"Never again" products

Mooshi

Corsair cases. Especially their high end one. Flimsy af.

Razer mouse. And pretty much anything razer. 

Android phone. Fuck those buggy OS update and "after 2 years we are gonna stop support your phone" syndrome. 

Edited by wkdpaul
Cleaned up

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

4 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Well I'm not a hardware engineer. And as far as I'm concerned the machines that people say have terrible thermal performance like Razer laptops, MacBooks, etc don't actually have bad thermals, only if you benchmark them to death, or I guess try intense gaming. 

but gamers gonna game yo~ dont hate my lifestyle when you cant be as hip as me yo

/s

1 hour ago, Fooshi said:

Laptops that are not ThinkPads, or at a minimum business laptops. Absolute trash quality laptops, awful keyboards and shitty hardware drove me to using business laptops exclusively. Best decision I've ever made.

Friendly reminder that only some specific models of thinkpad has top notch build quality. Others are not that great.

Research before you buy them. 

1 hour ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

TBF, I don't think there is much to buy off you, therefore you cannot buy anything from yourself.

Well, I have a pile of graphics cards :P Though I'm never selling the god tier 560 Ti and the 290 that just wont die.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Just now, TheRandomness said:

I have a pile of graphics cards :P 

This man got a problem.   /s

4 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Well, I have a pile of graphics cards :P Though I'm never selling the god tier 560 Ti and the 290 that just wont die.

But what genious would buy stuff off you (actually, you sold one of your really dead 750ti's on ebay didn't you?)

Just now, Comic_Sans_MS said:

But what genious would buy stuff off you (actually, you sold one of your really dead 750ti's on ebay didn't you?)

Yep. People who think they can repair will buy it :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

Yep. People who think they can repair will buy it :P

Did you end up buying that LGA 1155 MXM motherboard?

1 hour ago, TheRandomness said:

Well, since all hardware that's died on my end was my own fault.. I guess I wouldn't buy anything from myself?

I know how you feel... I wouldn't buy anything from yourself either. 

sorry

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

Samsung Android phones, as they add so much crap on top
Mid to high end MSI motherboards - their bios and software support is really poor. Low end is ok still as it doesn't have anything to go really wrong.
High speed DDR4 (3200+) - compatibility/stability isn't as great as made out, not worth the hassle. 
TN monitors - IPS for the win
NAS HDs - for my bulk storage needs they don't actually add value over cheaper standard drives
Corsair H110i GTX and similar - the CPU mount is rubbish and the thick tubing is horrible to work with
Any significantly non-standard keyboard shape - they try, they fail. Adding extra media or macro buttons is fine, but big no to changing the size or positioning of standard keys. I particularly hate tiny F keys, weird cursor key positions, and lack of physical non-function pgup/pgdn particularly on laptops.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I live in Rural CA with 120mbps, but I can still stream 1080p on Sprints LTE Network (the shittiest network).......sofullsizeoutput_5da.jpeg.27730d282e02431a8f73dca01d6a229d.jpeg

I have tried lots of things, but nothing seems to have fixed it.. I'm gonna try the W10 Netflix later tonight and see if that streams it any better.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

6 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

not a big fan of Ubisoft but they hit it out of the park with black flag  

I have a love/hate relationship with Ubisoft and Apple. They both are one of the best out there doing their job, both in developing and marketing, so basically I love things like the iPhone SE, Black Flag, Rayman Legends... you get it. And then they come with shit like ultra aggressive DRM, endless open world games which are all the same or the Macbook Pro which would be one of the best laptops in the planet at 2000$ maximum, but at 3200$ its just nuts. So yeah, I love and hate them.

Brands I'd never buy from...

Samsung, cannot stand the crap they add to their amazing phones.

