 280 or bigger

1 minute ago, ILikeBigTree said:

should be fine

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

3 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

BTW the temps where during cinebench R15, while gaming I only hit 69c°. (Cinebench score: 1025)

32 minutes ago, ILikeBigTree said:

Umm,you really got a golden chip,means your lucky that the system is even stable,yeah go for a watercooling setup (if there are any for LGA 775) since it would get the temps down a lil' bit

EDIT:Forgot that the X5650 is LGA 1366,anyway those X5xxx CPU's are god at overclocking

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

water cooler would definitely brings the temps down. Also I would add more case fans for better airflow.

23 minutes ago, ILikeBigTree said:

Well I got it stable on 4,61Ghz but reached 96c° within a few seconds and thermal throttled. Went back to 4,5Ghz

Oh,so just get water cooling and OC it to 4.61 GHZ? but maybe the temps might be high

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

1 minute ago, PCNoobie said:

water cooler would definitely brings the temps down. Also I would add more case fans for better airflow.

Yeah.

25 minutes ago, ILikeBigTree said:

22 minutes ago, ILikeBigTree said:

BTW the temps where during cinebench R15, while gaming I only hit 69c°. (Cinebench score: 1025)

Nice score

Should be fine

39 minutes ago, ILikeBigTree said:

You oc'd that chip about 100%, so be grateful that it actually lives through that and give it a good AIO ffs! 92° is way beyond what should be considered ok. A good AIO should be able to bring your temps down to the high 70s

Go push-pull with good fans if you want to get good temps.

Maybe some more case fans as well 

idk

bigger fans, push pull, overvolt your fans to 15v with external psu if you want. i have some delta fans i ramp up if i need. my temps went down 20c going from MUGEN II to corsair h50, that was in 2009. i'm on my 2nd h50 now since the other dried up LOL. 

my x5650 is at 4.5ghz 1.45v and hits 80-85c load p95, which is 63c in any games

1 hour ago, PCNoobie said:

Yeah I am getting a new case with 4 included fans and top mount the radiator cuz in the front there is no clearance for a radiator. And now I am using an old case without any fans, but no side panel cuz the cooler is to damm high.

55 minutes ago, Dr. KEK said:

bigger fans, push pull, overvolt your fans to 15v with external psu if you want. i have some delta fans i ramp up if i need. my temps went down 20c going from MUGEN II to corsair h50, that was in 2009. i'm on my 2nd h50 now since the other dried up LOL. 

Yea I havn't put down the voltage since 4,61Ghz so the voltage is the same so maybe if I put down the voltage it will help the temps for now.

1 hour ago, Droidbot said:

Go push-pull with good fans if you want to get good temps.

Maybe some more case fans as well 

Don't have hardware for push pull and I am holding water already for some time so I am going to water

1 hour ago, black0utm1rage said:

You oc'd that chip about 100%, so be grateful that it actually lives through that and give it a good AIO ffs! 92° is way beyond what should be considered ok. A good AIO should be able to bring your temps down to the high 70s

I am really gratefull, a friend of mine has a Ryzen 7 1700 and my single core performance are better then his so I am happy for that $20 dollar chip. And am not hitting 92c° all the time ilde is 40-55 (depends on the core and background apps)

Oh BTW if someone wants to know I am on a Asus P6T SE motherboard (honestly thought it would suck at over clocking but it is awesome)

that motherboard was pretty standard back in x58 days, you really didn't get much higher OC with EVGA or ASUS RAMPAGE boards, but those boards were $400-700 each.... i paid $172 for my gigabyte motherboard in 2009 and it still works great. dropped in a $40 xeon just like you. before, had a $190 i7 930 from micro center(got someone on another forum to pick up in store).

so with $440 we've basically hadULTRA RYZEN PWNZOR performance since the birth of x58 LOL. 36x pcie lanes and triple channel ram. intel clearly has the edge in IMC performance(2500k and on), but that's besides the point

On 7/17/2017 at 3:01 PM, Dr. KEK said:

that motherboard was pretty standard back in x58 days, you really didn't get much higher OC with EVGA or ASUS RAMPAGE boards, but those boards were $400-700 each.... i paid $172 for my gigabyte motherboard in 2009 and it still works great. dropped in a $40 xeon just like you. before, had a $190 i7 930 from micro center(got someone on another forum to pick up in store).

so with $440 we've basically hadULTRA RYZEN PWNZOR performance since the birth of x58 LOL. 36x pcie lanes and triple channel ram. intel clearly has the edge in IMC performance(2500k and on), but that's besides the point

Oh shit I only paid €130 for: Asus P6T SE, 6GB DDR3, Scythe Mugen 4 and an i7 950. Popped in a total of 18GB and tested it with i7 to see bios version it was the latest version so now the moment of thruth and it worked. But about the case, I am not buying a new case (so I can spend more money on cooling) instead I am going to modify a Proliant ML150 Gen5 to a top 240mm rad and put 2 front 120mm case fans (front rad won't work cuz the rad only has 300mm tubes and I need 500mm so modified top mount it is.

On 7/17/2017 at 1:51 PM, Dr. KEK said:

Just got it stable at 4,637Ghz at 1,475v I will still try to get it lower and yesterday I hit a single core frequentie of 4,799Ghz what is insane at all cores it booted up but crashed in the bios... after a few tries it went into windows but crashed instantly.

Screenshot_20170724-102738.png

3 minutes ago, ILikeBigTree said:

Just got it stable at 4,637Ghz at 1,475v I will still try to get it lower and yesterday I hit a single core frequentie of 4,799Ghz what is insane at all cores it booted up but crashed in the bios... after a few tries it went into windows but crashed instantly.

Screenshot_20170724-102738.png

If you're messing with the base clock without appropriately down-clocking your RAM and GPU, you've got potential for instability.  Just a heads up in case you didn't know.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

If you're messing with the base clock without appropriately down-clocking your RAM and GPU, you've got potential for instability.  Just a heads up in case you didn't know.

I don't have a powerfull GPU (8800GTX) and l don't gane that much and the memory is already low on speed (1333Mhz) and 4,637Ghz is the max I will go