mrchow19910319

How many of you is guilty of "I know this is way too overkill for me but I got it anyway" syndrome?

How many of you is guilty of "I know this is way too overkill for me but I got it anyway" syndrome?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Be honest here guys XD

• Yup. Totally me.
    • Nope. I ONLY buy what suits me.

11 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

That's a good thing. You should be proud of it. 

Did you find less interest in gaming? So you starting to buy hardware that is not that high end or? 

One thing I always wanted is to not stop gaming even if I was busy, I know it sounds childish but... That's what I wanted and still want. The thing is now I don't care that much about what kind of game I play or where I play it, I feel good jumping from Overwatch to Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer to Shadow Tactics to RIVE to Wonferful 101. A few months ago I sold my rig (i7 4700k GTX970) and bought a Razer Blade so I could work and play whenever and wherever I want. Not so good graphics and FPS (I'd love to get a laptop with 120hz one of these days...), but now I can play even more!

BTW, I recommend Shadow Tactics to anyone that likes Commando or even any RTS.

P.D. I just want to be clear. When I was a kid I was really awful at buying things, in the meaning that I'd save money to buy something waaay overkill for me. One of the worst purchases I did was saving 2 years to buy a Logitech keyboard that I didn't need nor used and ended up breaking doing I don't even remember what. Maybe I was so intensively stupid in those days that I cleaned up my system forever!

Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

When I got my PC I was planning to get an i7 4790K. Then decided against it and got an i5 4690. I still regret not getting the i7. :( But the i5 is still going strong. Rendering videos is not the best but there's nothing I can do... :/

Even for VMware it can be a pain. 

I was the opposite. I had a i7-4770 and I regret getting it. Cos it was overkill for me. I wish I had a core i5 and a more powerful GPU. 

A few months ago I sold everything and surprisingly the i7 hold up its value really great. I sold it at its 68% price point which means I was using it for 5 years and it cost me only 32% of its price. xD Great deal! 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

4 minutes ago, Tiz said:

I set a budget and stick to it. Sometimes I over spend but the next few months I hold myself back. :/

3 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

I was the opposite. I had a i7-4770 and I regret getting it. Cos it was overkill for me. I wish I had a core i5 and a more powerful GPU. 

A few months ago I sold everything and surprisingly the i7 hold up its value really great. I sold it at its 68% price point which means I was using it for 5 years and it cost me only 32% of its price. xD Great deal! 

Nice!  The i7 4790K is retailing for £300+ :( But seeing that I can get Ryzen 1500 with a motherboard and ram for an extra £50. It's worth upgrading. :D  

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4690 |CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: Z97-A | RAM: 4x4GB Kingston Memory 1600mhz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 120GB Kingston V300 SSD | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 20" Dell  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer 302USB Xenyx 5 Input Mixer | Neewer® NW-700 Microphone | Behringer PS400 Micropower Phantom Power Supply

Networking gear: Dell PowerEdge 210 II Domain Controlller | Dell OptiPlex 390 Exchange Server 2010 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco 2811 Internet Router

1 minute ago, Abdul201588 said:

Nice!  The i7 4790K is retailing for £300+ :( But seeing that I can get Ryzen 1500 with a motherboard and ram for an extra £50. It's worth upgrading. :D  

I think ryzen is good. I 'm not really familiar with it. Check it with others. I think most of the people here at this forum can help you with it. 

10 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

I think ryzen is good. I 'm not really familiar with it. Check it with others. I think most of the people here at this forum can help you with it. 

I do plan on getting the R5 1600 CPU with a B350 motherboard and 16gb ram. :) And I might get an SSD as well. 

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4690 |CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: Z97-A | RAM: 4x4GB Kingston Memory 1600mhz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 120GB Kingston V300 SSD | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 20" Dell  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer 302USB Xenyx 5 Input Mixer | Neewer® NW-700 Microphone | Behringer PS400 Micropower Phantom Power Supply

Networking gear: Dell PowerEdge 210 II Domain Controlller | Dell OptiPlex 390 Exchange Server 2010 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco 2811 Internet Router

I'm surprised so many people around here just go ahead and say "hell yeah, I buy things I don't need and I like it". I mean, fuck yeah! One thing I hate is these kind of people that you CLEARLY see they are buying waaay overkill things for their use case but then they make up some ridiculous excuse.

In audiophile equipment this is a horrible plague, friends of mine buying 2500$ headphones saying they notice the difference but they won't let you do a blind test... HA!

Makes me want say to them "What are you, 5 years old? You don't need to make up excuses to buy expensive shit man! Just be honest and enjoy whatever you buy!"

So yeah, I'm proud of you LTT people :')

9 minutes ago, Tiz said:

In audiophile equipment this is a horrible plague, friends of mine buying 2500$ headphones saying they notice the difference but they won't let you do a blind test... HA!

Looks like somebody got some growing up to do. 

17 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

-snip

I do game on it, mostly on weekends.

I do usually have like 50 chrome tabs open though.

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose. By now your name and particulars have been fed into every laptop, desktop, mainframe and supermarket scanner that collectively make up the global information conspiracy, otherwise known as The Beast.

You just be careful. Computers have already beaten the Communists at chess. Next thing you know, they'll be beating humans.