Upgraded to noctua NH-D14, these temps seem right?

Lethalviperr

Hey all,

So I had a cooler master 212 EVO in my rig tad loud with the fan going up and down after dead silence so now running the noctua NH-D14 using the ultra low noise adapters that are supplied with it so both fans running around 900rpm. So the specs, Fractual Define R4 stock fans with an add Fractal Design 140mm R2 fan in the front all running on 5V, cpu is i7 2600K running at 4.4ghz with 1.3volts.

So to the temperatures (using intel burn test on very high).
CM 212 EVO hottest was 66 degrees, noctua NH-D14 using the low noise adapters 70 degrees.

Of course the CM 212 EVO fans was ramping to max but I thought the noctua would have still beaten it?

you are using the low noise adapters which undervolt the fans, if you want full performance, take those off, and plug it straight into the motherboard header

also, do you really need to go to 1.3v? that's rather high to be honest :/

That sounds about right. It seems just a bit hotter than it should be though. I got ~68 celcius for my 3570k at 4.5 ghz using 1.3v and Ivy should be running a bit hotter than Sandy. You have HT but still.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Was just reading the volts from realtemp, in cpu-z it reads 1.28volts still probably a bit high but that's want it wanted to be stable.

Is there any way aside from bad temps for telling that it was a bad mount?

Does the noctua paste take awhile to come good like some brands or?

Ahk cool, WoodenMarker are you using the low noise adapters on your's?

I think I'll give it a couple of days than give it a re-mount a try if temps are still like this, and maybe remove the adapters and see how loud it is cause didn't run the case closed with the fans like that.

I have an i5 2500k @4.5ghz 1.27v and my max temp is 62c on IBT. I'm using NH-D14 with just the middle 140mm fan and ULNA adapter connected to the motherboard. Maybe you should try to re-mount the heatsink and check your case ventilation.

I would try to reseat your heatsink. Or see if you can lower your voltage. I have never been past 66 on IBT, or over 62 in BF4 with my 3570 on the hottest core. Although I do have a more conservative OC than you do.

My Timewaster: i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz 1.19v, Asus P8Z77-V, Noctua NH-D14, Sapphire Radeon HD 7850, 16 GB Corsair Vengance, 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, HAF 912, Logitech G710+, G700

i5 2500k @ 4.4GHZ i got max 55 degree. Maybe my case vent is better.

Try to tightening the screw a little bit more, but not to hard.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 4,6GHZ OC MB: MSI Mpower z77  RAM: Kingston Genesis 1600Mhz CL9 16GB

GPU: ASUS R9 290 Direct CUII  PSU: Corsair AX 860

Ahk cool, WoodenMarker are you using the low noise adapters on your's?

I think I'll give it a couple of days than give it a re-mount a try if temps are still like this, and maybe remove the adapters and see how loud it is cause didn't run the case closed with the fans like that.

Yeah, I am. 

How tight did you mount it? How much thermal paste?

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yeah, I am. 

How tight did you mount it? How much thermal paste?

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

Ahk, yeah I tighten it too the max like it said you do the screws up till they stop. I used the pea method and i think I got it about right, dot about 4mm wide in the centre of the cpu.

I cleaned the cpu and cooler with 100% isopropanol and a brand new microfiber cloth before install as I botched the first attempt the cooler didn't clean up nice at all but I figured it was just more of a stain I reckon that might have something to do with it?

Ahk, yeah I tighten it too the max like it said you do the screws up till they stop. I used the pea method and i think I got it about right, dot about 4mm wide in the centre of the cpu.

I cleaned the cpu and cooler with 100% isopropanol and a brand new microfiber cloth before install as I botched the first attempt the cooler didn't clean up nice at all but I figured it was just more of a stain I reckon that might have something to do with it?

4mm wide seems about right and a bit on the high side. Less paste is usually better. 

It doesn't have to look shiny or anything. As long as full contact is there, it'll perform well.