AMD Stock Cooler

cjeffcoatjr
Go to solution Solved by Ryan Leech,

I overclocked my FX 6350 to 4.4GHz on the stock cooler, and it ran around 58C full load

I am getting parts for a build this Christmas. I will be getting an FX-6300. How will the stock cooler do at stock clock, and how will it do OC'd to 3.7 or 3.8? Temps would be nice also. 

Edit: Case is a Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0

Edited by cjeffcoatjr

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

I am getting parts for a build this Christmas. I will be getting an FX-6300. How will the stock cooler do at stock clock, and how will it do OC'd to 3.7 or 3.8? Temps would be nice also. 

It's not bad if your case has great cooling but a upgrade to a tx3 or evo would be great

It does the job at stock. 3.7-3.8 ghz is reasonable if you have good case airflow. It's not that quiet for oc'ing though. I'd highly recommend getting a Hyper 212 Evo for that.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I have the FX 6300 with the stock cooler, it does the job, that's all. If you're overclocking buy another cooler like the Hyper 212 EVO, this will not cut it.

AMD stock coolers are fine for stock speeds, but I'd recommend upgrading to somthing better if you want to OC a ton.  Noctua has some glorious air cooling solutions that wouldn't cost you too much.  Or, you could join the masses with a hyper 212.

I overclocked my FX 6350 to 4.4GHz on the stock cooler, and it ran around 58C full load

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

How loud was it?

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

How loud was it?

It was quieter than my psu fan...

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

It was quieter than my psu fan...

Awesome. Thanks!

How loud was it?

The 6350 oc's more easily than the 6300 as it is binned higher.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The 6350 oc's more easily than the 6300 as it is binned higher.

So should I pull out the extra $30 to a 6350 or to a 212 EVO?

So should I pull out the extra $30 to a 6350 or to a 212 EVO?

The 6350 isn't worth $30 more. Get the 212 Evo + 6300.