warranty coverage issues

dear all

i want to discuss this topic and would love if linus cover in future videos. i personally suffered many times from bad customer service. i recently bought a MSI laptop and i got small issue with the keyboard and they refuse to look at the laptop until i pay certain amount of money since i am asking for the warranty service in another country. then i thought why do they have 1 year global warranty if they want me to pay around 70$ for a 2-3 $ issue with one key in the keybaord. so i send them email and here is the reply:

Ticket:
warranty update

Content:

Dear nadeem,
the policy is decided by Malaysia sales,Reason to protect our Malaysia partners for any price discrepancy in the future.
if you don't want to pay such admin fee, you can send your unit to US local repair center for testing

Thank you for purchasing MSI products.

funny they want me to send the unit to US while i am doing my research since i am doing my PHD and now post doctorate.

what do you think about this?? am i wrong in feeling that i got scammed that they should cover for warranty without any fees ???

Bad luck man, I guess. My only experience with RMAs is with Corsair, and I had a great experience with them. The most recent one was for a broken power switch (hell yeah) on a very new Crystal case. They answer my ticket in less than 24h, and in three days I had my replacement for free in Europe.

it will be great if we can make a full scale coverage of companies warranty service. by the way i end up buying the plastic key and it cost me 3$ and i fix it my self. and i actually dont want to do any thing with MSI again.

I have no idea the consumer law that you have in Malaysia, I'd recommend you have a look at it or the country you bought the laptop from.

But I know in the Australian Consumer Law, it is illegal to charge fees to diagnose an issue, they can charge you if they find no fault with the product after they test it, but they cannot charge a fee beforehand or if it is a warranty issue. Also their warranty is "Not fit for purpose" if they are expecting you to ship the laptop overseas, which could entitle you to a refund

Plus you can also send the device back to the store that you bought it off, and do the warranty through them.

That said, I don't know anything about the Malaysian consumer law, so non of that may apply to you, I'd recommened you look and see what grounds you have against them

I have no idea the consumer law that you have in Malaysia, I'd recommend you have a look at it or the country you bought the laptop from.

But I know in the Australian Consumer Law, it is illegal to charge fees to diagnose an issue, they can charge you if they find no fault with the product after they test it, but they cannot charge a fee beforehand or if it is a warranty issue. Also their warranty is "Not fit for purpose" if they are expecting you to ship the laptop overseas, which could entitle you to a refund

Plus you can also send the device back to the store that you bought it off, and do the warranty through them.

That said, I don't know anything about the Malaysian consumer law, so non of that may apply to you, I'd recommened you look and see what grounds you have against them

i dont think this is related to malaysian law. it is a global policy of MSI to cover for warranty. they refuse to look at my laptop unless i pay registration fee of around 70-80$. they never mention that global warranty is subject to local fees or registeration

Literally on first sentence of MSI's global warranty page:

Attention: Remarks Of Product Warranty Term

The warranty term differs from one region to another. If you would like to verify the warranty term of the product bought, please kindly contact our local offices.

While it might be talking about length of warranty, it also could mean terms of service vary between regions. Like in hear all electronics sold by companies operating in Finland must have 1 year warranty without any extra payments. Which means that companies who are selling cheap Chinese stuff operate outside, but offer 6mo warranty to have some competitive edge on "higher" end stuff.

In all this isn't something that could be tackled by single video. It would require ton of research and contacting manufacturers, local officials and so on. Just inside Europe things vary between countries while EU has 1 years warranty across.

Plus, it says on MSI page to handle warranty with store prior to their service. Which is why I always caution people who buy electronics overseas to make sure manufacturer has proper international warranty.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

13 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Literally on first sentence of MSI's global warranty page:

While it might be talking about length of warranty, it also could mean terms of service vary between regions. Like in hear all electronics sold by companies operating in Finland must have 1 year warranty without any extra payments. Which means that companies who are selling cheap Chinese stuff operate outside, but offer 6mo warranty to have some competitive edge on "higher" end stuff.

In all this isn't something that could be tackled by single video. It would require ton of research and contacting manufacturers, local officials and so on. Just inside Europe things vary between countries while EU has 1 years warranty across.

Plus, it says on MSI page to handle warranty with store prior to their service. Which is why I always caution people who buy electronics overseas to make sure manufacturer has proper international warranty.

i agree with you. in future i will defiantly make sure that the company i plan to buy its product has a clear and good track of international warranty, but it is not easy to collect that kind of information on such matter i guess this can be a good topic to be researched academically to assess and propose a solution for such matter

On 7/17/2017 at 2:37 AM, nadeem said:

dear all

i want to discuss this topic and would love if linus cover in future videos. i personally suffered many times from bad customer service. i recently bought a MSI laptop and i got small issue with the keyboard and they refuse to look at the laptop until i pay certain amount of money since i am asking for the warranty service in another country. then i thought why do they have 1 year global warranty if they want me to pay around 70$ for a 2-3 $ issue with one key in the keybaord. so i send them email and here is the reply:

funny they want me to send the unit to US while i am doing my research since i am doing my PHD and now post doctorate.

what do you think about this?? am i wrong in feeling that i got scammed that they should cover for warranty without any fees ???

I know for a fact that Googles warranty on Nexus phones was only good in the Country of purchase. Not all companies  have a global warranty. Sorry to tell you that. Your lucky they are even trying to help. This is why you do research on the warranty before buying goods out of your country. Because not all companies will offer a global warranty. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 19/7/2017 at 3:07 AM, Donut417 said:

I know for a fact that Googles warranty on Nexus phones was only good in the Country of purchase. Not all companies  have a global warranty. Sorry to tell you that. Your lucky they are even trying to help. This is why you do research on the warranty before buying goods out of your country. Because not all companies will offer a global warranty. 

but i said that they do offer global warranty and since they do it should be covered so your comment actually has nothing to do with this. also we shouldn't be feeling lucky to be supported we are the customers and they should be lucky if we buy from them not the vice versa

4 hours ago, nadeem said:

but i said that they do offer global warranty and since they do it should be covered so your comment actually has nothing to do with this. also we shouldn't be feeling lucky to be supported we are the customers and they should be lucky if we buy from them not the vice versa

They also don't always cover shipping. I've had to pay to send products in before.

My advice is don't buy from them again as you don't like the warranty policy. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.