DAC and Amp Help

BestPCBuilder2017
Go to solution Solved by Dackzy,
12 minutes ago, NCIX Lampy said:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck.......................

I'm thinking about a modi2, but I don't know what to get for a tube amp then. The DarkVoice you stated seems to be sold out/discontinued 

it comes on massdrop from time to time for 200$ https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00CF9JON8/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1500285663&sr=8-1&keywords=darkvoice&condition=new There you have it for 310$

2 minutes ago, NCIX Lampy said:

@Dackzy If you could help on this if you're available

So if I wanted a "transparent" sound, I would avoid the tube amps, right? I'm not interested in adding anything extra. I just want clarity and purity. I'm not the type of person to add extras afterwards. 

sure. If you want the headphone to be as transparent as they can get you want to go with solid state since they don't color the audio to the same degree.

If you go solid state, then I personally think it is worth spending the extra cash on the NFB 11.28 vs a schiit modi 2 + Magni 2, it is just an amazing combo for the price and it gives you three ways to connect your PC to it, plus a preamp for speakers, so you can control your active speakers' volume with it. You can also do that with the Magni 2 uber, but it is simply not as good of an amp as the one the nfb 11.28 has built in.

What specifications should I be looking for when buying a DAC and amp? I'm planning on Sennheiser HD 650s, but I want to know what to look for exactly for future reference. 

Depends on budget. But like I already told you on the last topic, do not buy HD 650s, buy HD 6XXs

3 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

Depends on budget.

I want to say no budget, but I feel like I would get a response where I would be called an idiot 

Just now, NCIX Lampy said:

I want to say no budget, but I feel like I would get a response where I would be called an idiot 

Well the first thing to get out of the way is buy the HD 6XXs. They are literally HD 650s with a better color for way less

1 minute ago, NCIX Lampy said:

Well you'll get people replying with whatever super expensive set they know of without actually considering what you need and want

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Well the first thing to get out of the way is buy the HD 6XXs. They are literally HD 650s with a better color for way less

You're not getting around that, are you? 

You're not getting around that, are you? 

No because tell me why you would buy the same product for $500 when you could buy it for $200?

3 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well you'll get people replying with whatever super expensive set they know of without actually considering what you need and want

Oh... Okay... 

So... I would have to say a budget or?... 

Oh... Okay... 

Yes say a budget, because if you say you have $5000 budget, then you should be getting better headphones than the HD 6XXs

Oh... Okay... 

I would recommend it.  Even if you kinda do it like me where you don't set a hard limit but instead just sort of decide based on what you can get for the money, you should give a range you expect to be looking at.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Yes say a budget, because if you say you have $5000 budget, then you should be getting better headphones than the HD 6XXs

I can't just get like a good idea or like the most important features you for sure don't want to skip out on or anything? That would still require a budget, just for the general idea of things? 

I can't just get like a good idea or like the most important features you for sure don't want to skip out on or anything? That would still require a budget, just for the general idea of things? 

Yes we need a budget. And it makes us think that you are not serious with this reluctance to give one.

Yes we need a budget. And it makes us think that you are not serious with this reluctance to give one.

Do you not see the issue with that? 

26 minutes ago, NCIX Lampy said:

@Volbet maybe?

Maybe, but my opinion might be controversial.

Unless you're after some very specific features, then most $100-$200 DACs will do just fine. 

For an amp you would have decide if you want to go the tube or the solid state route. 

The Sennheiser HD600/650/6xx all sound really good on tube amps, since their sound can come off a bit sterile and neutered, and a tube amp can help bring some life into them. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Do you not see the issue with that? 

Dude I have no idea what you are talking about. You are obviously a troll and are not serious about actually buying headphones for 2 reasons.

1. You completely ignore the advice to get HD6XXs instead of HD650s to save $300. And it's not like the 6XXs are a similar product to the 650s, IT IS LITERALLY THE EXACT SAME PRODUCT. There isn't any difference between those and the 650s besides the color. No one would pay $300 more for 650s over 6XXs

2. You refuse to give a budget for a DAC and AMP. That's like saying pick me out a car. If you give us no price range than we can give you anything from a Lambo, to a Civic. You have to give us a budget and not just say a good setup. A good setup for those can be anywhere from $300-$100,000+. But if you say you have like I said $5000 to spend on a DAC and AMP, then you need to tell us that because if that is the case then you should not spend that much on an AMP and DAC because it is so overkill and invest in a better set of headphones.

Never ask for advice and refuse to consider it, people will hate you for that. 

4 minutes ago, Volbet said:

Unless you're after some very specific features, then most $100-$200 DACs will do just fine. 

For an amp you would have decide if you want to go the tube or the solid state route. 

The Sennheiser HD600/650/6xx all sound really good on tube amps, since their sound can come off a bit sterile and neutered, and a tube amp can help bring some life itno them, 

I went solid state with balanced for my HD 6XX, because I don't trust myself enough to not burn myself on a tube AMP

Check the pinned topics here in this subsection. @SSL probably can help you out, if those threads aren't sufficient.

3 hours ago, Volbet said:

ok

Do you have a recommended place for where to shop for amps and DACs? I'm thinking Amazon over things like Newegg just because of stock choices and larger market and inventory choices etc... 

Pretty sure I know what tubes are, but could you explain what you mean by "solid state"? 

( I think I could submit an AFAP request for this)

The Sennheiser HD600/650/6xx all sound really good on tube amps, since their sound can come off a bit sterile and neutered, and a tube amp can help bring some life itno them, 

Can you go into detail a bit by what you mean by that? 

3 hours ago, Jade said:

Check the pinned topics here in this subsection. @SSL probably can help you out, if those threads aren't sufficient.

I did, did I miss something in particular? 

ok

Do you have a recommended place for where to shop for amps and DACs? I'm thinking Amazon over things like Newegg just because of stock choices and larger market and inventory choices etc... 

Pretty sure I know what tubes are, but could you explain what you mean by "solid state"? 

( I think I could submit an AFAP request for this)

Can you go into detail a bit by what you mean by that? 

And he ignores me. Of course he does when I am the only one who is actually giving him true advice

23 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

No because tell me why you would buy the same product for $500 when you could buy it for $200?

Depends on where he lives. I got the HD650 new from Amazon for less when the HD6xx were on Massdrop. The shipping cost + tax + fees from US would be almost another +$200.

And he ignores me. Of course he does when I am the only one who is actually giving him true advice

Or I haven't gotten to yours yet................ 

But seeing as how that's the way you're acting, maybe I should? 

Or I haven't gotten to yours yet................ 

But seeing as how that's the way you're acting, maybe I should? 

How I'm acting? Really you are going to go there?