NAS, don't understand what is the target for things like NAS. They are not simple enough for casual people, and for people that know a little more its way, WAY cheaper, faster and better to build a Windows/Linux machine. In fact I got a 50$ mid tower case that can fit 13 HDDs+2 SSD, a 100$ motherboard and a couple PCIex1 sata cards, and then I can install whatever I want and do whatever I want with the machine. In comparison, 1000$ for a 8 slot NAS https://www.amazon.es/Synology-DiskStation-DS1815-Dispositivo-almacenamiento/dp/B00OIP57YW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500288953&sr=8-1&keywords=nas+8+bahias

This thread is a lovely demonstration of the old marketing theory that we tell many more people about bad product experiences than we do about good ones.

I guess the only products I really hate are the netgear isp provided modem routers but that's really my own fault for being a cheapskate.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

6 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

D-Link, for anything

I agree with the D-Link routers, unfortunately my ISP bundled it. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Anything AMD from Gigabyte.

Bought two G1 gaming 390's a while back because they were on sale at the local frys for a pretty good price. Almost immediately one of them gave up the ghost so I RMA'd it.

While that first one was gone one of the fans on the second gpu failed, it had destabilized. So I order a fan of the same dimensions and mounting to replace it. Fuck RMA'ing a second card in less than a month. Get a replacement card from Gigabyte to cover the first that was horridly unstable, and within a month that card too had a fan fail on it in the exact same fashion. Replace the fan on that card as well and now all *seem* to be fine. The coolers perform hideously. The cards throttle constantly at 94c and ~990mhz core. I can guarantee that there is no restriction on airflow for the cards either running in CF. That's absolutely no the problem. I would love to slap a water block on them, or throw an aftermarket cooler on it, but god damned gigabyte moved to a non-reference, custom board layout so they could skimp on component quality and ease the transition of production. Its complete garbage. Avoid Gigabyte AMD cards like the plague.

I don't understand how gigabyte can make excellent Nvidia cards and coolers, and then turn around and completely throw away any notion of quality on their amd cards of the same series.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

1- Razer for peripherals

2- Positivo for laptops

3- Corsair for memory

4- Sentey for anything

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

Apple anything since I can't actually use their stuff the way I would want too due to software restrictions

Sony products after their Tv's and PS2s died so quickly and their warranty system sucked

ASUS, the stories about them on this site have made me avoid them like the plague, why buy a less reliable product for more money and a worse warranty

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

34 minutes ago, Atmos said:

I don't understand how gigabyte can make excellent Nvidia cards and coolers, and then turn around and completely throw away any notion of quality on their amd cards of the same series.

They make a design for nvidia then copy paste the cooler onto the amd card, which is idiotic but ultimately it has to due with a lack of volume of sales on the amd side (ie they cut quality to cut costs since the amd products don't sell as well anyway)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Acer Monitors....

Everytime I have had pixle issues...

Used underware...the cost of antibiotics will break your bank....

but no seriously..no acer monitors 

3 hours ago, scottyseng said:

I second the Zenphone 2. My brother got one, it lasted nine months, then the phone kept turning itself off / refused to turn on. We RMA'd it, the replacement lasted a whopping 7 days before doing the same thing, and then after RMAing it again, it lasted just until the warranty ended and did the same thing. It's replaced now with a different phone.

As for other things, Razer DeathAdder - The one my bro got didn't last longer than a few months, and no warranty support.

Corsair headsets - My cousin had his break very quick...though I hear the new ones are better

AMD drivers - I would like my RAM back AMD (This is on a FirePro V7900 too):

Capture2.PNG.ab660baed906e84be320d07c174daafa.PNG

That's a lot of chrome tabs! ?

Gateway products.

*shudder*

Had a laptop from them for a while and their support was abominable. Any issue I had with the laptop their support would always tell me "reinstall windows" and leave it at that.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

My never again company is Asus after my Asus Nexus 7 tablet's screen started going bad one month out of warranty.

Bomb,AK-47,Intel Pentium 4,Chinese phone chargers,extreme cheap stuff on eBay,2.5 inch floppy disks (O_O).

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

Sandisk flash drive, roxio capture card, ebay ssd, ebay 120mm fan, wd blue hdd (loud), zalman case (gloves required), asrock amd mobo with graphics (driver nightmare), lg smartphones, cheap 1080i gopro clone, apple mice